Sponsored

Second failed transfer case

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what I call shredded. This was my 19 ranger. same case.

153603411_225016459304106_362415494487953005_n.jpg
That's a ring gear not gears inside the transfer case but shredded for sure ;) But yeah @Snacktime has some recent experience with that.
Sponsored

Zulu7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncos & Bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well that’s gnarly. So aside from trying to avoid spinning the tires how does one avoid doing this?
If stuck in snow I'd go 4-Low and engage both front & rear lockers. Then not too heavy on the gas as @Brian_B mentioned

I only have the rear lockers on my non SAS black diamond, but I did engage them as soon as I realized the wheels were spinning
Oh, no front locker. And you did engage the rear locker
Maybe 4L would help too

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

4H in the bronco in snow at higher speeds sounds like a time bomb, seeing a bunch of failures reported over the last week whether its spitting the FDU out or transfer case. Me thinks 4A (or slower at 4L) would be a better choice since it uses the clutches.

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4H in the bronco in snow at higher speeds sounds like a time bomb, seeing a bunch of failures reported over the last week whether its spitting the FDU out or transfer case. Me thinks 4A (or slower at 4L) would be a better choice since it uses the clutches.
Now if only there was some kind of setting for such instances like a GOAT mode or something that would decide what is best to take some of the guess work out of the equation :unsure: (jk).

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Now if only there was some kind of setting for such instances like a GOAT mode or something that would decide what is best to take some of the guess work out of the equation :unsure: (jk).
🤦‍♀️ fully kicking myself for not using the GOAT modes. I think part of me just brushed them off as a fancy gimmick. Guess I know better now 😜

we can all laugh at me because I’m definitely laughing at myself *

* only because it’s being repaired under warranty

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

On a side note, that does help with certain things, but ya know owners don't read the manual. Point in fact, if you put a brapter in baja mode it reduces the sensitivity of the air bags which I thoroughly tested 😂

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On a side note, that does help with certain things, but ya know owners don't read the manual. Point in fact, if you put a brapter in baja mode it reduces the sensitivity of the air bags which I thoroughly tested 😂
That's a good thing. A guy here was at Pismo (Oceano Dunes) back in Oct that tested out his drivers air bag. Turned out to be a $2K experience :sneaky:

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Were you in 4HI or 4A? Snow wheeling is hard on rigs, but it's usually the transmission of cooling systems that have issues.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

🤦‍♀️ fully kicking myself for not using the GOAT modes. I think part of me just brushed them off as a fancy gimmick. Guess I know better now 😜

we can all laugh at me because I’m definitely laughing at myself *

* only because it’s being repaired under warranty
Sorry for the salt & thankfully they are covering it for you (y).

I always try to take the attitude of a guy I use to know. He would always say we are going to laugh about it someday, might as well start now. That guy tore up some equipment $$$$$$ over the years :rolleyes: .
Like I said I try but don't always succeed :sneaky:.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was on about a year ago with the exact same issue after driving in the snow. Was five miles out and had a transfer case failure. Well last week I was on another snow run, 4h (no, not on pavement) and when I got home I noticed a rotational clunking noise when in 2h. Took it in to the dealer (praying it was just the CV joint or a torn boot) and it’s the transfer case again.

For reference I have a 4dr 10spd 6cyl black diamond, non SAS. Zero aftermarket upgrades except the RTR grill. Just curious if anyone else has had the transfer case fail more than once. Fortunately they extended my warranty last time.

I mean I’ve really put this thing through the paces, white rim trail in Moab, unimproved BLM land through Nevada, hairy roads in the lost sierras, and then one time in the snow I’m out a transfer case again?

seeking advice or reassurance. I’ve thought about asking for a buy back but with the current auto loan interest rates and increase in vehicle prices I’m loathe to have to be in the market for a new car.
Are bet this is the Advanced transfer case? This is one reason why I'm not interested in the Sasquatch package. The standard transfer case is just a gear box, unlike the complicated advanced unit which has clutch packs.

Zulu7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncos & Bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
🤦‍♀️ fully kicking myself for not using the GOAT modes. I think part of me just brushed them off as a fancy gimmick. Guess I know better now . . .
Ehhh . . . GOAT modes are overrated - mostly a mirage

There's no GOAT mode that defaults to 4-Low with both lockers engaged.
The "Slippery" mode does give you reduced throttle response which is handy on snow, but it defaults to 4A with no lockers

You were doing pretty well. Just select the 4WD options you need a la carte

Big trouble with GOAT Modes is remembering all the defaults & the options each Mode allows/prohibits. You're talking several pages in the Owner's Manual
Sponsored