First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It depends on what you consider LT, but I’ve talked to BajaKits about this setup since the wheel travel number in their description didn’t seem right (you should be getting 11” on stock counting your shock stroke is good). Wheel travel with that new LCA is actually around 13” counting you’ve got a good stroke length which few would consider mid travel

It’s LT in my book. Also, there is no such thing as “prerunner kings”.
Actually there definitely are "prerunner kings". Back in the day king used to have the prerunner series shocks and the race series shocks. The prerunners had some lower quality parts in them to keep costs down. The race series had viton seals, hardened shafts, steel braided reservoir hoses, steel bypass valves, machined caps over the Schrader valves and basically were all around better shocks.

At some point king changed the name to performance series. I am not sure what all the differences are currently.
Sponsored

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry typo on that, “prerunner kit” not kings, although prerunner kings sound awesome. 13-16” is where most mid travel truck systems range. LT for me is 16” or greater with the upper arm mount changed and usually the coil bucket redesigned. I’ve installed and ran both on raptors, and there is a huge jump between the the two. It’s like jumping from a leaf truck to a 4 link.
I’m not sure what you’ve run before, but I’ve never seen any IFS street rigs (Toyota, any kind of raptor, etc) with a long travel Kit that got more than 15, with most of them topping out around the 13 mark. You’ve got higher standards than Marlin, Camburg, Dirt King, and all of them, friend.

Just to give some examples, here’s what Camburg considers an LT kit for the raptor that brings wheel travel to right around 14” (most I’ve ever seen for a street legal rig made by an auto mfg)
https://camburg.com/shop/suspension...ord-raptor-17-20-performance-long-travel-kit/

here’s another one for a Tacoma claiming 13.5 (more common amount):
https://dirtkingfabrication.com/products/long-travel-kit

I’ve found some aftermarket mfgs over the years claiming ridiculous amounts of travel like 15+“ ahead of anyone else for the platform, only to find out it’s never achieved without a messed up alignment.

Again, there’s no real definition for long travel so it is what it is to you, but you must be building some trophy trucks!

Last edited:

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Amount of travel, overall shock quality, smoothness of the suspension. I’d be mostly driving at higher speeds then any hardcore rock crawling.
It's really a question of Digressive piston design vs. Linear progressive.
If you want to go fast-ish off-road, go Linear Progressive.

4XMORE

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’m not sure what you’ve run before, but I’ve never seen any IFS street rigs (Toyota, any kind of raptor, etc) with a long travel Kit that got more than 15, with most of them topping out around the 13 mark. You’ve got higher standards than Marlin, Camburg, Dirt King, and all of them, friend.

Just to give some examples, here’s what Camburg considers an LT kit for the raptor that brings wheel travel to right around 14” (most I’ve ever seen for a street legal rig made by an auto mfg)
https://camburg.com/shop/suspension...ord-raptor-17-20-performance-long-travel-kit/

here’s another one for a Tacoma claiming 13.5 (more common amount):
https://dirtkingfabrication.com/products/long-travel-kit

I’ve found some aftermarket mfgs over the years claiming ridiculous amounts of travel like 15+“ ahead of anyone else for the platform, only to find out it’s never achieved without a messed up alignment.

Again, there’s no real definition for long travel so it is what it is to you, but you must be building some trophy trucks!
For me a long travel requires moving the upper arm and redesigning the coil bucket. Usually giving you 16” or greater. Most truck fabrication shops would agree with that categorization. A simple H&M kit would be a long travel kit example.

https://www.race-dezert.com/home/hm...ll-the-benchmark-of-craftsmanship-235479.html

Most raptor consider 15-16” mid travel, and that’s pretty universal. SVC, RPG or Camburg should cycle there on their mid travels.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For me a long travel requires moving the upper arm and redesigning the coil bucket. Usually giving you 16” or greater. Most truck fabrication shops would agree with that categorization. A simple H&M kit would be a long travel kit example.

https://www.race-dezert.com/home/hm...ll-the-benchmark-of-craftsmanship-235479.html

Most raptor consider 15-16” mid travel, and that’s pretty universal. SVC, RPG or Camburg should cycle there on their mid travels.
That sir, in my humble opinion, is not a long tavel kit - that's an almost one of a kind trophy truck in my book :ROFLMAO: I would say the only thing they kept stock on there was the electronics, but looks like that was ripped out too.

Here's a Camburg "long travel" kit for a Tacoma (claims 13")
https://camburg.com/shop/suspension...oyota-tacoma-16-trail-series-long-travel-kit/

Sponsored

4XMORE

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

That sir, in my humble opinion, is not a long tavel kit - that's an almost one of a kind trophy truck in my book :ROFLMAO:

Here's a Camburg "long travel" kit for a Tacoma (claims 13")
https://camburg.com/shop/suspension...oyota-tacoma-16-trail-series-long-travel-kit/

TT... na that would be center mounts with tube frames, but that is a full prerunner build in that example. That kit is really the benchmark for LT kits on Raptors, but you can get the idea of what some of us consider a true LT. I think I the disconnect is your benchmark for LT.

Again a LT kit should have the upper relocated and coil bucket modified for more gain. You’ll see geometry wise that when you do that they’ll like to cycle around 16-18” of usable travel on a stock frame. IMO A mid travel should max out the stock pivot points, usually by going wider for IFS, and usually takes you from 13-16” pending the pivot locations.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
TT... na that would be center mounts with tube frames, but that is a full prerunner build in that example. That kit is really the benchmark for LT kits on Raptors, but you can get the idea of what some of us consider a true LT. I think I the disconnect is your benchmark for LT.

Again a LT kit should have the upper relocated and coil bucket modified for more gain. You’ll see geometry wise that when you do that they’ll like to cycle around 16-18” of usable travel on a stock frame. IMO A mid travel should max out the stock pivot points, usually by going wider for IFS, and usually takes you from 13-16” pending the pivot locations.
Being that the Bronco's closest cousin is the Ranger and that the Ranger has a whole bed for you to move up the shocks into, I find it hard to believe we'll get any better or even match that. Pretty sure FunHaver's Ranger is a benchmark of what you can do sporting 15 front/18 rear... https://www.drivingline.com/articles/2020-ford-ranger-rtr-fun-runner/

4XMORE

First Edition
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Being that the Bronco's closest cousin is the Ranger and that the Ranger has a whole bed for you to move up the shocks into, I find it hard to believe we'll get any better or even match that. Pretty sure FunHaver's Ranger is a benchmark of what you can do sporting 15 front/18 rear... https://www.drivingline.com/articles/2020-ford-ranger-rtr-fun-runner/
The rear is for sure the limiting factor. You’ll see some more mid travel kits about to hit the market for the front of the bronco in the coming months. Everyone’s trying to see what’s the best solution to get the most out of rear. The packaging is tight on the axel, and the question is what can the frame handle.

The bronco raptor gets 13” front and 14” in the rear stock… again I don’t think 13” is a LT kit since that’s a stock offering from the factory now. I think we can find at least a few more in the rear 👍 Heck longer arms with more lift can get ya a few extra inches back there in addition to what ford did.

Matt13

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Bajakits put together a nice video if you havent seen it.

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bajakits put together a nice video if you havent seen it.

That thing looks fun. The before and after shot is pretty cool.

Did anyone else notice the Bajakits manual sway bar disconnect in one of the suspension shots?

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There are a lot of people paying $50k + another $10k+ for a stock bronco. Depends on how you look at things.
Who’s getting a 50k bronco! No matter how I built it I was at 60 haha
Sponsored