Sponsored

Test Drove 2.3L Ranger & 2.7L in F150 and was disappointed... Options to improve off the line?

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Next we can complain about the poor slalom performance of the Bronco.... ugh.
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks. Looks like the dongle is about $35 on Amazon. I'll look into it for sure.
Possibly. There were comments by Ford with the launch of Bronco that they are locking down the ECU further. If tuners can't access forscan, it's unlikely that users will be able to alter too much with changes made by Ford.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As far as 2.7 power opinions I'll add mine.

My truck is the lightest version of F150 possible (~4,300lbs), reg cab 4x2 with 3.73 gears. With Sport mode on it is quite fast and entertaining. Rides like a buckboard with the F150 springs so probably need new kidneys pretty soon.. but very fun to drive power wise. Easily light up rear wheels with T/C off.

I am thinking the acceleration of the 2.7 2-door with top and doors off will surprise people. Especially since the Bronco has pretty low gearing.

If you want a great sleeper get a 2.7 Squatch with 4.7 gears, slap some light 30" wheels/tires, take off top and doors, put it in 4H with both lockers on in sport/baja mode and go muscle car hunting at stoplights. Should shoot off the line better than most.

Just steer clear of TrackHawks and Tesla's. Anything 2wd, even with more power, may struggle to put it to the ground on the street.

5-star is getting up to 500HP from the 2.7 apparently. Tune it to that and it will be a riot.

Not that the Bronco is a "fast" car but if it accelerates fast.. why not enjoy it?

Last edited:

Sponsored

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Also just add that the auto start/stop is the worst. First button I hit in my F150 with 2.7 and A10. Luckily it is as easy as turning the radio on and off.

I was waiting to turn left across 3 lanes of a busy street and it decided to auto stop just before I hit the gas to shoot a gap of oncoming cars. Then it decides to start and lurch. Scary

The worst feature ever invented.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also just add that the auto start/stop is the worst. First button I hit in my F150 with 2.7 and A10. Luckily it is as easy as turning the radio on and off.

I was waiting to turn left across 3 lanes of a busy street and it decided to auto stop just before I hit the gas to shoot a gap of oncoming cars. Then it decides to start and lurch. Scary

The worst feature ever invented.
Exactly, that feature turned on can actually be dangerous when you need to get out and go. That was probably the main reason I was feeling let down from a dead spot. That brief second of the engine not running is noticeable.

What is really strange is I bet you are saving basically no gas with normal driving with that on. Plus more wear and tear on the engine, starter, etc. Just a bad idea for ICE vehicles.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mandatory reading for all those Bronco folks who ditched the sports car for their sports-off-road-on-road-race machines:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/05/maximum-street-speed-explained-part-iii/
Yep, been to Tail of the Dragon a couple of times. Luckily it's not to far of a drive to get there and back, although I usually make it an overnight trip. One of the biggest, craziest, drives you can take if your doing it as an enthusiast. Probably even better than driving on the autobahn, which are really two different experiences.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Exactly, that feature turned on can actually be dangerous when you need to get out and go. That was probably the main reason I was feeling let down from a dead spot. That brief second of the engine not running is noticeable.

What is really strange is I bet you are saving basically no gas with normal driving with that on. Plus more wear and tear on the engine, starter, etc. Just a bad idea for ICE vehicles.
Luckily there are multiple ways you can disable that system.
Sponsored