Cactus Jack

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Evidently, Warthog was not chosen because they thought people wouldn’t understand the meaning.

I’m my opinion, this was a mistake on Ford’s part. Warthog was the way to go and would be the beginning of a new icon for the Bronco brand. Instead, they are tethering Bronco back to parent brand Ford.

At this point, the only thing I could see happening is Ford calling the 37” package the, “Warthog Package”.

It would result in people just referring to 37” Broncos as Warthogs. Kind of like how Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel is just referred to as a Cummins. Or a Mustang GT is referred to as a 5.0.

The package/option transcends the original name of the product. I’m sure you guys can think of several other examples.

Why The “Raptor” Won Out Over “Warthog” For The High-Performance Bronco
Although I’m sure no one minds what it’s called so long as it’s good, for a long time, it looked like Ford might confer the title “Warthog” on its high-performance Bronco instead of “Raptor.”​
Indeed, the automaker went through the trouble of filing a patent application for the name and even put some references to the name in its camouflage. And yet, after all that, Ford decided to borrow the F-150’s Raptor designation.​
In the end, Mark Grueber, marketing manager for the Ford Bronco, told Muscle Cars & Trucks that it was that familiarity that made the decision.​
“People have a general sense of what a Raptor is,” said Grueber. “There’s a ton of equity in the Raptor name now that it’s been out in the marketplace a dozen years, and I think it’s easily understood what that brand means. And that’s what is most important. It was developed and intended to be a Raptor.”​
Indeed, the truck’s success took the world by storm, leading to competitors like the Ram 1500 TRX. Now in its third generation, the F-150 Raptor is a well-established brand with plenty of cachet.​
“I do think it’s a unique time in the automotive space right now,” Grueber said. “My first exposure was as the F-150 brand manager, and I helped launch the original Raptor… nobody saw it coming, and when it came you couldn’t get it for years.”​
The Warthog name, on the other hand, has some pretty strong connotations that aren’t necessarily related to Ford. The “Warthog,” of course, is the name of the military troop vehicle in the Halo series.​
It’s also the name of a warplane used by the U.S. Air Force. Indeed, hidden in the Bronco Raptor’s camouflage is the term “BRRRT,” seemingly a reference to a meme that, according to Know Your Meme, attempts to imitate the sound plane’s guns. Since that meme directly references the taking of human lives, its use could be considered to be in bad taste by many, including this writer.​
Sponsored

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love the A-10, a truly badass plane. But I swear to god it seems like real warthogs are just an appetizer for lions

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The explanation put forth makes zero sense. Ford apparently didn’t see any customer confusion when they named the electric SUV the Mustang Mach E. Ford should have named their electric SUV the “ Mercury”, and left Mach well enough alone.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going to say something controversial, the Raptor grill is gaudy and unattactive. Ford is idiotic for copying that onto the Bronco.
You nailed it. The FORD grill on a Bronco not only is ridiculous, but it does look hideous. The only thing more silly is applying the name Raptor to the Bronco on steroids.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They should have stuck with "Warthog" for the Bronco brand. Kinda lame to ride Raptor's coattails.

IMO the WT is already Raptor-ish and would have been a better fit for a "Raptor" version or upgrade rather than a completely different model.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm going to say something controversial, the Raptor grill is gaudy and unattactive. Ford is idiotic for copying that onto the Bronco.
I think this is a case where the Execs (who care for the Ford name above all) supercede the designers (who care for the Bronco legacy).

Too much meddling. Let's see how it works out for em

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You nailed it. The FORD grill on a Bronco not only is ridiculous, but it does look hideous. The only thing more silly is applying the name Raptor to the Bronco on steroids.
I agree with you on this. With that said look at the new 2022 TRD Pro Tundra and that takes hideous to a new level lol hopefully Ford doesn't follow that awful trend.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While I'd never buy either, I always thought the warthog name was silly, I guess you'd have had to buy that thing as is, warts and all 🙃

Raptor seems better fitting for a souped up what ever model, to me at least. Not that it matters.

Sponsored

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They should have stuck with "Warthog" for the Bronco brand. Kinda lame to ride Raptor's coattails.

IMO the WT is already Raptor-ish and would have been a better fit for a "Raptor" version or upgrade rather than a completely different model.
Raptor-ish? they would've had to name it the kinda sorta raptor then

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Or also, it was just a codename all along. Just like the 5.2 codename was voodoo... I swear, even when ford said it wasn't going to be named warthog people on here still SWORE it would be....
Ford planned this probably before the bronco was even unveiled. It's all branding, and raptor is apparently the extreme off road brand. People already know the raptor as the extreme take it to the limit version of the F150.
Frankly, I don't see whats to love about a warthog like Pumbaa over a killer dinosaur like a raptor. If they really wanted a stand out name, they would've called it the Baja racer or something akin to the OG Baja Bronco by stroppe.
That said, I don't like the braptor, it just doesn't do enough for me to want it over any of the already offered trims.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
everyone can throw in their 2 cents here, and the people on the internet love to know more than everyone else just because they think that way... but I'm sure Ford did plenty of focus groups, market research, blah blah blah and landed on what they landed on, because that's what the majority of the people wanted.

I know this forum may disagree, but the people that work at Ford aren't idiots. In fact, they're probably all graduates from some of the best schools this country has to offer.

plus they've could've called it 'pile of poop' and people would've still bought it within seconds. 😂

soupcook

Outer Banks
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger and 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Evidently, Warthog was not chosen because they thought people wouldn’t understand the meaning.

I’m my opinion, this was a mistake on Ford’s part. Warthog was the way to go and would be the beginning of a new icon for the Bronco brand. Instead, they are tethering Bronco back to parent brand Ford.

At this point, the only thing I could see happening is Ford calling the 37” package the, “Warthog Package”.

It would result in people just referring to 37” Broncos as Warthogs. Kind of like how Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel is just referred to as a Cummins. Or a Mustang GT is referred to as a 5.0.

The package/option transcends the original name of the product. I’m sure you guys can think of several other examples.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/12/w...-warthog-for-the-high-performance-bronco/amp/
Warthogs are in Africa...Javelina would be American west...

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That article was incorrect. The Warthog name came from the vehicle in Halo. If you don't know what that is then you're old. Go back to playing checkers.

warthog-1.jpg
Sponsored