Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

that's one of the first things I'll be looking to upgrade, to be honest. getting rid of the stock rubber brake lines and upgrading to SS braided lines with high temp fluid.
Saved in my to do file...
Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have 352mm on the front of one of my cars lol

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks to me like it has large six lug hubs that make the rotor diameter look small. You don't need big rotor faces if they are large diameter. The clamping and friction force being applied at a larger radius will give you more braking force. If you were going to make laps around a road track as fast as possible non-stop, you might want more rotor so you don't melt them down. I doubt the bronco is being designed/tested for high speed, long term, road track racing.
I think trail driving, crawling, would be much harder on the braking system than driving around a track. High speed probably wouldn't be an issue, but crawling might.

nd2002

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 BMW M2, '18 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think trail driving, crawling, would be much harder on the braking system than driving around a track. High speed probably wouldn't be an issue, but crawling might.
You’re telling me dragging brakes at 5mph will make the rotors glow red?

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not arguing that the rear brakes don't do anything, but we shouldn't be "skimping" on rotor size front or rear.
Agreed I was more so addressing the other posters initial claims that rear brakes are for show.

If we are all purchasing an off road beast, a Sasquatch, we should have oversized rotors designed for high-heat and long runs with people riding the brakes. That's the real world situation people expect from the vehicle, and of course the 60mph to zero.
If people are going long runs and riding the brakes, I 70 around Eisenhower tunnel for example, then yes they can expect some level of brake fade. Even if they had larger brakes / calipers - unless they're upgrading to full carbon-ceramic rotors and pads there will be some level of fade.

But most grades you do at HWY speed in the US you can minimize braking with engine braking.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You’re telling me dragging brakes at 5mph will make the rotors glow red?
Sure. I think people 4wheel at various speeds, but 5mph for a long enough distance will certainly do that. Do a search. First one that popped up for me was a guy using 13" rotors and having trouble stopping in 4low. Suggestion was to pop it into neutral, because of the torque multiplication in 4low. One of the first questions was what's your crawl ratio. Believe it or not, it's a thing.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@L8apex That's my point, there will be fade. There will be. Better brakes are better.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Heat in the rotors will be proportional to the work done slowing or stopping the vehicle. Riding the brakes while crawling isn't going to make the heat that slowing from 100-50mph repeatedly will produce. If a driver with a manual is heating up the brakes because they're riding them, that's on the driver. If an automatic's torque converter stays locked when the driver is standing on the brakes in 4LO, that's bad programming on the manufacturer's part.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think trail driving, crawling, would be much harder on the braking system than driving around a track.
Driving around a race track fast and braking into corners....Not even close....WAY more on the brakes doing that than trails/crawling. Not in the same universe.

nd2002

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 BMW M2, '18 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Heat in the rotors will be proportional to the work done slowing or stopping the vehicle. Riding the brakes while crawling isn't going to make the heat that slowing from 100-50mph repeatedly will produce. If a driver with a manual is heating up the brakes because they're riding them, that's on the driver. If an automatic's torque converter stays locked when the driver is standing on the brakes in 4LO, that's bad programming on the manufacturer's part.
This. Brakes are converting kinetic energy of your moving vehicle to heat. KE = 1/2 mv^2, so the weight of the vehicle and speed will primarily determine the amount of this energy that needs to be converted to heat. Pads and fluid are other factors when considering how fast this energy is converted to heat, but with a tiny "v," I find it hard to see the argument for needing more rotor surface area.

Certainly not trying to say it's pointless having upgraded brakes, but for the use case for the Bronco, it seems that the stock brakes should work just fine for any scenario, including emergency stopping or going down an incline at a low speed.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So size of the tire has no impact on braking, since it is speed of the object in motion and mass of the object (the vehicle, the Bronco versus the object rotating, the tire)? Does the size of the tire impact the amount of torque applied to the brakes?

Is the motor also creating motion, through torque, that travels through the drivetrain, multiplying, and impacting the speed or mass (force or linear motion) that is modulated through the braking system?

These are questions, not statements by the way. Maybe all of the answers are no, and both tire size and crawl ratio have no impact on braking. That's not my experience.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My rear drums with no measurable wear on the shoes after 120K miles beg to differ.
If that’s the case, then your brakes are not balanced properly. There should be automatic proportioning of braking force between the front and the rear brakes in order to keep the braking forces in balance. Too much at either end when hard braking usually leads to directional control problems.

If your rear brakes are not being used at all it means you aren’t stopping as well as you could be.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If that’s the case, then your brakes are not balanced properly. There should be automatic proportioning of braking force between the front and the rear brakes in order to keep the braking forces in balance. Too much at either end when hard braking usually leads to directional control problems.

If your rear brakes are not being used at all it means you aren’t stopping as well as you could be.

No, they are correctly set up. For Toyota, rear brakes are an afterthought. But, at 120K my front pads aren't even worn half way down either, but rear brakes suck on Toyotas even under ideal setup. Who else still puts drums on $50K vehicles in 2021?

Last edited:

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, they are correctly set up. For Toyota, rear brakes are an afterthought. But, at 120K my front pads aren't even worn half way down either, but rear brakes suck on Toyotas even under ideal setup. Who else still puts drums on $50K vehicles in 2021?
If at 120K your rear brakes were doing NOTHING, then your front pads wouldn’t be at >50%. Unless Toyota’s brake supplier, who supplies everyone else, has given them exclusive brake technology.
Sponsored