Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was in the manual camp until I found out my Ford Bronco would have a 4 cylinder engine. There is no way I would ever be happy with that. I can't imagine having this bad ass looking off road machine and then having to tell someone it has a 4 cylinder engine.
Sponsored

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was in the manual camp until I found out my Ford Bronco would have a 4 cylinder engine. There is no way I would ever be happy with that. I can't imagine having this bad ass looking off road machine and then having to tell someone it has a 4 cylinder engine.
Today’s 4 cylinder is way different than 20 years ago. Old school mentality. My old ranger 3.0 6 cylinder from the 90s had less Hp and torque compared to this 2.3 liter. A lot less. Granted the 2.7 v6 is awesome.

Edumakated

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I like manuals, but find them unnecessary nowadays. I get people that still want to row the gears, but I'd find it a chore on my daily commute.

What I'd like is if manufacturers would just make it so you can have manual when you want and auto any other time. I am not talking the current setups with the stupid F1 paddles or the + / - on gear shifter.

I'd like to see a normal gear shift that you can row in tree pattern clutchless or even with a clutch and then switch back to full auto.

I'd actually be ok if they could setup kind of like a Rekluse system on a motorcycle where you still have to shift but you don't need to work the clutch from a start or during gear shifts unless you want to... you basically can't stall (common setup on motocross bikes).

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
All of these people arguing on here about the mustang launch speed like the Bronco is going to be a drag racing vehicle is insane. You should be more worried about how the manual will do off-roading, which in some cases automatic is easier, but the manual will make it more challenging and fun.
Yeah but apparently some people don't care about the off-roading part, it's more an image thing.

I've wheeled manual and automatic off-road, and each had pluses and minuses. Low speed control of the auto can be nice on rocky trails. That said I'm leaning manual for these reasons:

1) Lower initial cost
2) Lower long term cost (I've had three auto trans needing rebuilds, zero manual trans needing rebuilds)
3) More direct control of what happens
4) Not always but generally more fun

Wild card? The 7 speed manual is a new model. How will history regard it? Time will tell. I have some concern being an early user.

Brokennose

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That trail turn is the coolest button on the dash for sure. Ticks me off I can't get it with the manual.

Still getting the 7speed MT.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah but apparently some people don't care about the off-roading part, it's more an image thing.

I've wheeled manual and automatic off-road, and each had pluses and minuses. Low speed control of the auto can be nice on rocky trails. That said I'm leaning manual for these reasons:

1) Lower initial cost
2) Lower long term cost (I've had three auto trans needing rebuilds, zero manual trans needing rebuilds)
3) More direct control of what happens
4) Not always but generally more fun

Wild card? The 7 speed manual is a new model. How will history regard it? Time will tell. I have some concern being an early user.
It'll be fine. It's a 6-speed manual with an additional shorter 1st gear deigned and built by a manufacturer that is a world-class supplier of manual transmissions to the global auto industry. There is no wildcard here.

UPnort

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That trail turn is the coolest button on the dash for sure. Ticks me off I can't get it with the manual.

Still getting the 7speed MT.
Thought i read somewhere they were working on bringing this to the 7m. Either way guessing it wouldn't be for the 21s even if they do.

It'll be fine. It's a 6-speed manual with an additional shorter 1st gear deigned and built by a manufacturer that is a world-class supplier of manual transmissions to the global auto industry. There is no wildcard here.
Its interesting that you say that. Everyone keeps telling me to wait a few yrs until the kinks are worked out. Im 100% in though on the Bronco, my only concern is the transmission. Not stopping me from buying of course but whether its the new design, Getrag failing the Ford Mustang previously, or Chinese quality control, there is a legitimate concern by consumers. Time will tell of course but i couldnt be more excited to drive w two feet again. Im at the point if it fails, it fails. I'll address it then. You will be able to spot me as the guy driving down the road w a smile on his face for apparently no reason.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thought i read somewhere they were working on bringing this to the 7m. Either way guessing it wouldn't be for the 21s even if they do.

Its interesting that you say that. Everyone keeps telling me to wait a few yrs until the kinks are worked out. Im 100% in though on the Bronco, my only concern is the transmission. Not stopping me from buying of course but whether its the new design, Getrag failing the Ford Mustang previously, or Chinese quality control, there is a legitimate concern by consumers. Time will tell of course but i couldnt be more excited to drive w two feet again. Im at the point if it fails, it fails. I'll address it then. You will be able to spot me as the guy driving down the road w a smile on his face for apparently no reason.
While I'm not a fan of China for political philosophical reasons, there are lots of products manufactured in China that are of high quality. My B&W loud speakers come to mind. From what I've read, the factory building the MT88 is a Getrag manufacturing facility rather than a Chinese contract manufacturer. The difference means Getrag QC/QA procedures are in place to mitigate poor manufacturing techniques. Product quality is gained by building quality into the manufacturing process rather than testing for it at the end of assembly. I doubt Getrag will use sub-par manufacturing procedures just because the transmission is built in China. Any manufacturer that has built a portfolio of manufacturing techniques over decades of manufacturing its products will stick with what it knows. This is the entire purpose of the ISO-900X concept.

While I'm disappointed the transmission build is in China (political reasons) I've have many Getrag manual transmissions and none have ever failed. I have one car that still is my daily with 400,000 miles on the Getrag. The Mustang MT82 issues are real obviously, but letting a transmission issue from a decade ago influence your concerns over the New Bronco's MT88 is unwarranted. Any manual that is ham-fisted can fail regardless of it's design and country of origin.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A 4 cylinder that has about the same or more hp and torque than any engine in any previous bronco. And is saying it’s a measly 6 cylinder much better to anyone that you would hate to tell its a 4 cylinder?

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'd wouldn't mind a manual if could

A-get the 2.7
B-Not have to listen to the wife and kids say, dad got a manual so we couldnt drive it' like they did with my Boxster for years. (Yes, I offered to teach them, no one wants to learn)
C-Both

Sponsored

PaulW

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 EB, 06 Wrangler LJ, 18F150HD, 17 Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco 10 speed has manual control when desired.

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd wouldn't mind a manual if could

A-get the 2.7
B-Not have to listen to the wife and kids say, dad got a manual so we couldnt drive it' like they did with my Boxster for years. (Yes, I offered to teach them, no one wants to learn)
C-Both
Option B shouldn’t even be a thing because THEY don’t want to learn...

UPnort

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Any manual that is ham-fisted can fail regardless of it's design and country of origin.
Good point and agree completely on this but..

I know a lot of ppl disagree w me but i have zero faith in China manufacturing. While i was in the military there was one single piece of equipment that costs 100 mil that they bought from one of our contractors. They disassembled it to the bolt and screw numbering each and every piece... only they forgot to to sequence the disassembly procedures. Dont fret though, they thought the could call the contractor and theyd come and put it back together for them! Not a chance in hell of course. They steal technology blatantly and spend pennies on the dollar making an inferior product. Anyways, this and so many other similar stories have me having zero faith in about anything produced over there. Not trying to get political, just stating truths whether people can admit it or not.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Option B shouldn’t even be a thing because THEY don’t want to learn...
And I don’t want to listen to them!
Ha my wife won’t drive the raptor it’s too big...perfect!

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are also a few boo boos that can happen with a manual ,letting clutch out before engin is stopped while parking it can jump and hit wall ,car ,post whatever.
Parking on a slope no ebrake in gear sometimes compression bleeds and car can move,missing a gear when up shifting is like nails on a chalkboard !
Theres a bunch more ,it takes a little more concentration to properly drive a stick but in this day of self driving cars and 30 speed paddle shifter autos ill take the manual.
Sponsored