First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have that same strip of sloppy ppf or whatever that is in the gap. I wondered if it's some type of protection against rubbing even though my MIC doesn't seem to touch it at all. Odd that I only have it on one side as well. I was going to redo it, but it doesn't seem necessary?
Ya the first time I took the top off I noticed that strip wouldn’t last long, already looked bubbled up. I assumed it was for protecting paint when removing and installing top but i really have no idea. Ford will save a nickel per unit everywhere they can so they must think it has some use?
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have that same strip of sloppy ppf or whatever that is in the gap. I wondered if it's some type of protection against rubbing even though my MIC doesn't seem to touch it at all. Odd that I only have it on one side as well. I was going to redo it, but it doesn't seem necessary?
Ya the first time I took the top off I noticed that strip wouldn’t last long, already looked bubbled up. I assumed it was for protecting paint when removing and installing top but i really have no idea. Ford will save a nickel per unit everywhere they can so they must think it has some use?
It's thick PPP on both sides (driver and passenger); also on soft top and hard top models.

TheDoctor

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I understand the OP's solution for the noise...but was the issue caused by a misalignment of the top, or misalignment of the fender? Not sure if that is clear, but is the problem with the top, but moving the fender location fixes the symptom?

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I understand the OP's solution for the noise...but was the issue caused by a misalignment of the top, or misalignment of the fender? Not sure if that is clear, but is the problem with the top, but moving the fender location fixes the symptom?
The TSB shows this squeak is a rather wide spread issue. I can’t say if most are due to the top or fender, or maybe combination of both. My fender had a little wiggle room to move in enough that it fixed the issue. I think if my top was built correctly I would of not had the issue in the first place. My fender to tailgate seam looks perfect and matches driver side, so I know I didn’t cause any issues when making the slight adjustment. One day I will have the top replaced under warranty. No rush, waiting for evidence they are producing better tops consistently. Better yet the eventual MIC 3.0.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No rush, waiting for evidence they are producing better tops consistently. Better yet the eventual MIC 3.0.
I'm waiting for the inevitable MIC 3.5 or 4.0. 😂

Not really. I am curious to see how the painted MOD top turns out. God only knows when that will be available. In the meantime, I thank you and your fellow FE owners for your alpha "beta"-testing service. ;)

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Not really. I am curious to see how the painted MOD top turns out. God only knows when that will be available. In the meantime, I thank you and your fellow FE owners for your alpha "beta"-testing service. ;)
I know I’m not shy to point out the warts, but I will never complain about having a MIC top. I’ll take my dud over a perfectly built flappy top any day. 😎

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

And ya that $7000 mod top might be on my FE one day. I’ll decide when we see what the vaporware looks like. 😂

Tkekich

Big Bend
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Recently my 4 door hardtop Bronco started a new obnoxious noise, a squeak coming from the cargo area. I've actually heard this noise randomly since delivery, but was far too infrequent to ever pinpoint it. A couple weeks ago it became relentless and non stop. I have zero tolerance for squeaks/rattles, and have a love/hate relationship with my Bronco due to all the time I've had to spend chasing them down, but this was one that would drive anyone crazy. I haven't lost a rattle(squeak) battle yet, and wasn't about to loose this one.

I started with my go to method, have my wife drive around while I sit in the back and chase down the noise. This one was hard to pinpoint, it was obviously coming from the tailgate area but couldn't tell exactly where. I thought it was the hinges or seals, which I lubed but didn't help. Then I lubed and insulated the lift gate window stoppers, no help. Lubed the tailgate latch, no help. Then I spent some time on a deep dive of internet searching to see if anyone else had this issue. All I really found was tailgate rattles, but my noise is a squeak, not a rattle. Still spent some time investigating things people with tailgate rattle found like the rubber stoppers for the spare tire. Removed spare, no help. Took apart the tailgate front and back to get access to the inside, didn't see anything. Another round of searching I came across recently released TSB # 22-2097 - 5 Door - Hard Top Roof - Squeak and/or chirp from rear of vehicle. Well damn that's me.

TSB basically points to body gap at the rear fender and hardtop. Peeking at mine I instantly realize this is going to be my problem. TSB with procedure attached.

First step is take a 1mm feeler gauge and see if you have resistance sticking it between the fender and MIC top. Driver side slides in with no resistance.

39619596-96B4-4158-935B-9ED69DBF2FF6.jpeg

Passenger side doesn't come close, the gap is tight and appears to make contact in a certain area.

98B317D2-6C4F-4823-BACB-46F1A54F1232.jpeg

So the next step is to remove the plastic hinge cover to get access to the mounting bolts. The procedure has you loosen one of the bolts, push fender in, and retighten. If that doesn't create enough gap, do the same procedure on the other mounting bolt. I had to do the procedure on both bolts a couple times, the fender is very flimsy so I took it easy being careful not to dent or bend the panel. Here are the results after my adjustments, you can see how much I moved the fender by the exposed paint marks.

F2B2C12D-6F6D-42AE-9EA2-19BC701A2BEA.jpeg

After adjustment I can now slide the 1mm feeler guage in, but its tight.

EFD50464-B0D6-4C38-AA4E-E40987827438.jpeg

There is no way I can get the 2.5-5.5mm gap recommended by the TSB without damaging the fender. In my case, my issue isn't really the fender itself, its my damn MIC top. This is what my passenger corner looks like.

438272A2-98FC-48E9-B49A-3A9ACCB3AB9D.jpeg

Driver side for comparison.

B33FBB71-5250-420E-A670-B069754AFECD.jpeg

You can see how the corner sits lower than the window panel on passenger side. This is one of the many issues with my MIC top I've noted since delivery, but didn't realize it was rubbing on the fender.

Happy to report no squeaking sounds since making the adjustment. Not sure why it started squeaking so bad recently, I haven't taken the top off in about a month. The weather has really warmed up last couple weeks but not sure that's really a factor. Anyway, its a simple 15 minute procedure worth looking into if you have a squeaky tailgate area!
Thank you very much for all the detail in your findings. I just followed your instruction and the TSB. I took it for a ride down the same bumpy streets and it's like a Holiday miracle! pain in the rear end squeak....pun intended...is gone..

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thank you very much for all the detail in your findings. I just followed your instruction and the TSB. I took it for a ride down the same bumpy streets and it's like a Holiday miracle! pain in the rear end squeak....pun intended...is gone..
That’s awesome! Yes that was pretty obnoxious noise.

KPZ2117

Outer Banks
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That’s awesome! Yes that was pretty obnoxious noise.
did the noise sound like there was a 24 pack case of water bottles in the trunk area? That’s exactly the noise I’m dealing with and it’s driving me NUTS!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

did the noise sound like there was a 24 pack case of water bottles in the trunk area? That’s exactly the noise I’m dealing with and it’s driving me NUTS!
Yes that’s a pretty good description lol. I was so certain it was the weather stripping seals but lubing those didn’t help for me like others.

KPZ2117

Outer Banks
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes that’s a pretty good description lol. I was so certain it was the weather stripping seals but lubing those didn’t help for me like others.
well I took the top off today and the noise is still there so it’s not from the top. Ugh, back to square one

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

well I took the top off today and the noise is still there so it’s not from the top. Ugh, back to square one
Lube the seals. That seems more common than what my problem was.

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I read this thread with tons of hope since I have an annoying squeak as well. Then I 😥 because I have a soft top…

Glad you got your problem fixed though!

OP
OP
Ksjrb03

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I read this thread with tons of hope since I have an annoying squeak as well. Then I 😥 because I have a soft top…

Glad you got your problem fixed though!
Try lubing the seals on tailgate.
Sponsored