Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Small Utility ('baby Bronco') was pictured testing again, showing off some extra boxy bodywork again. We'll probably see a lot more of this than the real deal for at least the next several months.

They're clearly taking some extra effort to hide some body lines.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1124597_2021-ford-baby-bronco-spy-shots
2019-AUG-16 2021-ford-baby-bronco-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100712109_h.jpg

2019-AUG-16 2021-ford-baby-bronco-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100712107_h.jpg

baby OEM04_181119762_AR_0_DBVVGBODDNHL.jpg

10.jpg

In some ways it does beg the question of why the Escape which started out much like this was transfigured into a car, and this vehicle will take that mini-suv space? Why not keep the Escape what it began as, and make the new nameplate take the car space?
Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am wondering at exactly what they draw that right line of rugged at. Is all the way to the right things like purpose built off-road only non-street legal buggies and trophy truck type things. Or the wrangler? Like, where would they place the wrangler onto that graphic? the original Bronco? big Bronco?

Granted if they have that thing up top with pizza cutters, no clearance, and no travel as that far to the right as rugged, doesn't bode well for what I hope the Bronco to be.

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am wondering at exactly what they draw that right line of rugged at. Is all the way to the right things like purpose built off-road only non-street legal buggies and trophy truck type things. Or the wrangler? Like, where would they place the wrangler onto that graphic? the original Bronco? big Bronco?...
I questioned the scale of that graphic as well when I was first looking at it, but we have to remember it was part of some PowerPoint type presentation, and they just wanted it to be easy to read. I for one hope the reality is more like this ...

real scale.png

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lmao I love your fixed chart

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I questioned the scale of that graphic as well when I was first looking at it, but we have to remember it was part of some PowerPoint type presentation, and they just wanted it to be easy to read. I for one hope the reality is more like this ...

real scale.png
Exactly. If we were to take that linearly, then the bronco is not so far better than the expedition as the expedition is to the new escape. which would be, well, shit.

I would really like something that I can drive from the showroom floor straight to my land and across my field without having to throw 10k in mods to have to the height, tires, and power to get through some slick grass and maybe a couple inches of mud. (A stock wrangler sport would get stuck....hell, my jacked up F250 on 37s gets stuck crossing when it's really wet and saturated and I need to get the tractor out there to get her out)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The more I look at the prototype and the NV spy picture, I notice the roofline has a bit of an unusual shape to it. Almost reminiscent of an old Land Rover. Do you suppose they worked some kind of roof removability into the small utility as well?

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The more I look at the prototype and the NV spy picture, I notice the roofline has a bit of an unusual shape to it. Almost reminiscent of an old Land Rover. Do you suppose they worked some kind of roof removability into the small utility as well?
no. I think that they just made it flat around/between the roof rails to hide the lines.

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
no. I think that they just made it flat around/between the roof rails to hide the lines.
I'm not talking about the cardboard box or whatever that is obviously attached between the rails, I'm talking about something like this, on one of their theoretical competitors ...

1457123582-Renegade-open-roof.jpg

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I frankly don't understand why there is so much discussion about this new cross-over on this board. ... I fail to see how this pertains to the Bronco at all...
Design language.

I too certainly hope that they're in entirely different leagues when it comes to off road capability and objective ruggedness. While I personally find the idea distatefull that a little crossover will share the Bronco name with what I was hoping to buy/drive, it is hard to ignore the possibility that Ford intends them to share a lot more than a blue oval.

From the NV photo and prototype pictures it is safe to say that the Bronco and the small utility will probably share some design language principles. Because Ford is probably going to hide the actual Bronco from us for as long as possible (in part because they want the small utility to also be a sales success and not be entirely overshadowed by the Bronco), I am personally interested in examining this model for any clues that could tell me something useful or interesting that it might share with the Bronco.

That's the same reason I've closely monitored every other Ford model launch and presentation for the last couple years.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/where-does-the-bronco-fit-in-fords-lineup.454/

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Small Utility ('baby Bronco') was pictured testing again, showing off some extra boxy bodywork again. We'll probably see a lot more of this than the real deal for at least the next several months.

They're clearly taking some extra effort to hide some body lines.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1124597_2021-ford-baby-bronco-spy-shots
2019-AUG-16 2021-ford-baby-bronco-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100712109_h.jpg

2019-AUG-16 2021-ford-baby-bronco-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100712107_h.jpg

baby OEM04_181119762_AR_0_DBVVGBODDNHL.jpg

10.jpg

In some ways it does beg the question of why the Escape which started out much like this was transfigured into a car, and this vehicle will take that mini-suv space? Why not keep the Escape what it began as, and make the new nameplate take the car space?
Look at all that opportunity for a FSB!

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look at all that opportunity for a FSB!
I have often thought they could fill that just by making a 2-door version of the Expedition ... that nearly no-one would buy.

There are a lot of indicators suggesting that segment isn't very large, nor is the compact end of objectively rugged vehicles. That's why the Bronco is midsized, to capture the largest segment, and buyers who are willing to settle for smaller(FSB) or larger(compact) than they were hoping for. If the surge in popularity for off road capable SUVs persists and grows, then I'm sure Ford will pursue some more R&D for additional models of other sizes or capabilites.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The '19 Ranger is smaller than the '20 Explorer in all exterior dimensions except height. Explorer is heavier. Explorer has a seating capacity of seven, I wouldn't expect the (4-door) Bronco to manage more than five. Ranger has a longer wheelbase, no telling where that will be on the 4-door Bronco but 126" would be kind of long, I think - a JLU is 118.4" compared to the Explorer's 119.1"

I haven't seen dimensions on the next-gen Ranger that Bronco will share some archetecture with, but if it is sized similar to the current Ranger, I would fully expect the Bronco to be smaller than the 2020 Explorer in almost every aspect unless they're going to bump up sizes again.

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
so by this chart the 2021 Bronco will be smaller than the new Explorers ?...
The Explorer has ballooned up to within a couple inches of the Expedition -- they are both three row vehicles (7-8 passengers, plus cargo).

By the chart and the numbers, I would expect the new Bronco to be slightly smaller than the Edge, which is no petite vehicle either (although the Bronco may be heavier). Neither is the new Escape.

The regular Expediiton (short version) is:
  • 80" wide
  • 210" long
  • 122" wheelbase
  • 5600lb curb weight

The new 2020 Explorer is:
  • 79" wide
  • 199" long
  • 119" wheelbase
  • 4400lb curb weight

The Edge is:
  • 76" wide
  • 189" long
  • 112" wheelbase
  • 4100lb curb weight

New to the US Ranger is:
  • 73" wide
  • 211" long
  • 127" weelbase
  • 4400lb curb weight

AUS Everest is:
  • 73" wide
  • 196" long
  • 112" wheelbase
  • 4950lb curb weight

New 2020 Escape is:
  • 74" wide
  • 180" long
  • 107" wheelbase
  • 3550lb curb weight

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2020/escape/2020-Ford-Escape-Tech-Specs.pdf

Widths are excluding mirrors, ie body width. So the Escape is wider than the Ranger ... :eek: ... so that 'baby' Small Utility might not be much smaller than the Bronco.

Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.