Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What kind of snow are we talking about?

This kind?
cold-weather-driving-gty-jc-190130_hpMain.jpg

Or this kind?
01-winter-fun-festival-lead-photo-.jpg

One I would have no issues using lockers, the other I wouldn't...

4A would be perfect for the 1st picture posted.

4A is 4 wheel drive without the transfercase locked. The front and rear driveshafts can move at different speeds.

4H/4L the transfercase is locked. The front and rear driveshafts spin at same speed.
I was not on a city street. It was definitely picture 2, driving down the road in 4h but I guess I should have been in 4A. In fact, Here is the exact picture of where I was stuck……..

Ford Bronco Second failed transfer case IMG_5769
Ford Bronco Second failed transfer case IMG_5770

and thank you for that very succinct explanation of what the transfer case does in 4A and 4h. I’ve peeled through the manual and hadn’t found anything that really explains it in a way that I was able to fully understand it until you said that
Sponsored

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was not on a city street. It was definitely picture 2, driving down the road in 4h but I guess I should have been in 4A. In fact, Here is the exact picture of where I was stuck……..

and thank you for that very succinct explanation of what the transfer case does in 4A and 4h. I’ve peeled through the manual and hadn’t found anything that really explains it in a way that I was able to fully understand it until you said that
You should have been fine in that in 4H, 4L, 4A. This is an equipment fail. You need a better tire for this kind of snow.

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You should have been fine in that in 4H, 4L, 4A. This is an equipment fail. You need a better tire for this kind of snow.
well hearing it was an equipment failure pleases me greatly. As when I returned from the day and informed my husband I got stuck and it sounds like the transmission is wonky again he very timidly asked me “are you sure it’s not user error? Since it happened twice?”

Of note, yes I do plan on getting better tires, would like to go bigger and a little bit of a lift, now concerned about the possibility that puts more strain on the transmission……

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

well hearing it was an equipment failure pleases me greatly. As when I returned from the day and informed my husband I got stuck and it sounds like the transmission is wonky again he very timidly asked me “are you sure it’s not user error? Since it happened twice?”

Of note, yes I do plan on getting better tires, would like to go bigger and a little bit of a lift, now concerned about the possibility that puts more strain on the transmission……
M210 front, gears, my dealer has had no problem with me on a body lift for warranty purposes. You might look into a front locker if you plan on getting deeper in the off highway world.
I got a 3 " bodylift before I found out you can use ranger parts to do around 2.25" bodylift. I am sasquatch from the factory so I run a 37 now offhighway. I'm still stock 4.70 gears. I will lift from the suspension and go to 39" or 40" once I'm closer to my warranty expiration. I am fortunate to have some pioneers on here finding out what works.
Enjoy!!

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For what its worth, I am on my second transfer case repair as well. 1st time the 4x4 warning lights came on, the harness looked cut. Car was drivable, but no ability to shift our of 2 wheel drive. Everyone concluded it was rodents. Had to get the full harness replaced. 2 weeks of driving... 1st super rainy day where I went to 4H... and next time i started the car... 4x4 warning lights came back on. No ability to shift out of 2 wheel drive again. Its at the dealer now... they are stumped. Going one step at a time of replacing all key components. Its like a heart transplant. :-(

Sponsored

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
both roads covered in a fairly powdery snow, traveling on it at under 30mph. Both times I think I got stuck because I was centered up on a snow bank. Attempted digging out first, was already aired down. First time I eventually got out with digging and 4L with rear lockers. Second time I was recovered with a kinetic recovery rope, in 4h with rear lockers on. If it’s the lockers then I’m completely baffled as I was always under the impression that this would be the situation that they would definitely be put to use…….

Again, am open to criticism. But I don’t feel like I did anything completely out of the realm of what a lot of people would do with the rig, I was definitely even lighter on the gas the second time around because I was already a little nervous having had the transfer case and front diff biff itself on me the last time I was in the snow………
I'm glad I found this thread. So much of what you have posted I can identify with. We have similar vehicles (my BD is an AT and I do not have 4A), seem to have similar levels of experience, appear to have used my Bronco in similar ways, and have blown parts twice in situations with lost traction that seem minor compared to other things I have done. A lot of the responses here can apply to me as well and it is great to know I am not alone in it.

At 18k my front differential went. Not wanting to get gun shy, I took it right back out, and in 5 hours I blew the second one. The dealership of course thinks I am doing something wrong, which I can't blame them for given the circumstances, and told me Ford likely would not replace it again if it happened and that I should stop doing whatever I was doing when they broke.

First time: Stopped going down a hill in the woods and trying to turn around due to a trail problem. The hill had bad traction due to recent rain and my tires ended up not being able to keep traction to do so. Second time: High-centered on a dirt berm. Both times I had the rear lockers on and likely would have been in 4L. Neither time did I think of engaging the GOAT mode for mud, though that might not have mattered.

