Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been looking at all of the hoist systems on here and considering buying the smallest electric winch I could and I just really don't understand why no one has designed a good, easy to install, lightweight balanced hoist system. It's less than 100 pounds and there are pullies with clutch brakes to prevent slippage in the wrong direction and so forth. The Harken is in the right direction but even that seems overkill (those are REALLY nice ball bearing sheaves). Or maybe a really cheap lightweight 200# winch to install easily with such a system.

Even the "roof rack" type brackets would be really easy to make - just a bent plate dipped in plastic-dip or something.
Sponsored

BitterBronco

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

just need a couple of pulleys and you’re good to go! No winch required!

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes. But the Lange hooks and so forth would prevent damage to seals and headliner etc. it’s just a flat angle hook. But I can’t find anything suitable.

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm thinking of using the roof rails as a lifting system. Disconnect at front of window, strap and hook to secure middle of rail to the mounting strap and hole at the front of the roof.

Any reason why that wouldn't work?

BitterBronco

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@darinhouston
I think the rails would be unstable (you’re leaving them attached at the back and they’re free at the front). You might be risking some real damage where the rails mount to the roof

I was planning on using a simple rope and pulley system since I have a very low ceiling carport rather than a typical garage. I can’t fit a winch in there but I was/am also worried about protecting the seals but I’m also thinking about how to protect from indentations in the roof liner

my plan was to make a set of blocks (from a soft wood) to put at the front and rear ends of the top. This would force the straps past the seals (you have to remember to have a spacer between them so the weight of the roof doesn’t push them together and negate their impact).

The other thing I’ve been consider is looking for some sickle-shaped hooks that would reach around the seal. Then, you put a block where the point would touch the headliner.

I’ll post some photos when I get my system installed here in the spring (my Bronco gets out away in the winter). Hopefully words are enough to help get your

Sponsored
OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was going to secure the front end (more the middle) of the rail to the front mounting tabs of the roof. Maybe even with a rubber block between.

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TXBrian

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here’s what I used .

Winch, $129
Partsam 440Lbs Lift Electric Hoist Crane Remote Control Power System, 110V Electric Hoist Zinc-Plated Steel Wire Overhead Crane Garage Ceiling Pulley Winch w/Straps (w/Emergency Stop Switch) https://a.co/d/aaUHDF3

Strap with hooks, $21 plus shipping
https://www.customtiedowns.com/prod...length=0&webbing=cw2k-g12pe&catlist=1&store=1

The hooks just latch on to the rear slots of the hard top. Once lifted , I do have a couple tie downs I add underneath as a secondary support and to keep the top from rotating but they aren’t necessary.

787F31DD-B052-4BD6-9788-CE8E7AE55F1B.jpeg

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Sponsored

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here’s what I used .

Winch, $129
Partsam 440Lbs Lift Electric Hoist Crane Remote Control Power System, 110V Electric Hoist Zinc-Plated Steel Wire Overhead Crane Garage Ceiling Pulley Winch w/Straps (w/Emergency Stop Switch) https://a.co/d/aaUHDF3

Strap with hooks, $21 plus shipping
https://www.customtiedowns.com/prod...length=0&webbing=cw2k-g12pe&catlist=1&store=1

The hooks just latch on to the rear slots of the hard top. Once lifted , I do have a couple tie downs I add underneath as a secondary support and to keep the top from rotating but they aren’t necessary.

Ford Bronco Simple Lightweight Hoist System 787F31DD-B052-4BD6-9788-CE8E7AE55F1B
I like how you hid the winch up in your drywall, very cool. Do you only have two connection points to the top? I assume the weight of the door compensates for the weight of the other 75% of the top to the left? Is it balanced the way, any risk of it coming crashing down? Can you post a video of you using it to see how it works.

TXBrian

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I like how you hid the winch up in your drywall, very cool. Do you only have two connection points to the top? I assume the weight of the door compensates for the weight of the other 75% of the top to the left? Is it balanced the way, any risk of it coming crashing down? Can you post a video of you using it to see how it works.
The top for the 4 door is perfectly balanced when using just the rear connection points.

I lift and lower it with just the 2 points.

When I’m storing it , I use tie downs and some metal strut hooked to points on the ceiling and lower it on to that. You can also lay the other top pieces on the metal strut inside the top if you want.

I’ll have to do a video at some point but heading out for spring break tomorrow so will be a while before I can do that.

2D7D47AB-31B1-4AD9-A1B2-9D0B1E90F94C.jpeg

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ah a two-pronged approach, got it. I was thinking of creating space on top of the top for the other pieces, but your idea of putting on the cross bars is even better. Great job!

How did you put the hoist up in the rafters and put some cross members between the joists to hold the hoist? Did you cut it out and then just drywall back over? Maybe any pics of the install?

OP
OP

darinhouston

Badlands
First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands