Status Symbol Complex

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well said. There are an abundance of subject matter experts and keyboard gladiators in any virtual group and it is just the law of averages.
I have noticed this group is overwhelmingly supportive of each other with few exceptions, which is above normal.
Just all keep in mind what has been said before this post (it’s yours, do what is right for you) is a great rule of thumb.
I do wish we had less people belittling others and downgrading their wants/needs because it doesn’t jive with what they believe themselves.
Kinda like politics (which is thankfully absent here). (Some) People can’t allow a differing desire or opinion to hold any value.
but it does.
I may not like color A or option B or the number of doors Joe Blow gets on his. I ain’t paying for it so it’s not my concern. Joe, you do you, pal.
Im gonna do mine the way that works for my needs/wants.
my name is going on the loan and the title, not some random person in another state who lives an entirely different lifestyle than I.
peace, love, and dirt roads, peeps.
Sponsored

wavydave

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8 GXP, 04 F150 FX4, Wildtrak 2DR, Badlands 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My G6 will be limited to scenic trails and the grocery store. I have a SXS for the deep woods. It's easier that way.

Life Lesson: There's always a bigger and badder toy than yours.
Wait, what? You're getting a ten year discontinued Pontiac?

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally, I would never take a brand-new $50k-$60k vehicle to the Rubicon Trail to get all torn up. That just doesn't make financial sense for me.
You know you literally just did what you said people should not do. Just saying.
But I agree it's strange when people judge about what others are getting but if people didn't want comments they probably wouldn't come to a forum.

Sponsored

Monster79

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Stang, 07'F150, 23',96',93',79'Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You obviously missed the connection a few of us had in the B&P thread last night.

Yeah I'm looking at you @Monster79 :p
As long as it's you.. @EvlNvrDys

Side note, I could care less about what model you get.. a bronco is a bronco in my eyes.. cept' those damn brick nose ones, Yea I said it.. chair me!
Other side of note, If anyone feels like any model is not as good or better and think they are some how superior can just go f**k off honestly. WE make it what it is, whether it's a base with the steelies or a FE will all the bells and whistle just be proud that you could get one.

Could be worse, they could have Blazer'd us..

Note that fell on the floor and swept under the table, The flares are absolutely horrible and you should take them off ASAP.

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Me jealous? Ha! I own a G8 GXP 6sp Man, not a lowly G6 rental car...

(psst... did you guys get the tongue in cheek joke?)
Status Symbol Complex
I'm getting a G10 GXP+1 ... Check that status symbol complex! :ROFLMAO:

TheWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Silverado HD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I posted this in another thread, but think it works here just as well. My thoughts are as follows:

I've been around the Jeep Forums for years and have heard these arguments time and time again. Posers and soccer mom jokes abound. Criticism of "mall crawlers," references to "mud bling." Each successive generation had to listen to the previous generations rants about "real jeeps"

To me "most capable" and "real" are different.

While forums certainly house a disproportionately high percentage of users who actually put the off-road capabilities to the test (and good for you if that's your goal,) the truth is that the VAST majority of these vehicles that Jeep or Ford produces in this narrow segment will never (purposely) venture off the pavement.

And that's ok. It's wrong to ignore the off-road capabilities of the vehicle, but it is also wrong to ignore the fact that this is now just the second current offering of a potential 5 person seating 4x4 with a removable top.

IMO: if you want to take the bronco off-road and put it through its paces, AWESOME! Have fun. But also, if you want to pile it full of kids, and take a ride through the country just to enjoy the sun and wind creating memories with your family while staying comfortably on the road: AWESOME!! have fun.

Valuing the vehicle for a different aspect of its build does not make the user or the vehicle less legitimate. Let's not ignore a significant subset of fellow enthusiasts just because they place more value in a different offering of the same vehicle than we do. Welcome all lovers of these awesome machines.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What pisses me off is trim shaming. Getting called poor for buying the lower trim level. Or calling base models poverty editions. I see it all the time in the F-150 groups. If you don't own at least a Lariat you are low class. Sorry but even the base Bronco isn't cheap in comparison to other vehicles out there. And if you can afford one you are far from poor. People just need to get a life and quit worrying about how others spend their money or use their vehicles.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Wildtrak for sure will be better at high speeds than MOST other trims. 2.7 stock and Baja mode. You should watch videos of Baja mode, pretty impressive stuff. I also believe it's a tad wide with wheels spacers but I could be wrong.
Nope, BL has 2.7 and Baja mode. It will be the exact suspension and dimensions as any Squatch. Wild track is a "higher trim level" with a lower price point. Ford is pulling a fast one by pricing it higher than the BL, so it looks like the higher end model, but the people who really want to wheel will know they need to go BL. After adding the extras BL people will be paying the same as the FE. The Badlands is the workhorse. For the most part, the Wildtrack is going to be popular for those who see mostly street duty. If you don't care for the SBD, might as well save the money, but a Full build Badlands is the top Bronco.

Sponsored

Wahoowa

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I lurked this site for a few years and have always loved the good natured spirit of this place. Finally signed up to post after the reveal. There are plenty other sites Ive been engaged since the 90s -mostly related to my school / college athletics. People can be weird on those - and have always felt like this group was supportive of one another - hope it remains that way, as more of us newbies are engaged (points finger at self). Hell, it’s a vehicle we all love - some of us for same reason, some for different reasons. Don’t matter to me - it’s just a sweet ride no matter how folks wanna use it.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have noticed this group is overwhelmingly supportive of each other
Let's see what happens when the mechanical failures start to be shared as well as the "lessons learned".

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You know you literally just did what you said people should not do. Just saying.
But I agree it's strange when people judge about what others are getting but if people didn't want comments they probably wouldn't come to a forum.
Actually no I didn't because I said that I would not and cannot due to my financial situation, but others that can, should. You should read my statement again brother.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok, so here goes.

I’m getting a Big Bend trim.

Whew, that wasn’t so bad. <and cue the chairs>

Truth: my Bronco will cost ten times more than each of the last three cars I’ve bought. I’ve been a used car buying lifer. Always wrenched on my rides, sometimes before I even got to drive them for the first time. Wife got new cars, took hers on trips, you know the drill. Me? I’m always thrilled my car makes it and I always have a list as long as my forearm of stuff it needs.

So yeah, after all is said and done I’m liable to be buying a $50k Big Bend, it hurts to think about that. I know what you’re thinking but it’s not about being able to afford it, it’s the change in mentality that is bending my brain.

I saw the reveal on the 13th. The Bronco somehow lodged in my brain. The next day it was all I could think about. I must have watched their PR videos a hundred times. By the end of the day I was saying it out loud:

“You need a Bronco.”

So yeah, I live in Michigan, and I’ll never crawl on rocks. But I’m looking forward to car camping and crazy trips where I’d never take the wife’s car. And yeah, I’ll prolly get Arizona pinstripes all over it before it’s a year old. And that’s ok. Coz it’s a Bronco.

So now to the topic at hand: status and how to handle potential fellow Bronco owners ego’s when they want to peacock in front of me with some shiny new accessory. You know what? After all this pandemic crazy stuff going on I’m looking forward to hearing even the most inane blah blah about some doodad I could not give a crap about.

To make the whole encounter more palatable for me I may pop a cold one and drink straight from the can. Feel free to grab one, too, coz talking Broncos is fun.

dangerzone79

Black Diamond
First Name
O- -O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond & 1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nope, BL has 2.7 and Baja mode. It will be the exact suspension and dimensions as any Squatch. Wild track is a "higher trim level" with a lower price point. Ford is pulling a fast one by pricing it higher than the BL, so it looks like the higher end model, but the people who really want to wheel will know they need to go BL. After adding the extras BL people will be paying the same as the FE. The Badlands is the workhorse. For the most part, the Wildtrack is going to be popular for those who see mostly street duty. If you don't care for the SBD, might as well save the money, but a Full build Badlands is the top Bronco.
Lol, don't "nope" me. BL doesn't have 2.7 stock. WT does. That's what I'm saying. Everyone knows that when optioned up the Badlands is FE range like you said. WT is easy for people like me. Every option I would want, no need for the disco, nothing to think about. Easy. No interest in rocks, tons of interest in dirt/sand. Plus WT has sport mode for street, BL does not.
Sponsored