Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve been able to test drive a Badlands and Outer Banks. I will tell you that my wife and I are rethinking some aspects of what we expect from the Bronco.

We found the Badlands with 2.3 to have a rough on road ride, it felt heavy, took longer to stop than I’d prefer, and the step in height was not enjoyable. Based on this I’m writing the Black Diamond off the list as it’s basically just a scaled down version of the Badlands. I realize these are both more “off road” builds but didn’t realize until now just how much that impacts on road manners.

The OBX with 2.7 and leather seemed to coast along pretty smoothly, brakes seemed more responsive, acceleration was effortless. It was pretty fun to drive. Probably suits our needs more as something to drive on the beach a few times each year and a vehicle we can take on road trips where we want to ride around with the top down.

The OBX with 2.3 and cloth felt not as comfortable (seats maybe less cushy?) and the engine felt like I was driving a Wrangler with a 4 cylinder. It was okay but noticeable different vs our experience in the 2.7 engine.

Now I’m a little concerned with the 2.7 quality aspect until I see that the engine seizing issue is just a one time thing.

And the reports of the soft top already showing wear? Come on.

0593798E-A6BC-4207-8219-EB3749194F3A.jpeg
My wife and I landed at exactly the same conclusion you did. The obx with 2.7 is such a balanced and still exciting build

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I am wondering if the "Sport" GOAT mode really plays a role in the acceleration. I have seen reviews where the bronco is 10 seconds 0-60 but when I test drove a BD SAS 2.7, there's no way it is that slow. When I put it in "Sport" mode it made a tremendous difference IMO. I am coming from my 5 speed 05 mustang GT so I am used to some speed/acceleration and the bronco was no slouch when I got on it.
The 10 second 0-60 is on a fat ass 5300Lbs 4 door first edition in the mountains where the airs thin. Middleton squatch did a 0-60 a few times and it came out to around 8 seconds. The problem is the tuning ford put in it. Off the line It’s 2-3 seconds before the turbos spool and it starts to really move. The problem with adjusting the tuning is the 10R60. Ford rated it for 420ish max tq, you can throw a tune intake and exhaust on it but how long will the trans last is my concern.

Mama_Dropt_Me

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Surbaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m curious what the lowest point of your garage opening is. I have a Wildtrak on order and am concerned about it fitting as well.

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Totally agree. Folks buying Badlands or SAS with no plans to use the expensive mechanical bits these models come with :)
Honestly, I'm one of those buyers. I have never been off-roading in my life, yet I have a 2-door Badlands Sasquatch on order.

Blame how Ford packaged the trims. I want the features of Lux and hate the look of the Outer Banks non-Sasquatch. Wildtrack was intriguing but I like the modular steel bumper and wanted the rubberized interior instead of carpet.

If Ford put together the packages differently or made it more a la carte, I think you'd see many fewer Badlands orders.

Sponsored

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly, I'm one of those buyers. I have never been off-roading in my life, yet I have a 2-door Badlands Sasquatch on order.

Blame how Ford packaged the trims. I want the features of Lux and hate the look of the Outer Banks non-Sasquatch. Wildtrack was intriguing but I like the modular steel bumper and wanted the rubberized interior instead of carpet.

If Ford put together the packages differently or made it more a la carte, I think you'd see many fewer Badlands orders.
Understood and good point. Ford did some funky and restrictive packaging for sure!

RogueAce70

Wildtrak
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The wife & I test drove the OB yesterday, has the softtop & I can attest that it was very loud but I had to remind myself that this is an off road vehicle not meant to be a Lux SUV; we are convertible people so we are use to the road noise but it still seems loud. The OB was a 4cyl had a lot of getup & go but the ride itself was not smooth, again its an Off Road vehicle; there will be a group & I’m sure it will be a large group that will not keep their purchase once they get them & drive them for a bit. As for me I can’t wait until I get my WT, this will be the 3rd Bronco I’ve owned.

Winkydee

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Econoline Cargo Van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would have had a Black Diamond with the Lux package, but I think I will like my BL 2dr MT 2.3L.

KDR_83

Badlands
First Name
Krystian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not sure that’s all of us. I have a new JLUR that I bought while I wait for the MOD top and I love it. I thought when I test drove the Bronco I would be blown away and I wasn’t. I think, and I know I will get flamed for this, but the JLUR has a better over all interior.

I also feel like Ford made the ride so nice that it takes away from some of the fun of driving an off-road vehicle. Don’t get me wrong, it drives incredibly well, but I just enjoy the JLUR more.

I have a caveat though. I have driven a 2019 JLUS and it was awful, interior, and road feel. That said, Jeep fixed some of the steering issues in 2021, and the rubicon trim is not standard across the board in the Jeep’s. So I can see why a lot of people are saying how much better it is than older, lower trim JLs, I just think it’s not quite as amazing when compared to a loaded out 2021 JLUR.

edit:

There are features in the Bronco that I still want over the Jeep. The badlands MGV and washout floors. I agree with the other posters who have said the very nature of the Bronco’s utilitarian interior make it more likely that I will use it without worry.

F5B24D14-7328-4907-9658-5F26EF7D83BC.jpeg

95467156-5526-4156-A843-4B1455106D79.jpeg
Agree but maybe I'm bias as I have a rubicon gladiator with leather, the Jeeps interior materials felt more premium but I currently do have a badlands on order for the same reasons as you mentioned. I liked the feel of the mgv but the dash, center console, area around the window switches, etc feels like the same plastic used on a cheap sub $15K economy car.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I agree, I really didn't even want the OBX, but in the end, it was the build that made the most sense.

All I initially was trying to get was a base 2 door 2.7 manual transmission sasquatch with adaptive cruise control. I really wanted minimum weight and maximum torque. Well, that wasn't a possibility, not even close. I also didn't want vinyl seats, but could/might have endured it, had I seen them in person first.

The lowest trim that had adaptive cruise control was the OBX. I certainly didn't want the B&O sound system. Since the 2.7 isn't available with a manual, the OBX mandatory mall-crawler automatic was no longer a deal breaker. I also wanted the advanced 4x4 transfer case, but really didn't want 35's. The front locker would have been nice to have but not a deal breaker. I don't think that I will need the sway bar disconnect (although it was cool). However, those wheels on the OBX are horrible!!!

Looking back on it, I might have still been better off with a 2 Door 2.3 MT Badlands non-sasquatch with the high or lux package, but I already have a VIN.

Sponsored

BadlandsCable

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After seeing you mentioned Camelback Ford, I headed over there after church this morning. I have a 2 door badlands on order with Sasquatch and if I ended up with this Wildtrack I would not be disappointed at all. Drove awesome and I thought power was great. My wife sat in the back and thought noise level was fine on street or highway and AC worked great. We are in Phoenix Arizona so a pretty good test for the AC and how well it works with even the soft top. I’m a first night reservations and still waiting to get confirmation and vin for my build and after the test drive it confirmed my waiting will be worth it. I can not wait to get my 2 dr Badlands lux Sasquatch. Headed to Nevada off-roadeo here in a couple weeks.

F975C5BD-A112-4990-A1D7-BDF6E923B733.jpeg

OP
OP
Bituman

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Awlthumz

Badlands
First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I came to the realization that this was a “toy” a long time ago. Still hoping the 2023 doesn’t disappoint in that endeavor.
Sponsored