First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey all. Been here a while but this is my first post. I know the struggle between MGV\leather continues for some, so I wanted to post in case it helps anyone. All of the posts here have been a tremendous help for me.

I saw the two red Broncos in St. Louis last week. Both were Badlands, one with MGV and one with leather. My main goal was to affirm my long-standing choice for MGV.

For context I've ordered a Black 4DR Badlands 2.3MT Lux w/ MIC top.

My first impression of the MGV was how great it looked. My second impression was how great it felt. I really liked it a lot, and I felt immediately confident in my decision. I looked at and sat in the leather for a while, and it was fine, but I wasn't sure I even liked it quite as much as the MGV. I was feeling really, really good about the MGV.

Then I got in the driver's seat of the MGV bronco. Had to adjust the seat. Up until this point I'd been firmly in the "you just set it and forget it!" camp of the manual vs. power seats debate. I don't know exactly what it was, but it was some of the clumsiest manual seat adjusting I've experienced. I spent what felt like a minute, while my buddy laughed and commented "dude you have to get the power seats this is not working for you". I never did get it dialed-in to my satisfaction. Especially the height - really hard to get right for me.

I went back to the leather Bronco. Ahh power seat adjustment bliss. The additional "ways" were also really nice. Being able to tilt up/down the front of the seat can make a big difference throughout a road trip. Maybe I've just gotten spoiled, and if so that's fine I'll own it, but that power seat adjust just felt right. I also then realized another reason the manual adjust bothered me - it felt so out of place in the otherwise luxurious and glorious interior of the Bronco. Everything in it is awesome, there's plenty of other reports detailing it. But then manual seat controls? On a $50k+ vehicle? It'd be like if they had manual roll down windows. It was just... wrong.

I moved on to spending more time in and around the Bronco, and in the back seat. Not as big as I imagined, but still fine. I fit, but with little room to spare (6'1 180lbs). I wouldn't want to be back there too long. My kids will be fine. But what stood out more than I'd like to admit - the missing cupholders with the MGV. I was FIRMLY in the "you've got to be kidding me who cares about the cupholders" camp. And I don't necessarily care about the cupholders specifically, but I didn't realize or grasp that it wasn't just the cupholders that were missing, it was the entire fold-down arm rest in between the two backseats. It just isn't there at all on the MGV. Huge deal? No. But another extra touch of "fit & finish" that was missing and felt "off" about the MGV Bronco.

About this time cognitive dissonance started to kick-in and my subconscious resolved it by starting to really appreciate the leather. It was softer (both to the touch, and the cushioning when sitting in it) and more welcoming. Maybe akin to an Eames lounge chair, it just had a maturity to it that grew on me. The MGV is much "tighter" and felt firmer to sit on.

The MGV is great. If I could get it with the power seats, I probably would, because I'd feel a little better about never putting the top on. I was also feeling good about the MGV as it relates to kids and dogs and messes, but people have been cleaning messes out of non-MGV cars for a long time. As for the price difference, I don't really care. I'm getting what I want regardless.

So with all that said. I'm probably switching to leather. I've just been team MGV for so long I'm procrastinating a bit in pulling the trigger. I know my heart wants it. I've updated a few people on my decision and always get the response "really? You'd give up the wash-out for power seats? This is an off-road vehicle!". Yes. I know. But when I'm out on the trails being really tough and rugged, I think I'll be wishing I could get my seat tilted justtttt so. And I'm guessing I'll use the power seats and cupholders much more often than I'd take it topless through a carwash anyway.

EDIT: Following up from some of the comments.

- If I was getting a 2 door, MGV no question. I would not get the leather for leather's sake.
- Both the MGV and the leather had the MOLLE on the backs of the front seats.
- It was not warm outside when I was there so I can't comment on the temperature of MGV vs. leather.
- I couldn't tell what part of the "leather trimmed" seat was leather and what was vinyl. Whatever the vinyl part was, I did not resemble the MGV.
- The vehicle with MGV did not have a middle pull-down armrest. Apparently B&P says it does\will. This vehicle did not.

