broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the Sasquatch tire is the new Goodyear Territory MT.
This tire is already available in 265/60/20 on Tire rack for a wight of 42 lbs in Load C range.
The popular BFG KO2 are only available in E load range for this size, at 57 lbs.

However, I could compare 2 KO2 of the same size (285/70/17) in both C and E range to see approximately how much E range adds in weight. The answer is 7lbs so we can safely assume a KO2 in 265/60/20 would be about 50 lbs.

What that all means is that a Goodyear Territory MT would be approximately 20% lighter than the exact same (size and load) KO2. Very good news if true.
Of course this relies on Tirerack spec accuracy. But I am sure the Territory will be soon available in 35" anyway because the TRX is out and uses those.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why would that be good news? Just wondering why a lighter tire is a better tire, or are you considering the weight as it relates to GVWR? Might, and I'm not saying this is necessariy true, a heavier tire be a more well constructed tire?

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess it would be "very good news" if you never take it off road. Otherwise, you want a thick, durable tire. C rated tires are already marginal. Pushing the limit wouldn't be a good thing if you're buying an off road vehicle with 35s.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why would that be good news? Just wondering why a lighter tire is a better tire, or are you considering the weight as it relates to GVWR? Might, and I'm not saying this is necessariy true, a heavier tire be a more well constructed tire?
Heavier tires require more energy to rotate. So, gas mileage and engine load are impacted.

CPL_Rabbit

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Minivan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's a benefit to fuel consumption, acceleration, braking, and mechanical wear. 'Unsprung' mass is worth more, physics-wise, than the suspended stuff.

Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're comparing two tires of very different construction, of course they are going to be different weights.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
265/60r20 is practically a rubber band compared to a 285/70r17. There's A LOT more rubber on the 285 before even taking into consideration the difference in ply.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Points taken; however, I would think the benefit between the two, based solely on weight, would be minimal.

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

hi
Bad experience with BF K02 load range C after 2 years used on gravel road about
12 k the tire come soft on the sidewall at 40 PSI. and i blow the tire..... For me only load range E nevermind the rolling mass and gaz . when you blow a tire on a gravel road in the woods or trail it`s not fun at all . lighter tire is good on paved road only my opinion.....do`nt trust me try it and you remember me when you blow your tire...
If you plant to go on a mud bog you need super swamper. or gumbo monster mudder. but on regular off road a good load range E and you back home free of trouble.
TRACKTOY

Sponsored

Firefly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F250 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The bronco is not pushing the structural or weight limits of a C rated tire, on or off road. An E rated tire is more expensive, and would add extra weight and structure that is not needed.
Second point. I don't know why anyone would want to put a 20" rim on a Bronco.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unsprung weight is one of the most difficult variables to control. All things being equal, less weight is much easier to control, on top of the other benefits mentioned. Ride, handling, steering are all benefited by or hampered by weight. Small differences created significant changes required to maintain acceptable performance on those parameters. It's one reason lifts and larger tires often cause uneven tire wear, rough or spongy/springy ride and poor handling (other than poorly engineered or installed components or moving components outside of optimized geometry).

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The bronco is not pushing the structural or weight limits of a C rated tire, on or off road. An E rated tire is more expensive, and would add extra weight and structure that is not needed.
E load tires provide extra sidewall protection. That's not something that is always needed but it is absolutely necessary when wheeling out west. Sharp rocks and ledges tear the hell out of tires.

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HI
20`` rim is for mall crawller only because for airing down a tire the best is 16`` or 17 inch rim not enough rubber for prevent breaking rim on pothole with 20 inch rim.
tracktoy

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's not about the structural weight off road that is the concern with a tire, it's about the fact that a thinner C (fewer plies) is much more easily cut.
Sponsored