Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm on my 4th rear driveshaft (2dr sas no additional lift). I purchased the spicer shaft about 400 miles ago because the Ford ones bust the tcase side cv boot. Not building confidence the spicer shaft will last any better. Seems like every time I go to Moab it comes back with the rubber tcase side boot cracked. I'm tired of going to the dealer.
did you keep the bad shafts?
Sponsored

MattCO4x4

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have one Ford shaft from the last boot failure. The rest the dealer took. I was keeping it just in case the Spicer one fails so I can put the Ford one back on then get a 5th replacement from the dealer. I didn't lift so mine keep getting replaced under warranty. I am just really tired of dropping off my Bronco for the same problem over and over.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Question about how the rear driveshaft connects to the transfer case.

It appears that the t-case output shaft has a sort of "cup", and the round driveshaft end fits into it that cup? (Rather than a typical flange on my other vehicles.) Is that a correct assumption as indicated in the photo below?

Ford Bronco Spicer Driveshaft initial impression and long term review. 1706046199044

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Question about how the rear driveshaft connects to the transfer case.

It appears that the t-case output shaft has a sort of "cup", and the round driveshaft end fits into it that cup? (Rather than a typical flange on my other vehicles.) Is that a correct assumption as indicated in the photo below?

Ford Bronco Spicer Driveshaft initial impression and long term review. 1706046199044
Yup, the end of that CV inserts slightly into the cup. That’s why I think they kept the CV end on the spicer as they would have to make a new output shaft to accept a yoke. But who knows.

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Some updated shaft angles. For near SAS geometry. 2 door in yellow and 4 door in red. Assumes 2 door shaft is 35” long (don’t have one to measure just scaled wheelbase). Dashed lines for increased angles from a 2” spacer lift or effective shock length increase. Redrilling lower mount up 2” does same lift. Springs and preload will just move equilibrium ride height angle. 0 point for pinion motion.

the 4 door caps out at full droop from 12-14 degrees. 2 door at 17-20 degrees. Plus or minus 1 degree or so. 17 degrees on unmodified SAS 2 door doesn’t seem that high. It’s hard to get the 4 door angles excessive.

A59FD82B-114C-413C-A784-B95834609B37.jpeg

Sponsored

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want a dead shaft to take to Chattanooga driveline and have them make me a driveshaft... They are evil geniuses.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm on my 4th rear driveshaft (2dr sas no additional lift). I purchased the spicer shaft about 400 miles ago because the Ford ones bust the tcase side cv boot. Not building confidence the spicer shaft will last any better. Seems like every time I go to Moab it comes back with the rubber tcase side boot cracked. I'm tired of going to the dealer.
I have this problem as well and 2 dealerships have already refused to warranty because I have 2" lift. I even took pics of the angles on the alignment rack w/the rack leveled and vehicles at curb hieght...lifted BL Sasquatch:
20231220_121850.jpg

Unlifted Badlands non-sasquatch:
20231220_122538.jpg

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have this problem as well and 2 dealerships have already refused to warranty because I have 2" lift. I even took pics of the angles on the alignment rack w/the rack leveled and vehicles at curb hieght...lifted BL Sasquatch:
Ford Bronco Spicer Driveshaft initial impression and long term review. 20231220_122538

Ford Bronco Spicer Driveshaft initial impression and long term review. 20231220_122538
curious what are the details of the lift you are running in the rear?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
did you keep the bad shafts?
I still have my bad one my dealer refused to warranty. The second dealer offered to sell me a new one at cost, so I bought it and have it sitting in the box atm. I could send ya the old one after I change it? If your guys come up w/something tell them I want one too, and have them ship it to me? Was waiting till spring to change it, or till it started making noise

Sponsored

MattCO4x4

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Base

Interesting that your angle with a 2 inch lift is almost identical to my 2dr Sasquatch. No lift 14 degrees when I just measured sitting level in the garage.

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Interesting that your angle with a 2 inch lift is almost identical to my 2dr Sasquatch. No lift 14 degrees when I just measured sitting level in the garage.
Do you have any mods in the rear? Or are you completely 100% unmodified and stock.?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
More interesting that you got yours warrantied, and the one service manager told me Ford would call back the part and that they would be able to see that it was installed on a lifted vehicle, and bounce the claim! I don't believe that, and I don't believe any reasonably sane person believes that either! Whatever...I just want a driveshaft that works!

MattCO4x4

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do you have any mods in the rear? Or are you completely 100% unmodified and stock.?
No modifications to the suspension. Plenty of other mods that I would imagine just add weight - fulls skids, metal rear bumper... Stock 2dr Sasquatch Base in terms of suspension. Well swaybar disconnect but that doesn't effect the height.

MattCO4x4

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Base
More interesting that you got yours warrantied, and the one service manager told me Ford would call back the part and that they would be able to see that it was installed on a lifted vehicle, and bounce the claim! I don't believe that, and I don't believe any reasonably sane person believes that either! Whatever...I just want a driveshaft that works!
Oh Ford service did question me about if it was modified. I had skids on the rear shock mounts and they asked about it because the suspension bolts had to be loosened. Showed marks that that kept bringing up. They even asked why I needed all those skid plates.
Sponsored