EDIT 2:

I switched my order to leather. And now back to MGV. Thankfully Granger is very easy to work with. Somehow, even seeing them in person, I missed that the leather added permanently affixed carpeted flooring. When I saw them in person I wasn't paying attention because I didn't know to pay attention to it. They had the rubber mats over all the carpeting so I didn't notice. I was incorrectly imagining that the carpeting that came with the leather was in the form of removable mats. I have no interest in wet carpeting. MGV is now an easy choice for me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I never realized MGV deleted the rear cupholders. Im getting a 2door so i dont have the fold down middle anyway, but thats kind of a bummer for anyone getting MGV 4door

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I prefer manual seats unless you have memory seats....it's nice when I get in my wife's SUV (Escalade) and the seat is already moved for me. Otherwise, if we both drive a vehicle...a power seat is pain...too slow. With manual, being 6'1" my seat position is always slammed to the rear, so I hop in, slam the seat and I'm good. Little adjustments later manually...NBFD. Nothing worse than slow boat changes to power seats before you can even drive if she has been in a car and has the seat all the way forward.

So, power sounds good...but reality is, it really isn't...plus a wash out vehicle is awesome and MGV is probably more durable and is definitely cheaper. MGV all the way.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey all. Been here a while but this is my first post. I know the struggle between MGV\leather continues for some, so I wanted to post in case it helps anyone. All of the posts here have been a tremendous help for me.

I saw the two red Broncos in St. Louis last week. Both were Badlands, one with MGV and one with leather. My main goal was to affirm my long-standing choice for MGV.

For context I've ordered a Black 4DR Badlands 2.3MT Lux w/ MIC top.

My first impression of the MGV was how great it looked. My second impression was how great it felt. I really liked it a lot, and I felt immediately confident in my decision. I looked at and sat in the leather for a while, and it was fine, but I wasn't sure I even liked it quite as much as the MGV. I was feeling really, really good about the MGV.

Then I got in the driver's seat of the MGV bronco. Had to adjust the seat. Up until this point I'd been firmly in the "you just set it and forget it!" camp of the manual vs. power seats debate. I don't know exactly what it was, but it was some of the clumsiest manual seat adjusting I've experienced. I spent what felt like a minute, while my buddy laughed and commented "dude you have to get the power seats this is not working for you". I never did get it dialed-in to my satisfaction. Especially the height - really hard to get right for me.

I went back to the leather Bronco. Ahh power seat adjustment bliss. The additional "ways" were also really nice. Being able to tilt up/down the front of the seat can make a big difference throughout a road trip. Maybe I've just gotten spoiled, and if so that's fine I'll own it, but that power seat adjust just felt right. I also then realized another reason the manual adjust bothered me - it felt so out of place in the otherwise luxurious and glorious interior of the Bronco. Everything in it is awesome, there's plenty of other reports detailing it. But then manual seat controls? On a $50k+ vehicle? It'd be like if they had manual roll down windows. It was just... wrong.

I moved on to spending more time in and around the Bronco, and in the back seat. Not as big as I imagined, but still fine. I fit, but with little room to spare (6'1 180lbs). I wouldn't want to be back there too long. My kids will be fine. But what stood out more than I'd like to admit - the missing cupholders with the MGV. I was FIRMLY in the "you've got to be kidding me who cares about the cupholders" camp. And I don't necessarily care about the cupholders specifically, but I didn't realize or grasp that it wasn't just the cupholders that were missing, it was the entire fold-down arm rest in between the two backseats. It just isn't there at all on the MGV. Huge deal? No. But another extra touch of "fit & finish" that was missing and felt "off" about the MGV Bronco.

About this time cognitive dissonance started to kick-in and my subconscious resolved it by starting to really appreciate the leather. It was softer (both to the touch, and the cushioning when sitting in it) and more welcoming. Maybe akin to an Eames lounge chair, it just had a maturity to it that grew on me. The MGV is much "tighter" and felt firmer to sit on.

The MGV is great. If I could get it with the power seats, I probably would, because I'd feel a little better about never putting the top on. I was also feeling good about the MGV as it relates to kids and dogs and messes, but people have been cleaning messes out of non-MGV cars for a long time. As for the price difference, I don't really care. I'm getting what I want regardless.

