First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That’s exactly why I pursued the test drive. I realized that I was going to have to re-order in a couple months for MY22. Like you, I have never purchased a vehicle without at least a test drive and figured I’d need to do that.
Why do you have to reorder?
Sponsored

Dutchballs88

Badlands
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think you should at least sit in a 2 door. I found it much roomier than the 4 door. I believe because the pillar is a little farther back.
Maybe a 2023 for the 2d right now I’ll be hauling kids n wife in addition to the weekend adventures.

Dutchballs88

Badlands
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, your post really resonated with me, with the exception that I have no specific clue when my WT will finally show up! I first saw a 6G Bronco at Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale a few months back and I was like “holy cow, that truck rocks!” But when I finally got to sit in one this morning and drive it, it was more like you say “meh”. It’s like an 8 out of 10 and I was expecting a 12. I bought the 4Runner in 2017 as a temporary vehicle until the Bronco showed up. Sometimes I wonder why I’m selling the 4Runner.
“8 out 10 and I was expecting a 12” this sums up my test drive experience perfectly. I have rented a Jeep 3x and my 88 Bronco has been gone almost 20 years. So initially I was comparing it to a luxury suv. For what it is, I will have lots of fun with it. It’s just Ford has made this a horrible process I’m out of excitement or expectation until I drive it home take the top and doors off and blast the sounds. I have been contemplating 35”s

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Actually, I may have mischaracterized my observation “off the line”. It wasn’t so much slow as not smooth. Not sure exactly how to describe what I felt.
Probably the typical Ford 10-speed tranny which tends to upshift far too aggressively, keeping you out of the power band. Sport mode will hold the gears longer.

I of course, have a much better solution. I ordered one with three pedals.

Sponsored

kellyweiss

Heritage
First Name
Mr. Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
”Frameless window drop”! I couldn’t figure out what to call it. I had a 1990 Porsche 911 Cab, of course, with frameless windows. Of all the crap and BS on that car (no cup holder!), the one thing that worked well was the window seals. They didn’t execute that drop to seal. They also didn’t leak. Hard to believe Ford couldn’t come up with a better design element. I’ve rented a few Mustangs over the years and I can’t remember them doing that.
I agree: "Hard to believe FORD couldn't come up with a better design element. Just a mention: MUSTANG . . . . . and, MIATA - i.e., door windows frameless -no leak; no drop; no problems.

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
I finally got to drive a 2 door outerbanks 2.3 auto today. Truck more than met my expectations as I previously owned a 2 door JK for 5 years. For those complaining about the noise and quality of ride compared to other SUVs I think you are in the wrong market. If you want a quiet lux SUV there are plenty of those on the market. The Bronco was never made to be a direct market competitor with those vehicles just like the wrangler doesn't compete in that market. If you want a off road Jeep killer with Lexus or Mercedes interior and refinement, the Bronco was never going to be that. It was designed first as an off road vehicle not a soccer mom SUV.

As far as my drive today the Bronco was exactly was I expected it was going to be. On road it is a vastly better driving experience than a Wrangler. Front end is pretty soft and weight transfer is what I expected given the suspension set up for the vehicle. Still miles ahead of Wrangler on the street. I got a chance to take it over a washboard gravel road and was extremely impressed with how it soaked up the bumps at over 60 mph (dealer let me take it out by myself so I pushed it pretty hard). This drive so much better on road and off road than my Ranger. There was wind noise with the hard top but the dealer didn't put the top back on correctly after they had if off the day before. Noise was what I was expecting with a removable top vehicle. This is never going to as quiet as a standard SUV. IT HAS A PLASTIC TOP!!!!!

Was getting pretty frustrated waiting for my build but now I am glad I have stuck this out. I wanted a vehicle that drove more like a truck/off roader than a grocery getter and this is exactly what Ford made. If you want high end materials and quiet ride the Land Rover Defender is out and sitting on lots to buy. There are 2 in the Omaha area for sale. One at around $70k and the other at $100k. I sure these will meet the needs of those with more discerning tastes.
Do you know if it had the 4.27s with the rear locker or the open 3.73? Im wondering how the 2.3/auto/3.73s feel with the 32s.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This morning I test drove a WT at the dealer that I have a reservation at. Had an order but 99ed it to get a MY22. After this ~12 mile test drive, mostly freeway and city streets, I’m questioning whether I want to continue with a Bronco purchase. This coming from someone that owned Broncos from 1989 through 2017. There is nothing particularly wrong with the new Bronco. But driving it caused me to understand more clearly that Ford’s target was a better execution of a Jeep Wrangler. With the Bronco, they succeeded brilliantly at that. Maybe I’ll end up with a Bronco in 22 or 23, I’m just not as enthusiastic as I had been. Here are some test drive observations.

