Roddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello All,

I have an Outer Banks Soft Top. After putting the soft top back for the first time a few weeks ago, a squeaking begun when driving on rough roads. It appears to come from the rear passenger side area. I have read so many threads about certain squeaks and was ready to buy the lube to JUST LUBE IT ALL. Then this week I went offroad to get to a trailhead. The squeaking was driving me utterly insane. I mean, it was a poorly maintained dirt road and I could not stand it after 4-5 miles on that road.

After my hike, the weather had turned very nice. So I took the soft top back to the halfway point. It's the furthest I have taken it. With the soft top back. There was no squeaking. So, it is not the door, or the crossbar or anything else. It's the soft top. Now, if I am on a road and it is squeaking to all high hell. I just grab the soft top by one of the bars above me and pull down, and the squeak disappears.

So I am guessing is the seals for the soft top OR something rubbing that should not be rubbing with the frame.

Has anyone else had this specific squeal? If so, where was it and how did you fix? Just lube? Where?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hello All,

I have an Outer Banks Soft Top. After putting the soft top back for the first time a few weeks ago, a squeaking begun when driving on rough roads. It appears to come from the rear passenger side area. I have read so many threads about certain squeaks and was ready to buy the lube to JUST LUBE IT ALL. Then this week I went offroad to get to a trailhead. The squeaking was driving me utterly insane. I mean, it was a poorly maintained dirt road and I could not stand it after 4-5 miles on that road.

After my hike, the weather had turned very nice. So I took the soft top back to the halfway point. It's the furthest I have taken it. With the soft top back. There was no squeaking. So, it is not the door, or the crossbar or anything else. It's the soft top. Now, if I am on a road and it is squeaking to all high hell. I just grab the soft top by one of the bars above me and pull down, and the squeak disappears.

So I am guessing is the seals for the soft top OR something rubbing that should not be rubbing with the frame.

Has anyone else had this specific squeal? If so, where was it and how did you fix? Just lube? Where?
Hi Roddy! I can look into your Bronco's noise concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN?

RyanM

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did you get a fix for this? Having the exact same issue.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you confirmed that the midpoint latch on the passenger side is, well, latched correctly? If you are only closing from the driver's side the passenger mid latch doesn't always catch.

OP
OP
roddyrides

roddyrides

Outer Banks
First Name
Roddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Funny thing is, if I just put my finger on the middle bracket and either put minimal pressure up or down. It stops immediately. As seen in this pic.
Ford Bronco Squeaking after first Soft Top Use IMG_7073

Sponsored
OP
OP
roddyrides

roddyrides

Outer Banks
First Name
Roddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have you confirmed that the midpoint latch on the passenger side is, well, latched correctly? If you are only closing from the driver's side the passenger mid latch doesn't always catch.
this is going to sound stupid. But both sides are suppose to latch and not move unless I press the gray thingy?

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This has got me before - that latch is sneaky. May also just try folding it all the way back then pulling it back up - may find something funky just in doing that.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

this is going to sound stupid. But both sides are suppose to latch and not move unless I press the gray thingy?
Correct - both sides latch, but the release is only on drivers side.

they also latch it down when you pull the top all the way back

OP
OP
roddyrides

roddyrides

Outer Banks
First Name
Roddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ll check on this when I return home this weekend. @RyanM , you think this could be your cause as well?

RyanM

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes, both sides are latched. Mine also goes away when I pull down on that center bar. I think it may be that the latch isn’t clamping down tightly and that’s causing the squeak.

Sponsored
OP
OP
roddyrides

roddyrides

Outer Banks
First Name
Roddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just tried this. The passenger side was not fully latched lifted and brought back and ensured it latched. Squeaking still happening! It's literally driving me insane anytime I drive any road with any bumps, I just hear the squeaks. I will take it in somewhere, just don't know where. I bought mine from a dealer 60 miles away.

OP
OP
roddyrides

roddyrides

Outer Banks
First Name
Roddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Finally took it to the dealer today. I was able to replicate the sound and they were able to resolve the issue. Right were the second cross bar is, there was a spot were it was rubbing. Here’s the resolution straight from the dealer. Not a sound at the moment. Stay tuned!

From dealer notes attached “test drove with customer verified squeek from second cross bow on soft top over bumps isolated to stops at each end of 2nd bow cross bar install rubber hose and lube test drove noise is gone”

IMG_7519.jpeg
Sponsored