Small Utility - BabyB

1. Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    junk
    The Small Utility ('baby Bronco') was pictured testing again, showing off some extra boxy bodywork again. We'll probably see a lot more of this than the real deal for at least the next several months.

They're clearly taking some extra effort to hide some body lines.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1124597_2021-ford-baby-bronco-spy-shots
    2019-AUG-16 2021-ford-baby-bronco-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100712109_h.jpg
    2019-AUG-16 2021-ford-baby-bronco-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100712107_h.jpg
    baby OEM04_181119762_AR_0_DBVVGBODDNHL.jpg
    10.jpg

In some ways it does beg the question of why the Escape which started out much like this was transfigured into a car, and this vehicle will take that mini-suv space? Why not keep the Escape what it began as, and make the new nameplate take the car space?

BroncoMike, SpursFan and TeocaliMG like this.
  2. JimmyDean

JimmyDean Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
    I am wondering at exactly what they draw that right line of rugged at. Is all the way to the right things like purpose built off-road only non-street legal buggies and trophy truck type things. Or the wrangler? Like, where would they place the wrangler onto that graphic? the original Bronco? big Bronco?

Granted if they have that thing up top with pizza cutters, no clearance, and no travel as that far to the right as rugged, doesn't bode well for what I hope the Bronco to be.

3. OP
    OP
    Stampede.Offroad

Vehicle(s):
    junk
    I questioned the scale of that graphic as well when I was first looking at it, but we have to remember it was part of some PowerPoint type presentation, and they just wanted it to be easy to read. I for one hope the reality is more like this ...

real scale.png .

4. Nickp

Nickp Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle(s):
    2010 JK UNLIMITED
    Lmao I love your fixed chart

Stampede.Offroad likes this.
  5. JimmyDean

Vehicle(s):
    Exactly. If we were to take that linearly, then the bronco is not so far better than the expedition as the expedition is to the new escape. which would be, well, shit.

I would really like something that I can drive from the showroom floor straight to my land and across my field without having to throw 10k in mods to have to the height, tires, and power to get through some slick grass and maybe a couple inches of mud. (A stock wrangler sport would get stuck....hell, my jacked up F250 on 37s gets stuck crossing when it's really wet and saturated and I need to get the tractor out there to get her out)

6. OP
    OP
    Stampede.Offroad

Vehicle(s):
    junk
    The more I look at the prototype and the NV spy picture, I notice the roofline has a bit of an unusual shape to it. Almost reminiscent of an old Land Rover. Do you suppose they worked some kind of roof removability into the small utility as well?

7. JimmyDean

Vehicle(s):
    no. I think that they just made it flat around/between the roof rails to hide the lines.

Nanook likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Stampede.Offroad

Vehicle(s):
    junk
    I'm not talking about the cardboard box or whatever that is obviously attached between the rails, I'm talking about something like this, on one of their theoretical competitors ...

1457123582-Renegade-open-roof.jpg

TeocaliMG likes this.
  9. NMBronco

NMBronco Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1975 Bronco
    I frankly don't understand why there is so much discussion about this new cross-over on this board. Outside of the so-called automotive "journalists" dubbing it the "baby Bronco" and Ford posturing it as "rugged utility," I fail to see how this pertains to the Bronco at all.

It seems clear to me that, depending on size, this is targeted towards the Renegade or Cherokee; neither of which have anything to do with the Wrangler. I seriously doubt Ford with be referring to it as a Bronco-anything. There is nothing interesting about this vehicle at all save for somewhat unique styling. Aside from that, it should be more or less the same as any other "rugged" cross-over.

dgorsett and Nanook like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Stampede.Offroad

Vehicle(s):
    junk
    Design language.

I too certainly hope that they're in entirely different leagues when it comes to off road capability and objective ruggedness. While I personally find the idea distatefull that a little crossover will share the Bronco name with what I was hoping to buy/drive, it is hard to ignore the possibility that Ford intends them to share a lot more than a blue oval.

From the NV photo and prototype pictures it is safe to say that the Bronco and the small utility will probably share some design language principles. Because Ford is probably going to hide the actual Bronco from us for as long as possible (in part because they want the small utility to also be a sales success and not be entirely overshadowed by the Bronco), I am personally interested in examining this model for any clues that could tell me something useful or interesting that it might share with the Bronco.

That's the same reason I've closely monitored every other Ford model launch and presentation for the last couple years.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/where-does-the-bronco-fit-in-fords-lineup.454/

11. Bronco II

Bronco II Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Doc
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang Ecoboost convertible 50 Year Appearance Package
    I agree 100%

12. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle(s):
    Pro4X Titan, Ford Fusion, Ducati Diavel
    Look at all that opportunity for a FSB!

13. OP
    OP
    Stampede.Offroad

Vehicle(s):
    junk
    I have often thought they could fill that just by making a 2-door version of the Expedition ... that nearly no-one would buy.

There are a lot of indicators suggesting that segment isn't very large, nor is the compact end of objectively rugged vehicles. That's why the Bronco is midsized, to capture the largest segment, and buyers who are willing to settle for smaller(FSB) or larger(compact) than they were hoping for. If the surge in popularity for off road capable SUVs persists and grows, then I'm sure Ford will pursue some more R&D for additional models of other sizes or capabilites.

dgorsett and vr00m_vr00m like this.
  14. phillyfx4

phillyfx4 Well-Known Member

so by this chart the 2021 Bronco will be smaller than the new Explorers ?

10.jpg

15. BroncoMike

BroncoMike Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
    The '19 Ranger is smaller than the '20 Explorer in all exterior dimensions except height. Explorer is heavier. Explorer has a seating capacity of seven, I wouldn't expect the (4-door) Bronco to manage more than five. Ranger has a longer wheelbase, no telling where that will be on the 4-door Bronco but 126" would be kind of long, I think - a JLU is 118.4" compared to the Explorer's 119.1"

I haven't seen dimensions on the next-gen Ranger that Bronco will share some archetecture with, but if it is sized similar to the current Ranger, I would fully expect the Bronco to be smaller than the 2020 Explorer in almost every aspect unless they're going to bump up sizes again.