One thing I wanted to do was make sure a WT would fit in my garage. I had done all kinds of measurements using data from this site and for sure, the WT fit. That was not a surprise, but great to validate my research. My wife‘s car is missing, but it would easily fit too. No clearance problems either. Easily another 5.5-6 inches of overhead clearance.

When I first sat in the driver’s seat I was amazed at how much looking out the windshield reminded me of an EB. The raised edges of the hood are very reminiscent of an EB. Very thoughtful design feature from Ford.

One bad thing is the window fit. As everyone knows, without a frame the window must come down just a little to open and close the door. So long as you open the door slowly, all is well. But if you open the door quickly, the window hangs up a little on the molding and sort of vibrates back and forth. I seem to recall others here mention that. I’m not sure this hurts anything, it’s just not something I had thought much about.

Of course, this was a soft top. I was surprised at how noisy the Bronco is. I have seen posts claiming that the soft top was fairly quiet. I suppose this is subjective, but I thought the noise was excessive. Maybe the more aggressive tires were at fault. I have had two soft tops (see my avatar for one and an old P911-C4 for another) so I am used to a soft top. I honestly think my 74 EB with a BC Broncos safari top was slightly quieter. I mentioned this to the dealer sales manager and he said he was surprised because his soft top OB was really quiet. He claimed that the OB had sound deadening within the body. I had never heard that. Obviously I think a MIC top, particularly with the headliner, would quiet things down a little. I had planned on a color matching modular top which would also probably be quieter. By the way, the sales manager confirmed to me that the color matching top would be MY23, even though as recently as March it was listed at a MY22 option. Crap…

As has been opined by others on this site, the dash was a somewhat underwhelming. The plastic just seemed cheap. By the way, this was a Mid trim level, yet I don’t think Lux (which is what I ordered) would be any different. My personal car is a 2017 4Runner Limited and my work vehicle that gets most miles is a 2015 Tundra SR5. I would say the Tundra’s interior is pretty pedestrian, but the quality of the plastic and overall quality is noticeably better than the Bronco. The 4Runner interior is way superior. This is when I reminded myself that Ford wasn‘t trying to create something fancy, but just something overall better than a Wrangler. Again, I think they have done that in spades.

The engine was adequate. I have to admit that I drive with a bit of a heavy foot, but the Bronco seemed a bit slow off the line. From about 20 mph up, it performed very good. The transmission was smooth. I couldn’t feel the shifts. I was hoping the engine performance would be noticeably better than the 4Runner. I think it was better, but not by as much as I had hoped. Actually, I have to admit that I forgot to try the sport mode. That may have improved the engine performance a bit and I’m kicking myself for forgetting that.

I really did like the handling of the Bronco. It’s turning radius is superb. The SAS on the WT really smooths out rough pavements. I drove over a pavement that had been trenched and patched for a water line and it was smooth sailing over that bumpy pavement. I think this was the most favorable thing about the Bronco. The brakes were great, although there was an audible squeak at times.

In summary, I think the Bronco is a great execution of an off road vehicle for the masses. For sure it will take a big bite out of Wrangler sales. But for me I would give up a bit of the fancy off road stuff for a quieter, better fit and finish interior vehicle more like the 4Runner or some of the high end trucks on the market. My off roading needs are mostly rough forest service roads and snowy roads in AZ higher elevations. I guess I’m re-evaluating what I really need. This vehicle is my present to myself as I head into retirement. I still may end up with a Bronco. But I’m beginning to think I might need to give a nice F-150 or F-250 a look and build myself another EB to satisfy my almost life long Bronco addiction.