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm glad I found this thread. So much of what you have posted I can identify with. We have similar vehicles (my BD is an AT and I do not have 4A), seem to have similar levels of experience, appear to have used my Bronco in similar ways, and have blown parts twice in situations with lost traction that seem minor compared to other things I have done. A lot of the responses here can apply to me as well and it is great to know I am not alone in it.

At 18k my front differential went. Not wanting to get gun shy, I took it right back out, and in 5 hours I blew the second one. The dealership of course thinks I am doing something wrong, which I can't blame them for given the circumstances, and told me Ford likely would not replace it again if it happened and that I should stop doing whatever I was doing when they broke.

First time: Stopped going down a hill in the woods and trying to turn around due to a trail problem. The hill had bad traction due to recent rain and my tires ended up not being able to keep traction to do so. Second time: High-centered on a dirt berm. Both times I had the rear lockers on and likely would have been in 4L. Neither time did I think of engaging the GOAT mode for mud, though that might not have mattered.
I wonder if the motion of a hard turn left or right while the transfer case is locked in 4h or 4l and some of the wheels have or don’t have traction could cause the failure? In combination with possible low or dirty driveline fluids? In my case I was also definitely trying to turn the wheels in an attempt to grab some traction when I was stuck….

maybe someone with more knowledge could shed some light if that’s within the realm of possibility of leading to a failure

Art Bell

Black Diamond
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off-Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Eh, it's not as hard as all the hundreds of citations I had to memorize to successfully complete my Ph.D. advancement to candidacy testing. ;)
Yeah and that's quite a leap from avionics engineering to Ph.D. Psychology/Psychiatric Counseling. Congrats passing your candidacy exams

JL8jeff

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2door base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
It seems strange that you can break the transfer case on a snow covered trail. I could see the sudden traction with the locker engaged on the street could cause a shock to the drivetrain, but the trail seems odd. I was always under the impression that the e-locker was only supposed to be used in slow moving situations, that's what I think Toyota says for theirs.

Sponsored

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wonder if the motion of a hard turn left or right while the transfer case is locked in 4h or 4l and some of the wheels have or don’t have traction could cause the failure? In combination with possible low or dirty driveline fluids? In my case I was also definitely trying to turn the wheels in an attempt to grab some traction when I was stuck….

maybe someone with more knowledge could shed some light if that’s within the realm of possibility of leading to a failure
Did you happen to you use recovery boards when you had yours break?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I definitely agree with this statement. A lot of us (even ones with plenty of experience in dirt) could use some advice on how to use all the features.

This vehicle is definitely more complicated than the pickups I have been using to go camping for a million years. I haven't even touched the 4A since I still have no clear idea what it is for or what it really does. I wouldn't have even bought the 4A, except that it was mandatory with the Sasquatch.

But reading through this thread, there are contradictory comments.

Plus, tons of internet sites mention using a rear locker in snow. Since there are so many different sources recommending it, was it not reasonable to think that engaging the rear locker in snow was the right choice?

Two difference places just mention that as long as you are driving under 5mph when you engage it, there isn't an issue with how fast you can go after it is locked, except that your steering may be a little wonky. Is this not accurate?

What does the Bronco Owner's Manual say?
Don't be afraid of 4A. It does rely on the wheel speed sensors to determine wheel slippage and adjusts the clutch packs up to 60x/second (60Hz). It is robust and reliable enough for daily use. I am not particularly gentle with my Bronco, but I am not intentionally abusive (most of the time). My Bronco, like my girl, may get bruised from time to time but never complains - they're built for it.

2H or 4A should be your go to modes off-road, saving 4H and 4L for situations where you know that you need the additional traction to manage wheel slippage. The less shock loads that you put the drivetrain through the longer it is likely to survive. It is better to slip clutch packs than it is to put massive shock loads on the drive train.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don't be afraid of 4A. It does rely on the wheel speed sensors to determine wheel slippage and adjusts the clutch packs up to 60x/second (60Hz). It is robust and reliable enough for daily use. I am not particularly gentle with my Bronco, but I am not intentionally abusive (most of the time). My Bronco, like my girl, may get bruised from time to time but never complains - they're built for it.

2H or 4A should be your go to modes off-road, saving 4H and 4L for situations where you know that you need the additional traction to manage wheel slippage. The less shock loads that you put the drivetrain through the longer it is likely to survive. It is better to slip clutch packs than it is to put massive shock loads on the drive train.
But in 4H/4L you still have open differentials so you shouldn't get any damaging shock loads. But, if a tire is in the air with the skinny pedal to the floor and then the tire comes down and grabs traction, yeah, you might get some shock loads that damage stuff.

I would, personally, never be offroading in 4A, wouldn't want to over stress the clutch packs. But that's the thing, what is offroading to you may not be what it is to me. A well maintained dirt road may be offroading to some people, so...

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Last edited:

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This.

That's nothing as far as snow. Total equipment fail.
Sponsored