Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Getting in the car today I noticed wear on the softop. It is bad enough that the driver side has rubbed through the top down to the rubber below

It appears as though the top is rubbing on itself, or something when it is all the way down. I say that because when I put it back it didn't appear to touch anything. It also appears on both sides, though the driver side has worn through and the passenger has not yet.

Will be reporting this to my dealer on Monday.

PXL_20210801_004706213.jpg

PXL_20210801_004820805.jpg

Update 8/1

Took a minute today to do some troubleshooting. It looks like when the top is folded back it can fold under the frame and rub against a piece of plastic. I noticed it folded differently yesterday so not sure what causes it to fold under and rub versus not. Definitely check your top when folding it back.

Pictures of the issue.

PXL_20210801_234225961.jpg
I see the decal is suggesting reading the manual. Are there any suggestions in there for proper operation?
Sponsored

NoDoorsNoProblem

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC Canyon SLT Mini-Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update 8/1

Took a minute today to do some troubleshooting. It looks like when the top is folded back it can fold under the frame and rub against a piece of plastic. I noticed it folded differently yesterday so not sure what causes it to fold under and rub versus not. Definitely check your top when folding it back.

Pictures of the issue.

This pretty much confirms what I posted about earlier on Page 5 of this thread, about making sure the folds accordion neatly every time it gets folded. Sorry it resulted in premature wear on your top, one of the bad things about getting yours early is it sucks to be the test mule for the rest of us haha.

Do you think this is an easily avoidable issue with a bit of extra attention making sure it folds neatly every time, or do you think that it’s going to keep happening?

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This pretty much confirms what I posted about earlier on Page 5 of this thread, about making sure the folds accordion neatly every time it gets folded. Sorry it resulted in premature wear on your top, one of the bad things about getting yours early is it sucks to be the test mule for the rest of us haha.

Do you think this is an easily avoidable issue with a bit of extra attention making sure it folds neatly every time, or do you think that it’s going to keep happening?
I'm guessing most are putting the top up and down by themselves. Seems like when the top is lifted, it would be easy to push or pull it out of alignment and have it rub.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

by, you know, never, ever, ever, ever putting the top down...
Such thoughts should never enter your mind let alone be said (in this case typed) out loud! Shhhhhh 😂

Sponsored

bassdrumbone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Transit Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here’s to hoping the aftermarket can correct this, I’m thinking Ford is probably more concerned with the MIC top at the moment and will have the dealers solution be a patch kit, like the ones my Mom would sow on the knees of my jeans in the 80’s

More like iron on...

BandofEskimoBrothers

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I love how folks talk about Toyota like they are bullet proof. Like they don't have service departments, recall or other issues.
Should have seen the Tacoma message boards when the new body style came out in 2016. Lots of transmission concerns, the mirror whistling at low speeds, etc etc etc. This is all a bit of deja vu for me.

Think there have been 4 recalls for my truck since then. Toyota makes nice vehicles, but this crap happens to all manufacturers.

This soft-top issue for the OP though, that looks more like user created. Pinch fabric in a metal hinge and it is not going to appreciate it.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We appreciate your sharing this....you've gotten some fire as usual...but for most of us, we'll now be careful lowering and raising the top. In the vids, of course, it's quick and easy....lol. But paying attention now might prevent the rubbing.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I don't have these issues on my 35 year old Ford convertible anyways.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, same here. But, I do wish I had put in 2 reservations and went with one early to resale. :D
No kidding. With some effort there could have been a whole scalping market for Broncos. Lol

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Getting in the car today I noticed wear on the softop. It is bad enough that the driver side has rubbed through the top down to the rubber below

It appears as though the top is rubbing on itself, or something when it is all the way down. I say that because when I put it back it didn't appear to touch anything. It also appears on both sides, though the driver side has worn through and the passenger has not yet.

Will be reporting this to my dealer on Monday.

PXL_20210801_004706213.jpg

PXL_20210801_004820805.jpg

Update 8/1

Pictures of the issue.

Hi there! This definitely doesn’t sound like the experience we want you to be having with your Bronco– If you'd like to, go ahead and send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage. I’d be happy to look into this for you. Thanks!

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wow. If only Ford found an experienced high quality soft-top roof producer with extensive Off-Road product experience to partner with. Someone who could make their Soft tops for BOTH the two and four door models AND give Bronco owners non-wavy windows…. Someone maybe like:

Ford Bronco Soft Top Wearing Through After 4 Weeks 43F437C4-1DBA-4D42-958A-9B30A77FF443
Ford Bronco Soft Top Wearing Through After 4 Weeks 33A89005-2B32-44E6-9BF7-E2993B0823CD
Ford Bronco Soft Top Wearing Through After 4 Weeks A1736800-F851-4C9E-880B-487B179502E0

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wow. If only Ford found an experienced high quality soft-top roof producer with extensive Off-Road product experience to partner with. Someone who could make their Soft tops for BOTH the two and four door models AND give Bronco owners non-wavy windows…. Someone maybe like:

Ford Bronco Soft Top Wearing Through After 4 Weeks A1736800-F851-4C9E-880B-487B179502E0
The window still looks a bit wavy in the 2nd pic and that's on a $2300 top.
Sponsored