Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just to close the loop on this one, the OBX she ordered came in today, and she went for it. Figured we’d be hard pressed to get a similar deal anytime soon between the no market adjustment and the fact the 2024’s are a little pricier. Plus even then we were barely willing to pay the final price given current interest rates, so the SAS would’ve hurt even more.

She’s gonna run with the stock OBX wheels for now since they’re growing on her, and if she doesn’t like them we’ll throw something bigger on later. Pics some of y’all gave will be big help there.

IMG_4363.jpeg
Congrats! They do look better in person, than in photos. They are still a 32" tire which isn't small by any means.
Sponsored

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Congrats on the new ride.

I didn’t read all 9 pages of responses so I apologize if any of this is a repeat.

The SAS package gives you bigger wheels & tires, HOSS 2.0 suspension, front & rear lockers, wider flares (for bigger tires) and 4.7 gearing. Normal price is around $5k. However, on models that don’t come with the auto transmission by default such as BB, BD & BL then you don’t get pinged for the $2k auto transmission, effectively making it a $3k package.

The HOSS 2.0 suspension is a big deal in itself. Not only does it lift the vehicle but it also provides a larger 210mm front axle, 3 zone damping shock and rear stabilizer bar on 4 door models. All models below BL comes with HOSS 1.0 so this is a big improvement IMO. Where I get confused is BL models come with HOSS 2.0 by default (w/o SAS). I am not certain if the HOSS 2.0 included in the SAS package is somehow different/better than the HOSS 2.0 included with all standard BL models.

This is a great read for more details about various HOSS versions:

https://thebronconation.com/broncos-boss-hoss-system-4-levels-of-performance/

Unfortunately OBX models don’t get the “free” auto transmission perk with SAS but it benefits with more than just “wheels and tires” and a cheap 2” lift also. The gearing alone is a major perk. As you increase overall tire diameter your revolutions per mile changes. Effectively not gearing and going larger inadvertently changes the gearing ratios as your RPM’s, power output, speedometer calibration, etc will be off. Not to mention the weight differences which are a big deal as that weight is more detrimental as it’s considered rotational mass. Short version, it takes more power to start & move larger wheels & tires. You may be able to go to some 33’s without much variance but jumping to 35’s will change the way the vehicle drives until/if you regear.

This performance difference is something mall crawler drivers will likely notice. Of course, as skill/desire grows you’d also have more capable goodies offroad as well.

All this isn’t to say what was chosen is “bad”. Just be cautious and educated when you start changing things around. If you are able to order/buy differently and can afford it then you may save some coin & frustration on the backside.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Congrats on the new ride.

I didn’t read all 9 pages of responses so I apologize if any of this is a repeat.

The SAS package gives you bigger wheels & tires, HOSS 2.0 suspension, front & rear lockers, wider flares (for bigger tires) and 4.7 gearing. Normal price is around $5k. However, on models that don’t come with the auto transmission by default such as BB, BD & BL then you don’t get pinged for the $2k auto transmission, effectively making it a $3k package.

The HOSS 2.0 suspension is a big deal in itself. Not only does it lift the vehicle but it also provides a larger 210mm front axle, 3 zone damping shock and rear stabilizer bar on 4 door models. All models below BL comes with HOSS 1.0 so this is a big improvement IMO. Where I get confused is BL models come with HOSS 2.0 by default (w/o SAS). I am not certain if the HOSS 2.0 included in the SAS package is somehow different/better than the HOSS 2.0 included with all standard BL models.

This is a great read for more details about various HOSS versions:

https://thebronconation.com/broncos-boss-hoss-system-4-levels-of-performance/

Unfortunately OBX models don’t get the “free” auto transmission perk with SAS but it benefits with more than just “wheels and tires” and a cheap 2” lift also. The gearing alone is a major perk. As you increase overall tire diameter your revolutions per mile changes. Effectively not gearing and going larger inadvertently changes the gearing ratios as your RPM’s, power output, speedometer calibration, etc will be off. Not to mention the weight differences which are a big deal as that weight is more detrimental as it’s considered rotational mass. Short version, it takes more power to start & move larger wheels & tires. You may be able to go to some 33’s without much variance but jumping to 35’s will change the way the vehicle drives until/if you regear.

This performance difference is something mall crawler drivers will likely notice. Of course, as skill/desire grows you’d also have more capable goodies offroad as well.

All this isn’t to say what was chosen is “bad”. Just be cautious and educated when you start changing things around. If you are able to order/buy differently and can afford it then you may save some coin & frustration on the backside.
For OP's usage, HOSS isn't something I'd be concerned about though. Sas functionality wouldn't see much use either. I think OP made a decent choice for the actual usage.

