First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Audi A5 Cabriolet
Your Bronco Model
Base
Came across this today in a video posted to YouTube . I stopped by the dealership this afternoon to look for myself.... sure enough the left and right mirrors are different shapes. The left Mirror is a full square and the right mirror has its top left corner cut.

Can anyone give me an answer to my curiosity as to why this is the case? I have never owned a car with mirrors that didn't match.
Sponsored

same2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because the mirrors are mounted further forward (not on the door), the A pillar would block the top corner of the passenger mirror, but that is not the case on the drivers side because of your seating position.

OP
OP

broncocoy

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Audi A5 Cabriolet
Your Bronco Model
Base
Because the mirrors are mounted further forward (not on the door), the A pillar would block the top corner of the passenger mirror, but that is not the case on the drivers side because of your seating position.
I noticed this when I was sitting in the bronco today... I figured this would be the reason. Nonetheless as a bit OCD it just bothered me they wouldn't "complete the look", regardless of if you could see it when driving.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not only does the passenger’s side mirror have a slice out of the corner but it is also smaller.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I noticed this immediately the first 1 minute of driving mine..I recall silently cursing WTF! I'm a stickler for symmetry. Very disappointed in that super dumb design from Ford....who at Ford thought this was a good idea is a complete idiot. Currently looking for a symmetrical solution.

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I noticed this immediately the first 1 minute of driving mine..I recall silently cursing WTF! I'm a stickler for symmetry. Very disappointed in that super dumb design from Ford....who at Ford thought this was a good idea is a complete idiot. Currently looking for a symmetrical solution.
Yea depending on where you sit it's perfectly visible. Pretty stupid place to literally cut a corner @Ford Motor Company

LoboDelRio

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2015 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The thing that really boggles my mind is on mine (Base 2dr, no towing), both mirrors are of the towing type (smaller mirror in mirror, like my F-150). As an added bonus, the passenger mirror is "magnified" (objects in mirror are closer...) but the driver's side isn't. So my usual side mirror setup is to put just a touch of side/fender flare view if I lean my head over to either side, but with this setup it's like 2 different views, which totally messes with my rear object perception.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it is odd that somewhere someone decided that designing two different mirrors instead of just flipping the design on the computer makes sense and saves money down the road. I guess mirror glass is really really expensive? ;-)

Doesn't bother me, but it's certainly an odd one where I'd like to eventually learn what the reasoning was here, LOL.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One of the early on videos was an interview with a guy in charge of the design team. I remember him saying that moving the mirrors off the doors was a challenge but something they really wanted to do to fix the problem with Jeep.

Guess we now know what some of those challenges were :ROFLMAO:

BlueGhost

Black Diamond
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor, 2018 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wonder if it's to meet some kind of DOT regulations, either at national or some state level to make it 50 state legal. It would just take a law about the entirety of the rearview mirror must be visible from the driver's seat. If that is the case, why not add the notch to the drivers side as well.

Sponsored

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Used to it as I had several mid 80s-mid 90s Mercedes e-classes. The all had one rectangle mirror and one square mirror. Some people would trade mirrors with RHD guys overseas.

Ford Bronco Side View Mirrors - Not Matching? 1642444282320

AzGoat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Symmetrical mirrors are now an issue? :rolleyes: Mirrors are highly regulated by the DOT governing much of the design. I'm going back to bed and it's just past 1130 here. Maybe I'll have a dream where old school mirrors are replaced or supplemented by cameras/LCD displays. This is against DOT rules, but we can dream!

Baconator

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chevrolet Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been driving mine for over a month and just noticed this today!
Sponsored