EBD3ECB7-8629-441B-8907-0A15C38CEC8D.jpeg

37815539-6C11-4AAE-87D3-EF8361EFC1B2.jpeg

FA321078-8DFD-4120-B7DC-6604B2CADC1D.jpeg
So in summery, Ford didn’t spend enough on materials for the interior…
So you are either saying you would have liked it more if the Bronco cost more or wasn’t as technology equipped or capable, which fits your desire best? ( in summery) 🙂🐴🐴🥌

kellyweiss

Heritage
First Name
Mr. Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
One point I haven't heard expressed here is that a lot of people are comparing it to an old Bronco, or one they have had. I had a new '90 and a '92 Bronco, both Eddie Bauer trim level, and the interior was cheap and crappy. Plastic switches in rectangular plastic rings. That cheap sort of velvet seat material. Look again at those trucks interior.That center console. (I turned mine into a cooler.) But I LOVED those Broncos. They were trucks. And performed well. I could have cared less about the interior, it was fine. I used it hard for hunting and camping and family trips. They were champs. My '88 Land Cruiser wasn't even close. Even our hunting dogs bashed it up no problem. The New Bronco, I test drove a couple of them, the interior is ok. I think is fine for a truck. And I'll bash my new Bronco, a truck, too.
I agree . . . . EB used hard for hunting/camping and family trips. And, I don't think I'll be pursuing anything to do with "wraps" or investing in PPF: After all, Its intended primarily to be an off-road "to-be-used" type vehicle, not a museum piece.

Patterson-Gimlin film of a Sasquatch.gif

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lol, I think your purchasing power and mine are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I think the closest I could come to buying a Ferrari is if found a bumper in a junkyard. No, hate from me though, would love to be able to afford something like that.
It was less than my Bronco. I paid $47k for it in 2012. I guess that if you account for inflation, it was marginally more expensive than my Bronco ($48k). It is the maintenance that is prohibitive, unless you do all your own work, which I do. I am not wealthy, just divorced, nearly the same thing as being wealthy. ;)

Last edited:

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This morning I test drove a WT at the dealer that I have a reservation at. Had an order but 99ed it to get a MY22. After this ~12 mile test drive, mostly freeway and city streets, I’m questioning whether I want to continue with a Bronco purchase. This coming from someone that owned Broncos from 1989 through 2017. There is nothing particularly wrong with the new Bronco. But driving it caused me to understand more clearly that Ford’s target was a better execution of a Jeep Wrangler. With the Bronco, they succeeded brilliantly at that. Maybe I’ll end up with a Bronco in 22 or 23, I’m just not as enthusiastic as I had been. Here are some test drive observations.

One thing I wanted to do was make sure a WT would fit in my garage. I had done all kinds of measurements using data from this site and for sure, the WT fit. That was not a surprise, but great to validate my research. My wife‘s car is missing, but it would easily fit too. No clearance problems either. Easily another 5.5-6 inches of overhead clearance.

When I first sat in the driver’s seat I was amazed at how much looking out the windshield reminded me of an EB. The raised edges of the hood are very reminiscent of an EB. Very thoughtful design feature from Ford.

One bad thing is the window fit. As everyone knows, without a frame the window must come down just a little to open and close the door. So long as you open the door slowly, all is well. But if you open the door quickly, the window hangs up a little on the molding and sort of vibrates back and forth. I seem to recall others here mention that. I’m not sure this hurts anything, it’s just not something I had thought much about.

Of course, this was a soft top. I was surprised at how noisy the Bronco is. I have seen posts claiming that the soft top was fairly quiet. I suppose this is subjective, but I thought the noise was excessive. Maybe the more aggressive tires were at fault. I have had two soft tops (see my avatar for one and an old P911-C4 for another) so I am used to a soft top. I honestly think my 74 EB with a BC Broncos safari top was slightly quieter. I mentioned this to the dealer sales manager and he said he was surprised because his soft top OB was really quiet. He claimed that the OB had sound deadening within the body. I had never heard that. Obviously I think a MIC top, particularly with the headliner, would quiet things down a little. I had planned on a color matching modular top which would also probably be quieter. By the way, the sales manager confirmed to me that the color matching top would be MY23, even though as recently as March it was listed at a MY22 option. Crap…

As has been opined by others on this site, the dash was a somewhat underwhelming. The plastic just seemed cheap. By the way, this was a Mid trim level, yet I don’t think Lux (which is what I ordered) would be any different. My personal car is a 2017 4Runner Limited and my work vehicle that gets most miles is a 2015 Tundra SR5. I would say the Tundra’s interior is pretty pedestrian, but the quality of the plastic and overall quality is noticeably better than the Bronco. The 4Runner interior is way superior. This is when I reminded myself that Ford wasn‘t trying to create something fancy, but just something overall better than a Wrangler. Again, I think they have done that in spades.

