First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Crazy, right? Now you see my dilemma with a family of 5 plus a dog.
Sponsored

Keith Holt

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've got reservation for a 4-door BL. I also have a family of 5, and a dog. When we head out to the wilderness, room is tight in the Runner. Load that thing up with gear and the critter and soon enough, we are over flowing and taking the wife's Subaru Ascent as well. Keep in mind the other four members of my family are females. That might help explain my situation.

Ideally I'd buy the Bronco and it fits my family, my dog and a few days worth of gear for heading into the back country. I don't think that is feasible, or realistic from everything I'm seeing with the Bronco. Interior cargo dimensions appear to be smaller than my 4Runner's, so I'd be taking a step backwards in that regard.

"What about buying a roof rack?" you might ask. Well I was planning on putting a RTT on my next vehicle, so there won't be room for gear and a RTT. Not sure I want to load and unload a RTT each time I want to use the roof rack for hauling gear either. Buy a trailer? Possibly an option, but that 3500lbs tow capacity is a joke, and I don't know I want two trailers - one for my Yamaha Grizzly 700 and a camping trailer/gear hauler? The Bronco can't tow a big enough toy hauler/camper.

So what do you all think?

1. Ditch the reservation and wait for the new Raptor or all new 2022 Tundra?
2. Buy the Bronco and learn new methods to control my inevitable rage when I can't fit all my crap in it for a weekend in the woods?
3. Buy a Ranger and hate myself every time I look in the mirror?
4. Sell all my belongings and live like a Sasquatch alone in the forest?
Buy an RV and flat tow your new bronco

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Buy an RV and flat tow your new bronco
That wouldn’t solve me wanting to stay in the back country when I get there though. Can’t take an RV off the beaten path to get away from traditional campgrounds, RV parks and general crowded outdoor areas.

Stonewall

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge D100, BMW, Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No offense, but you might be taking too much stuff...

My family of 4 + a little dog fits in a Subaru Crosstrek w/ a rack with no real problem. Came back from being out on the road for 2 weeks, little over a month ago, and it was great. Its not easy fitting everything in that little car but it gets it done. When we streamlined everything for the bare essentials, we discovered there was a lot of stuff we didn't truly need. (I will say, if you've got babies...can't help you there. Ours are in elementary so they need far less stuff.)

Our eventual goal is to buy an RV and flat tow the two-door Bronco, though.

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No offense, but you might be taking too much stuff...

My family of 4 + a little dog fits in a Subaru Crosstrek w/ a rack with no real problem. Came back from being out on the road for 2 weeks, little over a month ago, and it was great. Its not easy fitting everything in that little car but it gets it done. When we streamlined everything for the bare essentials, we discovered there was a lot of stuff we didn't truly need. (I will say, if you've got babies...can't help you there. Ours are in elementary so they need far less stuff.)

Our eventual goal is to buy an RV and flat tow the two-door Bronco, though.
The amount of stuff you want or need to take is subjective.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like you’ve experienced a lot of the same things I have hahaha

And yeah, dogs are family for sure.

rynomar

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am in the same boat as well, with three kids under 4 and a 65 pound dog to consider. We currently have a 2016 4Runner and have made it work for weekend trips, especially with a receiver hitch carrier on the back. I have considered getting a truck, but want the dog inside with us on trips and the utility of the SUV works better for me day to day.

My plan is to get a small M416 style trailer for longer trips and plan on that for our gear. We will probably be getting everyone out 6-10 times a year for long weekend trips and those little trailers are really nimble. The space in the 4 doors will be just fine for us otherwise.

There are compromises with any vehicle, get what you want and make it work! The options for trailers, roof racks, receiver hitch carriers, etc. provide a ton of options for figuring out what works best for you and will keep the wife and family happy.

OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am in the same boat as well, with three kids under 4 and a 65 pound dog to consider. We currently have a 2016 4Runner and have made it work for weekend trips, especially with a receiver hitch carrier on the back. I have considered getting a truck, but want the dog inside with us on trips and the utility of the SUV works better for me day to day.

My plan is to get a small M416 style trailer for longer trips and plan on that for our gear. We will probably be getting everyone out 6-10 times a year for long weekend trips and those little trailers are really nimble. The space in the 4 doors will be just fine for us otherwise.

There are compromises with any vehicle, get what you want and make it work! The options for trailers, roof racks, receiver hitch carriers, etc. provide a ton of options for figuring out what works best for you and will keep the wife and family happy.
Agreed ??

Sponsored
OP
OP
Clark

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hahaha!!! Seriously, three kids in 44 months. They must put something in the water here!
Just as long as that isn’t the excuse your wife gave you. ?

rynomar

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, she actually just corrected me. 34 months for all three of them. I did find out about number 2 after getting back from a month hunting in BC though....very suspicious.
Sponsored