Tailgate Reinforcement for 37's

STYLZ

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Outbanks Sasquatch (4-door)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am going to be doing a 3'' lift soon and while it's in the shop, I was thinking it would be good time to get the tailgate reinforcement done for when I upgrade to 37's in a couple months. I have a OBX SAS, with stock rear bumper. Not sure if I would need a spare tire relocation at the same time for when I get the 37s? I am trying to more or less future proof for that.

I've seen a few different one's out there and wanted to get peoples feedback and recommendations.
Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I donā€™t think there much difference in function between the metal platesā€¦the hinge replacements are strongerā€¦I like the Raptor setup for valueā€¦but I am cheap and went with alliedā€¦may never actually hang a 37ā€ spare back thereā€¦

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hammer built, Turn Offroad and Raptor hinges seem to be the most common talked about when dealing with 37+. There are a slew of other reinforcement brackets out there though.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I run the DV8 Spare tire guard and accessory, along with the TOR Camera/Tire mount. Love my setup. I needed to use the TOR mount because my OEM mount was damaged when I had it off the RIG.

The DV8 is a great setup, and you can even lock the guard around the spare if needed.

Ford Bronco Tailgate Reinforcement for 37's 1715477929021-69

Last edited:

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You would be better off getting a bumper / tire carrier system that gets all that weight off the swing gate while moving the tire up some. $.02 šŸ¤ 

daveness

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Badsquatch, 2018 Sprinter 4x4, 1903 Cad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Turn Offroad has a great tailgate replacement really. The factory tailgate bolts to the Turn Offroad switch gate. It's built strong. It also moves your tire mount up for 37" tires but you still need to extend the 3rd tail light. I'd also look at bumper mount because then you don't have cantilevered weight on the body side. But I believe bumper mount is a whole other cost level.

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I run Hammer Built, no complaints. IMO, best one out there. If youā€™re going to run 37s, get a brace.

Blue Hen

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
I went with Turn Offroad route. Watching their video sealed the deal. The adjustable spare tire mount helps with tucking off set wheels closer to tailgate. As you know when shopping for new tires even 35's the weight increase is minimum 10 to 12 pounds more than the Territory MT.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

TORā€™s completely replaces the hinges and is a different hinge mechanism - the carrier bolts right to a plate on the new hinge and the tailgate bolts up on the other side of the plate; itā€™s a bit more than just a brace; not quite the bumper mount option but a close second. None of the weight is carried by the tailgate, but the weight is still carried by the right side frame mount (where the stock hinge bolts up).

Raptor is a beefier hinge (that also supplies some mounting points), but the carrier still bolts to the tailgate. Mabett has knockoff hinges of this style

Braces just reinforce the existing hinges by providing cross bracing. Hammerbuilt braces are this type, and there are many others. Still uses the OEM hinges and carrier bolts onto the tailgate.

And then the bumper mounts move the carrier to a swing arm on the bumper. So the tailgate no longer sees any of the weight and the weight is moved to wherever the bumper mount has it carried.

The stock setup is rated for 133lbs, so itā€™s no slouch; which is a good reason why many people just go with a cross brace setup.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another vote for @Turn Offroad - I have their tailgate reinforcement bracket for my 35ā€™s and itā€™s great. I recently upgraded my tires and they are significantly heavier than the OEM tires - no issues. This is very well built! They sell an add-on piece for larger tires as well, so everything should work for your needs.

Old picture, before the new tires:

Ford Bronco Tailgate Reinforcement for 37's IMG_5052

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another suggestion for Turn Offroad it is solid. Love that you can raise the spare height which really helps with departure angle running 37s

IMG_4907.jpeg

IMG_3637.jpeg

IMG_4861.jpeg

IMG_4862.jpeg

IMG_3701.jpeg

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)