First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Parents had it on a Mark VI. Made sense I guess then but now with comfort access and remote fobs I just don't get the point.
Going to the beach if the Bronco will allow you to lock the keys in.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Going to the beach if the Bronco will allow you to lock the keys in.
Now I never thought of that...but I'm so used to having my phone and wallet, that having a keyfob isn't much more.. besides leaving the key inside the car just scares me.

Which reminds me... with ford pass, can't you just unlock with your phone?

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Parents had it on a Mark VI. Made sense I guess then but now with comfort access and remote fobs I just don't get the point.
I used it all the time in my F150. Locking keys in car. Starting the truck and leaving it running. I travel with my dog a lot. I’m the summer it came in handy if I needed to make quick stops to leave it running so the dog does burn up. Yes remote start works and yes you can start it with the Ford App but it doesn’t stay on long that way. I always found it useful and am thinking of getting it with mine. I’m getting the MT so it won’t have remote start so If I wanted to keep engine on while I run into store if need this function. Also I hike and run a lot. Locking keys in car is awesome so I don’t have to carry them or hide in the gas cap.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doesn't mid package have smart access ?

I assume that works like my bmw. Have fob in your pocket and when I grab door handle it auto unlocks.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m always amazed at how many people have never

a) locked their keys and phone in their car or
b) asked someone to grab something out of their car or
c) walked all the way out to their car only to realize their keys/phone are sitting on their desk.

You know what *I’ve* never done? Used a lockout kit on a Ford vehicle with one of these keypads.

I’m getting it. It’s a lifesaver.

Sponsored
OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Although the wired / wireless aspect is in question, this explanation from link #3 above was very helpful sharing the expectations of battery life and replacement for aftermarket add-on versions:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/whos-adding-keyless-keypad-entry-and-why.8603/post-312329

The B&P version is hardwired to the vehicle. Thus, no battery dependency. That's an advantage of adding it via B&P; however, as I've said before, I like mine hidden. So, I get the battery versions after the purchase and stick it on out-of-plain-sight.

The aftermarket option is wireless and runs on battery.
Mine have lasted for at least 5 years before battery replacement.
The keypad is illuminated upon first touch and blinks when the battery is low. I used it with a low battery for at least an addition 6 months before actually getting around to replacing the battery..
Its one of those quarter size batteries. Pry the top off and replace the battery. No big deal.

I have a Mustang and Explorer. Both using battery type units ($80) and have never taken the keys out of the vehicles. Just too convenient for MTB riding, swimming, shorts and no pockets kinda days at the beach and letting others go wait in the truck without having to be there (for various reasons).

BTW, If you want to steal these vehicles by breaking the glass and using the keys in the cup holder. Do it. I'm old and have great insurance.

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It still makes a lot of sense for those times you walk up to the truck to grab something out of the interior, and realize you don't have a a fob in your pocket. Happens at least once a month here ("honey, I left xxx in the trick -- would you please go grab it?")

OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it confirmed that if ordered from the factory it is hardwired?

My understanding is that all of the Rangers come with wireless/batt operated stick-on keypads now. No hardwired units, even if ordered from the factory.
I would not say it's confirmed - I meant to clarify that. I went back and edited it to say that it's still in question.

I for one, do not know for certain. Based on what I can gather I believe the Rangers / Bronco to be wireless stick on, but that is only my conjecture.

Sponsored

Clump

Heritage
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Heritage
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I had a Fusion with the built in keypad. I didn't really have a use for it, but it was there and you'd never know unless you touched it.

My Ranger came with the "new" battery operated version. Besides being ugly it was completely dead. The battery is not supposed to be replaceable, but of course somebody figured out how to get it open and posted pics. It's a CR2032 battery. I replaced it and it was dead within a few days, confirming I got a bad one. Dealer service department insisted it wasn't a factory option (it's listed on my window sticker!). I went to the new car sales manager and he cut me a check for the $95 cost.

A lot of Ranger owners have mounted them inside the gas door. I can't see myself ever relying on it, so never bothered to replace it. I know it's handy for some people, but I don't think I could trust it.

The one on my Ranger looked identical to what I see in the Bronco B&P. Mine was definitely not hard wired.

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now I never thought of that...but I'm so used to having my phone and wallet, that having a keyfob isn't much more.. besides leaving the key inside the car just scares me.

Yes you will be able to unlock it with your phone and start it with your phone, which is why I would never use one, but there are some on here that want to lock all their stuff in the car for those beach trips. I don't know too many people that go anywhere without their cell phones these days, but I'm sure they are out there

Brownie

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, 1981 Trans Am, 1972 Austin Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes you will be able to unlock it with your phone and start it with your phone, which is why I would never use one, but there are some on here that want to lock all their stuff in the car for those beach trips. I don't know too many people that go anywhere without their cell phones these days, but I'm sure they are out there

I'm one of them. I have also left the key fob in the car for my wife, son and daughter before. Many times I have wanted entry to my vehicle while outside and instead of going in the house I just use the pad. I think maybe you understand the value of them more when you have had them before?

Here is an aftermarket install....

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

I’d prefer to lock keys, wallet and phone in vehicle. Beaches are packed here ask things can get “lost” easy
Sponsored