Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you sure? Tires looks the same.
Well there’s three things that make me fairly sure one is a regular Badlands and the other is a Sasquatch...
- The wheels
- The flares
- The sidewall height

but without looking at the sidewall, I can’t be absolutely sure ;)
Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, I am not seeing 3” of suspension lift looking at the axle compared to the pan hard bar mount. The photo angles are different but the axle may be an inch lowered relative to the mount in the Bilstein shot, certainly not three though. Only thing I don’t know is if that Bilstein one is a Sasquatch with 315 MTs or a Badlands with 285 MTs.

Either way, the 3” stated yesterday has to include increase in tire radius based on these pics.

The angle of the lower control arm on the Bilstein is much steeper than with the regular suspension.

I still think the rear coilovers are far more exposed than they should be. I'll probably fab up some guards for those before I take it off road.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The top picture (in the factory) is absolutely a standard BL with 33" tires. The bottom (outside) is absolutely sasquatched with 35" tires.
Which pics are you talking about?

The OP's pics, the black shock (bottom) is a Black Diamond with General Grabbers on black steelies. The yellow shock (top/Bilstein) is either a Badlands on optional Badlands wheels and 285 Goodyear Territory MTs or Sasquatch on Sasquatch wheels and 315 Goodyear Territory MTs.

Edit: Never mind - I see / we're back to the stupid loaded down overland concept on 35's looking like there is no gap as a proxy argument.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco's Bilstein suspension vs standard suspension pics Bronco Scalers
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco's Bilstein suspension vs standard suspension pics Bronco Scalers 2

Last edited:

Sponsored

Iron Oxide

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slave 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
But those who do have more dollars than sense will lift and modify, and those great factory hot rod bits will end up on e-bay to be bolted on at a bargain price.
that was my plan as well. I did a mild-ish BB build with the intention of scooping up take-off parts once the high rollers start their aftermarket arms race

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which pics are you talking about?

The OP's pics, the black shock (bottom) is a Black Diamond with General Grabbers on black steelies. The yellow shock (top/Bilstein) is either a Badlands on optional Badlands wheels and 285 Goodyear Territory MTs or Sasquatch on Sasquatch wheels and 315 Goodyear Territory MTs.

Edit: Never mind - I see / we're back to the stupid loaded down overland concept on 35's looking like there is no gap as a proxy argument.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco's Bilstein suspension vs standard suspension pics Bronco Scalers 2
I was referring to the pictures quoted by the poster I was quoting:

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco's Bilstein suspension vs standard suspension pics Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 10.55.01

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This thread went off the rails with ride height, badlands to Sasquatch comparisons, etc.

The question that’s been in alota peoples heads since KOH, is what does the standard suspension feel like moving out across broken ground? I’m not talking about the question regarding capability. A base base Bronco would more than likely get the job done. My Superduty is capable of completing that test drive, but at 20 mph? Im talking about comfort. I don’t need to blast across the desert at 70, but will the standard suspension keep me comfortable at 50?
This means the difference between BD and Basesquatch for me and a lot of other buyers.

UGABronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac CT6, Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There has been much debate about suspension lift with various trims and Sasquatch Package. 10mm to 1.5" to 3" have been mentioned. I did a little analysis of overall height OAH vs tire size to come up with some answers using the Base as a baseline:

Base: OAH=71.9, Diff=0, Due to tire (30")=0, Due to Suspension=0
BB, OBX, BD: OAH=72.9, Diff=1, Due to tire (32")=1, Due to Suspension=0
Non Sas BL: OAH=73.8, Diff=1.9, Due to tire (32.7")=1.35, Due to Suspension=0.55
All Sas: OAH=75.2, Diff=3.3, Due to tire (34.4")=2.2, Due to Suspension=1.10

So my napkin math says BL gets, .55" Suspension lift and Sas gets 1.1" . This gives credence to the rumor there are three suspensions Base (Base, BB, OBX and BD), Badlands non Sas and Sas
I didn't understand the part after "There has been much debate .... "

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Only thing that gives the axle more lift is the tires .the sas gives the body more lift so you can get bigger tires , only thing that really gives a axle a lift is bigger tires
I didn't say anything about an axle lift.

I am talking about where the axle is in the photos in relation to the panhard mount sticking down from the frame. If the suspension is lifted, the panhard mount will be higher than a standard suspension in relation to the axle (as it is in the 4WP photo).

Even though the different photo angles make it hard to tell, there does not look to be an appreciable difference in suspension height over the axle between Bilstein and standard. The calculated 1" or so we've come with from tire diameters and for height specs sure. 3" - nope. 3" would look like the 4WP photo.

Whoever the guy was at the dealer event who swore by 3" was including tire height. If it was 3" of suspension lift, then the height of a Wildtrack would be higher that an Big Bend by 4.2" and according to Ford's own specs it is only 2.3 inches taller. The only model it is 3" higher than is the base by 3.3" including the tire diameter.

So 2.3 inches taller, less 1.2 inches in tire diameter = 1.1" in suspension lift.

Since the Badlands without Squatch is .9 inches taller than a Big Bend and it has .6 inches more tire diameter - the number we need to figure out is what makes the difference between the 1.1" in suspension height increase on the Wildtrack, versus the .3 inches on the Badlands.

Considering a stock Big Bend weighs 4297, a stock Badlands weighs 4705, and a stock Wildtrack weighs 4749 - it is partially in the weight Big Bend to Badlands, but not Badlands to Wildtrack, and if you took a Badlands to Wildtrack motor and transmission specs 4877, it would be heavier and lower thank the equivalent Wildtrack on the same springs.

Net: by the Ford numbers Bilstein doesn't give you a lot of suspension lift. Maybe an inch with Sasquatch and about half an inch less on Badlands.

3" is bullshit on anything but a base if you include tire height as "lift".

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I didn't understand the part after "There has been much debate .... "
Basically different Bronco sit various heights off the ground. Some of this difference is due to tire diameter, some due to varying suspensions. Tire diameter differences are easy enough to calculate. My calculations show that the suspension on a non Sas Badlands is .55" higher than Base and all Sasquatch suspensions are 1.1" higher than Base.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This thread went off the rails with ride height, badlands to Sasquatch comparisons, etc.

The question that’s been in alota peoples heads since KOH, is what does the standard suspension feel like moving out across broken ground? I’m not talking about the question regarding capability. A base base Bronco would more than likely get the job done. My Superduty is capable of completing that test drive, but at 20 mph? Im talking about comfort. I don’t need to blast across the desert at 70, but will the standard suspension keep me comfortable at 50?
This means the difference between BD and Basesquatch for me and a lot of other buyers.
I agree! There are other threads for the endless debate about BL vs. Sasquatch suspension.

I've ordered a BD. I like driving fast off road, but even 50 mph is pushing it with all the ATV, UTV and 4X4s out there now days. I'm planning on upgrading the shocks right away, but hoping that I'll be pleasantly surprised and not have to. Video of a base suspension equipped Bronco would be very helpful.

Last edited:

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Suspension is not identical. You'll need the Sasquatch package to fit 35s on the Badlands from the factory. Or go aftermarket. But if you throw 35s on without it they'll be crammed in those wheel wells like the Badlands Overlanding set up Ford displayed and have no travel.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco's Bilstein suspension vs standard suspension pics Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 10.55.01
Maybe there are two really fat people sleeping in the tent which would compress the stance. Lol