Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's even worse, not so much cars. But sophisticated tractors, you are captive to the branded dealer for any service that involves hi-tech.
O/T: That's exactly what drove this recent move by Ford...

John C. May, Chairman and CEO of Deere & Co., Named to Ford Board
Dec 9, 2021 | DEARBORN, Mich.

DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 9, 2021 – Ford Motor Company’s board of directors elected John C. May to be a director of the company effective today. May will serve on the Finance, Compensation, Talent and Culture, and Nominating and Governance committees. His appointment expands Ford’s board to 15 members.

May is chairman and CEO of Deere & Company, a world leader in agriculture and construction products, technology and services. He was named to those positions in May 2020 and November 2019, respectively. Under May’s leadership, Deere is revolutionizing the agriculture and construction industries through the rapid introduction of connectivity and advanced technology.

Bill Ford, Ford’s executive chair, said May’s experience helping to transform Deere as a smart industrial company is relevant to Ford’s own ambitious transformation, and brings additional valuable insight to the Ford board.

“Our industry is in an exciting period of disruption and we’re changing Ford in significant ways that are good for all our customers and stakeholders, with advanced technology and digital connectivity at the center,” said Bill Ford. “That’s what Deere is doing in its businesses, making John’s expertise invaluable to our board as the Ford management team executes the company’s strategy for growth and value creation.”
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cpc101

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several Subarus and one old Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
first year vehicles have glitches, especially brand new vehicles of a class a manufacturer hasn't made in some decades.
Precisely the reason I'm waiting. Yes, I'm excited, yes, I want one yesterday, but I'll hold off till '23 to let things shake out more.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

LOL. you have no idea.

If it were as easy as you say then the techs wouldn’t be leaving the business. It just doesn’t add up.
I never said it was an easy job being a mechanic in fact it has become more and more complicated. Maybe you missed what I left out between the lines.

Repairing any vehicle has become more complicated as technology has evolved. Turning a wrench to remove and replace has remained somewhat the same other than metric system and more and more specialized tools that each tech is required to buy on their own dime. But you can't hold an 18" screwdriver against the block with your ear up to the handle and diagnose a bad sparkplug or even rotate the distributor to approach knock.

And it certainly is not because the dealers are charging less so they are making less to pay the techs. $85-$125/hour and the techs stil get $15-$25 plus have $20,000 in financing buying their own tools, yeah, the old guys leave because you can't fix a new car under a shade tree and the young guys leave because of too many reasons to list, although it is easy enough to find within certain labor pools plenty of folks that would rather sit at home than get dirty for a living

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well this past weekend I was out of town on a fishing trip and my fiancé was taking my bronco to work but she barely made it out of the driveaway halfway stuck in the street. Apparently the bronco would not move and it stuck in gear or stuck between 2wheel-4wheel drive. The day before we were in 4wheel driving around because all the roads were icy and just parked it.

The bronco was transported over to the local dealership and apparently their transmission group can't look at till the end of March. So now I am stuck driving a Ford Escape loaner for the next two months. They have no clue what has happened and this is a first for them with the bronco. I have about 14K miles on my bronco and no problems since this past weekend. Plus I am still waiting on my roof replacement. I thought about seeing if I can get some ford pass points so I can use it to purchase a roof rack in the future or a fishing rod holder.

IMG-5098.jpg

IMG-5100.jpg
Hi there! Go ahead and send us a private message with your full name and VIN, I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I never said it was an easy job being a mechanic in fact it has become more and more complicated. Maybe you missed what I left out between the lines.

Repairing any vehicle has become more complicated as technology has evolved. Turning a wrench to remove and replace has remained somewhat the same other than metric system and more and more specialized tools that each tech is required to buy on their own dime. But you can't hold an 18" screwdriver against the block with your ear up to the handle and diagnose a bad sparkplug or even rotate the distributor to approach knock.

And it certainly is not because the dealers are charging less so they are making less to pay the techs. $85-$125/hour and the techs stil get $15-$25 plus have $20,000 in financing buying their own tools, yeah, the old guys leave because you can't fix a new car under a shade tree and the young guys leave because of too many reasons to list, although it is easy enough to find within certain labor pools plenty of folks that would rather sit at home than get dirty for a living
Do the new vehicles at least give a more detailed and specific error msg report, when using a scanner?

My 1998 Jeep TJ is throwing a code, sometimes interpreted as a faulty gas cap (not sealing properly), but in this case that is not the issue. I've been going through the emissions system methodically looking for vacuum leaks and other possible causes of the trouble code.

I've had similar situations with my other 90's and early 2000's vehicles. The electronics are great, and can do amazing things in terms of engine control and reduced maintenance ... but when they have issues especially intermittently, it can be a pain to track down the cause, and when they fail such as an ignition module, I'm typically dead on side of the road.

Hoping the Bronco is better than my older electronic vehicles, in terms of providing good detailed trouble codes and info on what might be the issue.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do the new vehicles at least give a more detailed and specific error msg report, when using a scanner?

My 1998 Jeep TJ is throwing a code, sometimes interpreted as a faulty gas cap (not sealing properly), but in this case that is not the issue. I've been going through the emissions system methodically looking for vacuum leaks and other possible causes of the trouble code.

I've had similar situations with my other 90's and early 2000's vehicles. The electronics are great, and can do amazing things in terms of engine control and reduced maintenance ... but when they have issues especially intermittently, it can be a pain to track down the cause, and when they fail such as an ignition module, I'm typically dead on side of the road.

Hoping the Bronco is better than my older electronic vehicles, in terms of providing good detailed trouble codes and info on what might be the issue.
There is a large difference between an OBD scanner you or I buy and the software that goes with it compared to the units used at a dealer. So what might come up as a code to us indicating faulty gas cap could in fact be something entirely different but related to fuel/emissions.

I had a gas cap code on my 2013 Yukon , replaced the cap but still got the same code. It turned out to be fuel tank level sending unit leaking
Sponsored