So with all that said. I'm probably switching to leather. I've just been team MGV for so long I'm procrastinating a bit in pulling the trigger. I know my heart wants it. I've updated a few people on my decision and always get the response "really? You'd give up the wash-out for power seats? This is an off-road vehicle!". Yes. I know. But when I'm out on the trails being really tough and rugged, I think I'll be wishing I could get my seat tilted justtttt so. And I'm guessing I'll use the power seats and cupholders much more often than I'd take it topless through a carwash anyway.
A very nicely done assessment. I think that your honesty about the materials makes the assessment of the power option and cup holders even more credible. The more I think about it, the power seats and cup holders are an every day practicality that make the overall ownership that much more enjoyable. I understand the frustration of folks who would like both without having to go with leather. Great job.

Sponsored
OP
OP
nottinbe

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First I've heard the interior described as luxurious...
Point taken. Should have maybe had a "* compared to other vehicles I've been in designed to go off-road". Obviously compared to vehicles that compete on luxury, the Bronco is not luxurious.

The 12" screen, the controls, the overall feel of it, all just really nice.

KingWillard

Black Diamond
First Name
Willard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Glad to hear you were so impressed with the MGV. I’m going with it, since I don’t need the power seats and the Black Diamond is more within my budget.

OP
OP
nottinbe

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I prefer manual seats unless you have memory seats....it's nice when I get in my wife's SUV (Escalade) and the seat is already moved for me. Otherwise, if we both drive a vehicle...a power seat is pain...too slow. With manual, being 6'1" my seat position is always slammed to the rear, so I hop in, slam the seat and I'm good. Little adjustments later manually...NBFD. Nothing worse than slow boat changes to power seats before you can even drive if she has been in a car and has the seat all the way forward.
Before I saw them in person I would have 100% agreed. The power seats can be annoying when switching between drivers of vastly different seat positions. I have always liked the fast adjustments of manual seats, and manual seats have never bothered me. I have a vehicle with manual seats, a vehicle with power seats, and a vehicle with memory seats. I'm fine with all of them. Sitting in the two Bronco's, I did not like the manual seats.

Sponsored

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I consider the MGV being tight as a good thing. Over time the leather will wrinkle, sag, and wear a hole where your ass slides in and out. I'm the case of your statement. Set the position once and never move it so power seat does nothing for me. FWIW I sat in those exact same 2 vehicles this weekend in KS.

OP
OP
nottinbe

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Being able to park it with the top off and not worry about rain keeps me in the MGV camp.
And is what put the "Probably" in the title of this post. How bad would that situation be really with leather?

OP
OP
nottinbe

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I consider the MGV being tight as a good thing. Over time the leather will wrinkle, sag, and wear a hole where your ass slides in and out. I'm the case of your statement. Set the position once and never move it so power seat does nothing for me. FWIW I sat in those exact same 2 vehicles this weekend in KS.
Agreed. I meant it as a compliment to the MGV.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm someone that originally went with MGV, switched to leather when my wife found out about the lack of power seats in MGV, and just recently switched back to MGV after showing her firsthand feedback from people recently.

My 2 cents for my decisioning factors to go MGV over leather in my Badlands if it helps anyone:
  • Difference of over $2200
  • Washout interior - leather is not as resilient to water/rain and not as easy to clean as MGV, and you get carpeted floors which are harder to clean
  • Power seats - it's nice to have but I won't adjust much after setting it
  • Leather does not have memory seat function - this makes it much less appealing
  • Cupholders in the middle fold down seat only available with leather - kind of annoying but there are a lot of easy solutions with the molle system and pockets in the doors
I may have been tempted to upgrade to leather if there was a memory seat function but as it stands, you gain minimal (if at all) seating material upgrade and two cupholders in the rear seating, but lose the easy cleanout function. Honestly, I would probably not even do this for $1000, let alone $2200.

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm getting a 2 door badlands. I don't think the leather comes with Power seats in the 2 door right?

So then it just comes down to Leather vs MGV.

I have heard all good things so far on the MGV.
Sponsored