Honestly I feel like the component arms race has gotten out of hand. HOSS? How did we ever off-road and have fun with leaf springs and knackered shocks? :)

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personal opinion, the Sasquatch wheels look awful with the fake bead locks. Wildtrack takeoffs are better because at least the faux beadlocks are black.
Absolute worst are the steelies. Looks like you are running 4 spare tires.

Sponsored

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If 40's are the new 35's, then 35's are the new 30's.......

My SAS is extremely tame and handles better then any other high-clearnace 4x4 i've owned. So safety is a non-issue, comes down to cost vs. looks.

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For OP's usage, HOSS isn't something I'd be concerned about though. Sas functionality wouldn't see much use either. I think OP made a decent choice for the actual usage.

Honestly I feel like the component arms race has gotten out of hand. HOSS? How did we ever off-road and have fun with leaf springs and knackered shocks? :)
HOSS 2.0 comes with SAS. But yes, I would agree for the USE case it isn’t required. However, in a sense this is a game of economics.

New wheels & tires will be $2,500 or so. If a 2” lift is needed for clearance that’s another $2,100 for the factory Ford lift. Install probably another $5-600 to maintain the factory warranty. Now granted, cheaper options exist. Other manufacturers for coil over kits will be $1,000 or less. Or really cheap spacer / hockey puck options are abound often called “budget boosts” for $100 in parts and another $1-200 to install.

You’re still about $3-5k in depending on specifics chosen. And that’s lift and tires only. No regearing, beefier front axles, lockers, etc are included.

While I may not need all that extra crap, if I’m paying the same or near same money I’d rather have it. At the least it gives me more options and ability if my desire, skills and interests change.

Each to their own on determining what they do or don’t need. I was just offering some perspective.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-18000-B1

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/m...r-ford-performance-2in-coilover-lift-kit.html

https://www.roughcountry.com/product/ford-lift-kit-40400

https://www.roughcountry.com/product/configurable/ford-bronco-lift-kit-591141

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you ever have a chance to go-fast across a desert landscape, you'll understand. Those 2' whoops find the limit of your suspenion really fast; then, wait till you hit 3'ers......

There is a reason why the release video was mostly in Johnson Valley.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
HOSS 2.0 comes with SAS. But yes, I would agree for the USE case it isn’t required. However, in a sense this is a game of economics.

New wheels & tires will be $2,500 or so. If a 2” lift is needed for clearance that’s another $2,100 for the factory Ford lift. Install probably another $5-600 to maintain the factory warranty. Now granted, cheaper options exist. Other manufacturers for coil over kits will be $1,000 or less. Or really cheap spacer / hockey puck options are abound often called “budget boosts” for $100 in parts and another $1-200 to install.

You’re still about $3-5k in depending on specifics chosen. And that’s lift and tires only. No regearing, beefier front axles, lockers, etc are included.

While I may not need all that extra crap, if I’m paying the same or near same money I’d rather have it. At the least it gives me more options and ability if my desire, skills and interests change.

Each to their own on determining what they do or don’t need. I was just offering some perspective.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/m...r-ford-performance-2in-coilover-lift-kit.html

You can easily find take-off Sas tires/wheels/Bilstein's for less than $2500 here. .6" is all that's needed for clearance, however the Sas package gives you 1.1" of lift.

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can easily find take-off Sas tires/wheels/Bilstein's for less than $2500 here. .6" is all that's needed for clearance, however the Sas package gives you 1.1" of lift.
Barely used takeoffs would be a good way to possibly save some bucks. I honestly haven’t looked here or elsewhere for used stuff so can’t comment on pricing.

I would still caution about going to 35’s from 32’s. That’s a large diameter and weight jump. IMO you need gearing changes.

I test drove a BL SAS (35’s and 4.7 gears) then drove a BL w/o SAS (33’s and 4.27 gears). Both had the 2.7V6 with 10-speed auto. SAS had < 20 miles and non-SAS had about 750 miles. Even with gearing, SAS felt less responsive and “zippy” than the non-SAS. Without the gearing change there would have been more of a difference.

I was a little shocked honestly as I thought Ford would have gotten it closer. The other possibility is maybe the non-SAS engine was broke in better. Not really sure. Just the difference was pretty large IMO.

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Barely used takeoffs would be a good way to possibly save some bucks. I honestly haven’t looked here or elsewhere for used stuff so can’t comment on pricing.

I would still caution about going to 35’s from 32’s. That’s a large diameter and weight jump. IMO you need gearing changes.

I test drove a BL SAS (35’s and 4.7 gears) then drove a BL w/o SAS (33’s and 4.27 gears). Both had the 2.7V6 with 10-speed auto. SAS had < 20 miles and non-SAS had about 750 miles. Even with gearing, SAS felt less responsive and “zippy” than the non-SAS. Without the gearing change there would have been more of a difference.