The engine was adequate. I have to admit that I drive with a bit of a heavy foot, but the Bronco seemed a bit slow off the line. From about 20 mph up, it performed very good. The transmission was smooth. I couldn’t feel the shifts. I was hoping the engine performance would be noticeably better than the 4Runner. I think it was better, but not by as much as I had hoped. Actually, I have to admit that I forgot to try the sport mode. That may have improved the engine performance a bit and I’m kicking myself for forgetting that.

I really did like the handling of the Bronco. It’s turning radius is superb. The SAS on the WT really smooths out rough pavements. I drove over a pavement that had been trenched and patched for a water line and it was smooth sailing over that bumpy pavement. I think this was the most favorable thing about the Bronco. The brakes were great, although there was an audible squeak at times.

In summary, I think the Bronco is a great execution of an off road vehicle for the masses. For sure it will take a big bite out of Wrangler sales. But for me I would give up a bit of the fancy off road stuff for a quieter, better fit and finish interior vehicle more like the 4Runner or some of the high end trucks on the market. My off roading needs are mostly rough forest service roads and snowy roads in AZ higher elevations. I guess I’m re-evaluating what I really need. This vehicle is my present to myself as I head into retirement. I still may end up with a Bronco. But I’m beginning to think I might need to give a nice F-150 or F-250 a look and build myself another EB to satisfy my almost life long Bronco addiction.

Ford Bronco Test Drive Causing Me to Re-evaluate Patterson-Gimlin film of a Sasquatch

Ford Bronco Test Drive Causing Me to Re-evaluate Patterson-Gimlin film of a Sasquatch

The high pack (and Lux) have added sound deadening... And for sure the hard too would be quieter...
Nothing personal, but I really wish people would stop saying SAS for Sasquatch! In the modified offroad community, it stands for solid axle swap! It's taken root now... Oh well
But if someone actually verbally says "SAS" to me in reference to Sasquatch, I might slap them in the mouth. Lol
That's for your insights 👍🏻

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why do you have to reorder?
For all of us who don’t receive our Bronco as a MY21, when production/ordering changes to MY22, we’ll likely need to resubmit our order with the MY22 options… basically the ordering system won’t allow an open MY21 order when that production has stopped.

(Same way you can’t walk into a Ford dealer and order a brand new 2019 F150)

It’s not bad though, as your reservation timestamp will carry through. (And if you reserved before March you’ll have MSRP price protection)

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A very honest review Bob. The last thing one would want to do is too be driving down the road, after retirement, thinking "Oh no, I bought the wrong vehicle". While we all should realize that reviews/opinions are subjective, it's always good to hear all sides of the issue. As stated I have never bought a vehicle that I couldn't test drive, so I'm just hoping the Bronco checks all the boxes. But, if it doesn't I think the pre owned market for the Bronco will be strong enough that I won't lose a lot, or any money by selling. Good luck on your decision.

Last edited:

Heelabaloo

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester, Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ll never understand why the Americans can’t figure out interior plastics like the Japanese and Germans have. It’s just embarrassing.
Spot on. I’ve been underwhelmed by the interior design since the reveal. Lots of plastic, lack of a black interior option, camo print on an $50K model, color striping inside that is model dependent and can’t be optioned, exterior paint color showing inside and clashing with the interior colors. I get that this isn’t a luxury vehicle but neither is my 2019 $30K Forester and the Forester’s interior blows this away. I think that the Toyota FJ interior was much more appealing for a truck like this. Ford could do better.

Thanks for starting this thread @Bituman. Great observations and discussion. We’re in a similar place, I’m closing in on retirement and looking for a keeper that will be enjoyable for a good while. I’m also 99’d and planning on test driving one at my local dealer soon and will keep all of this in mind.
Sponsored