chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru forester
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
is it a process problem?
for instance, are they heat molded and that alters the black?

as a computer guy, im familiar with rgb, but printing does cmy, does that cause a problem ?
Sponsored

Daytona_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm frustrated also as to why is it so hard to make it black ! ?

Idiosyncratic

Base
First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is a guess on my part based on reviews of the painted black top by people on here who have sent it in person, I think has more to do with the waves/true flatness of the MIC panels.

The darker color along with gloss highlights the imperfections in the panel.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No. In my experience with molded plastics nearly any color is possible. Matching tone can be challenging but possible, however switching the surface texture helps massively. However I’m not familiar with the manufacturing processes for the MIC top.

I’d wager Ford design chose to use a carbonized gray MIC top to differentiate the Bronco from Jeep.

why the other trims were not adjusted to match the gray is a separate question.

I’ve really been struggling with the Gray top. I have an early reservation that I’ve considered canceling. Interior options are also problematic.

I hope Ford offers the MIC top in Black later, I’d buy it in a heartbeat as an aftermarket part.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a guess on my part based on reviews of the painted black top by people on here who have sent it in person, I think has more to do with the waves/true flatness of the MIC panels.

The darker color along with gloss highlights the imperfections in the panel.
Hmm, interesting issue you bring up. I"m in the boat of getting my Wildtrack early and not wait for the Modular Black Top. Instead, I plan to immediately use the savings/discount that Ford is giving us and either have it painted or go the Raptor/Rhino Liner route. If I was to do that in a gloss black (likely), I wonder if those imperfections would be a big issue. Although that sounds like it would be more of an issue going the paint only route. If one goes the Liner route, those "imperfections" are part of the product. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The sheets are heated and sucked down and formed on a die. Any color would work, this is what Ford wants.
Here you go folks. From the guy who knows most about the subject.

Hopefully Ford changes their mind and goes with what most of us want. Satin Black like this

9A7A8CCF-429E-482B-A0D5-09E008E92A95.jpeg

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here you go folks. From the guy who knows most about the subject.

Hopefully Ford changes their mind and goes with what most of us want. Satin Black like this

9A7A8CCF-429E-482B-A0D5-09E008E92A95.jpeg
Yes, please go this route Ford. I hope your team is watching these threads! I am sure there are a few that are okay with the gray MIC but I bet 80% or more want it like this pic. Let's face it, black is very compatible with just about anything.

Matt or satin black is totally fine with me. I may have even picked those over the modular painted gloss black top (if that was even a choice...).
Sponsored