I was a little shocked honestly as I thought Ford would have gotten it closer. The other possibility is maybe the non-SAS engine was broke in better. Not really sure. Just the difference was pretty large IMO.
The Badlands would have come with 4.46 gearing with the auto.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Nearly all the Broncos with stock rims and tires are effectively geared the same with the exception of the manual transmission models. The 4.27 in the OBX is effectively the same as the 4.46 Badlands non-sasquatch which is nearly the same as the sasquatch package 4.7 Badlands. Just look at the gearing spreadsheet.

Can I tell the difference between the 4.27 gears on 32" OBX stock rims/tires versus the 4.27 with 33.5" M/T's. Yes, there is a difference, but it's not like it's holding me back in any significant way in an off-road environment. I still have plenty of power, and if I am in 4 low, I definitely don't need any more gearing.

4.7 is 5% more gear than 4.46, and 10% more gear than 4.27 gears. It's almost insignificant when you are in 4L and 1st gear. What's the difference at redline 4.5 mph vs 5 mph? It works out to something like 200-400 rpm.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Problem is that many people are paying for and selling their sasquatch rims and tires for $1000 to $1500; then spending $2500+ on new rims and tires anyway.

Many of them are also pulling out the sasquatch suspension and selling that for $500 or less (I got mine for $300 plus shipping). Then they are typically purchasing another $2000 to $5000+ on a new suspension.

Basically, best case, getting $1500-$2000, for a $5000+ package... Best case, leaving them with a $3000 locking front axle and 4.7 gears on non-sasquatch non-Badlands, not exactly high value for some people. It's even worse on the Badlands where one spent $3000 for a 5% difference in gearing!

The economics are there if you don't plan on upgrading... Otherwise, a non-sasquatch Badlands is the smarter play.

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Badlands would have come with 4.46 gearing with the auto.
Good catch, I accidentally typed the wrong gearing. The standard (non-SAS) had 4.46’s and the SAS had 4.7’s.

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Problem is that many people are paying for and selling their sasquatch rims and tires for $1000 to $1500; then spending $2500+ on new rims and tires anyway.

Many of them are also pulling out the sasquatch suspension and selling that for $500 or less (I got mine for $300 plus shipping). Then they are typically purchasing another $2000 to $5000+ on a new suspension.

Basically, best case, getting $1500-$2000, for a $5000+ package... Best case, leaving them with a $3000 locking front axle and 4.7 gears on non-sasquatch non-Badlands, not exactly high value for some people. It's even worse on the Badlands where one spent $3000 for a 5% difference in gearing!

The economics are there if you don't plan on upgrading... Otherwise, a non-sasquatch Badlands is the smarter play.
There is a lot of variance in lockers and gearing on lower models, with most lacking unless you spruce for SAS. However, I agree that it doesn’t make much sense to dismantle, sell for 50 cents on the dollar and then buy new stuff for even more money.

If you’re going to do that then a BD that comes with rear lockers as standard equipment would at least give you that. And jumping from a lower package to BD is less money than SAS. Also if you get with black steelies, no wasted money on aftermarket wheel upgrades.

SAS on BL confuses me honestly. It seems to offer the least bang for the buck there. I’m looking at 2.7 auto so for me, it would give 4.7’s and 35’s for about $3k. That’s not a horrible deal if you like the wheels. What still stumps me is my test drive with BL SAS seemed more sluggish than BL non-SAS. Normal driving, not 4L and slow.

Base & BB
No front or rear lockers and only way to get is with SAS.

Base
Only available with auto and 3.73’s. No options for other gears unless you get SAS.

BB
Has 7-speed manual with 4.46’s but auto is default 3.73; however, for $795 you can get 4.27’s. SAS gets 4.7’s for either.

BD
Has 4.46’s regardless of transmission and includes rear lockers as standard equipment. No options for front locker w/o SAS.

OBX
Like Base, auto only and 3.73’s default. No front or rear lockers. But there is a $795 option for 4.27 gears (hopefully OP added this since they may add bigger wheels/tires later). SAS gives 4.7’s and both front & rear lockers.

BL
Comes standard with front & rear lockers, and front sway bar disconnect. Raptor is the only other model that has the disconnect. 7-speed MT has 4.7’s and auto has 4.46’s. Also has HOSS 2.0 suspension (lower models have HOSS 1.0). SAS upgrades auto to 4.7’s. There doesn’t seem to be benefit for lockers they are already included. And SAS has HOSS 2.0 high clearance suspension although it’s not clear how much higher than stock 2.0.
Sponsored