Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Same with guns.

We used to have cool names like Detective Special, Combat Magnum, Police Positive, Highway Patrolman, Python, Anaconda, Deerslayer, Stakeout, Bren 10...

Now it's all soyboy number+letter designations.
Are you telling me you wouldn't buy a hi-point Yeet Cannon?

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since that meme directly references the taking of human lives, its use could be considered to be in bad taste by many, including this writer.
The author of the article can go suck an egg. Warthog - BRRRRRRT! - FREEDOM!

bajabronco57

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Using Raptor instead of Warthog just proves that @Ford Motor Company the Marketing Department are CLUELESS in how to select people for a marketing study for such an iconic vehicle.

@Ford Motor Company have said that they are wanting F-Series, Mustang & Bronco Vehicle Lines or Families of vehicles so to say, so why overlap a Sub-Set Name between them???

F-Series -> Raptor, Lighting, King Ranch......
Mustang Series -> Cobra, King Cobra, King Snake, GT, Bullet..... and a few others...
Bronco Series -> Warthog

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Using Raptor instead of Warthog just proves that @Ford Motor Company the Marketing Department are CLUELESS in how to select people for a marketing study for such an iconic vehicle.

@Ford Motor Company have said that they are wanting F-Series, Mustang & Bronco Vehicle Lines or Families of vehicles so to say, so why overlap a Sub-Set Name between them???

F-Series -> Raptor, Lighting, King Ranch......
Mustang Series -> Cobra, King Cobra, King Snake, GT, Bullet..... and a few others...
Bronco Series -> Warthog
If we have learned one thing from watching Ford marketing in this pre and post launch for the last two years, they are clueless on many things, but then again, we know the reason why...

Ford Bronco The reason Bronco “Raptor” won out over "Warthog" 1639660869438

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Old news. Folks at Ford said this month's ago saying no one would recognize the name hence they didn't like it. Unsure as to why it's on the front page of this site again

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good thing folks don’t know about the OV-10 Bronco

They be all upset about their trucks being named for a Recon/Light Attack bird instead of a real deal Attack or Fighter.

Ford Bronco The reason Bronco “Raptor” won out over "Warthog" 4CAF9047-9B56-482D-81B3-2BA8CFBACEC1
Ford Bronco The reason Bronco “Raptor” won out over "Warthog" 8EBD1D58-2714-4A4F-B27C-F40E81952323

Last edited:

VegasJason

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley 04 FLHRSI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Evidently, Warthog was not chosen because they thought people wouldn’t understand the meaning.

I’m my opinion, this was a mistake on Ford’s part. Warthog was the way to go and would be the beginning of a new icon for the Bronco brand. Instead, they are tethering Bronco back to parent brand Ford.

At this point, the only thing I could see happening is Ford calling the 37” package the, “Warthog Package”.

It would result in people just referring to 37” Broncos as Warthogs. Kind of like how Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel is just referred to as a Cummins. Or a Mustang GT is referred to as a 5.0.

The package/option transcends the original name of the product. I’m sure you guys can think of several other examples.

Why The “Raptor” Won Out Over “Warthog” For The High-Performance Bronco
Although I’m sure no one minds what it’s called so long as it’s good, for a long time, it looked like Ford might confer the title “Warthog” on its high-performance Bronco instead of “Raptor.”​
Indeed, the automaker went through the trouble of filing a patent application for the name and even put some references to the name in its camouflage. And yet, after all that, Ford decided to borrow the F-150’s Raptor designation.​
In the end, Mark Grueber, marketing manager for the Ford Bronco, told Muscle Cars & Trucks that it was that familiarity that made the decision.​
“People have a general sense of what a Raptor is,” said Grueber. “There’s a ton of equity in the Raptor name now that it’s been out in the marketplace a dozen years, and I think it’s easily understood what that brand means. And that’s what is most important. It was developed and intended to be a Raptor.”​
Indeed, the truck’s success took the world by storm, leading to competitors like the Ram 1500 TRX. Now in its third generation, the F-150 Raptor is a well-established brand with plenty of cachet.​
“I do think it’s a unique time in the automotive space right now,” Grueber said. “My first exposure was as the F-150 brand manager, and I helped launch the original Raptor… nobody saw it coming, and when it came you couldn’t get it for years.”​
The Warthog name, on the other hand, has some pretty strong connotations that aren’t necessarily related to Ford. The “Warthog,” of course, is the name of the military troop vehicle in the Halo series.​
It’s also the name of a warplane used by the U.S. Air Force. Indeed, hidden in the Bronco Raptor’s camouflage is the term “BRRRT,” seemingly a reference to a meme that, according to Know Your Meme, attempts to imitate the sound plane’s guns. Since that meme directly references the taking of human lives, its use could be considered to be in bad taste by many, including this writer.​
This is another example of design review by democracy killing good ideas. We in the industry as designers and marketers come up with killer ideas, that are fully thought out from concept to execution. Only to get axed in the back room by a team of execs around a table that look at data points, and brand recognition numbers to determine the outcome of the design.
This is where data infects data execution. And overall lack of willingness to create a new stronger brand, you attach it to an already established brand, in which you inevitably water down the meaning of the former establishment.

Sponsored

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2004 Mustang GT, 2021 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish they would have stuck with the Warthog name as it's unique and tough, but I get why Raptor won out. It's a brand in it's own and carries some cache. Everyone in the truck world knows what a "Raptor" is and means.

njAK84

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Honestly I’m still trying to wrap my ahead around someone green-lighting a vehicle name that consists of two categorically opposed animals. Kinda feel like someone fell asleep at the wheel on that one…

All I see is “horse dinosaur”

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Honestly I’m still trying to wrap my ahead around someone green-lighting a vehicle name that consists of two categorically opposed animals. Kinda feel like someone fell asleep at the wheel on that one…

All I see is “horse dinosaur”
Perhaps a better understand of history would help.

A-10 Warthog
Ford Bronco The reason Bronco “Raptor” won out over "Warthog" A-10 Wartho

F-22 Raptor
f-22-raptor_009.jpg

OV-10 Bronco
Ov10From2oClock.jpg

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Evidently, Warthog was not chosen because they thought people wouldn’t understand the meaning.

I’m my opinion, this was a mistake on Ford’s part. Warthog was the way to go and would be the beginning of a new icon for the Bronco brand. Instead, they are tethering Bronco back to parent brand Ford.

At this point, the only thing I could see happening is Ford calling the 37” package the, “Warthog Package”.

It would result in people just referring to 37” Broncos as Warthogs. Kind of like how Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel is just referred to as a Cummins. Or a Mustang GT is referred to as a 5.0.

The package/option transcends the original name of the product. I’m sure you guys can think of several other examples.

Why The “Raptor” Won Out Over “Warthog” For The High-Performance Bronco
Although I’m sure no one minds what it’s called so long as it’s good, for a long time, it looked like Ford might confer the title “Warthog” on its high-performance Bronco instead of “Raptor.”​
Indeed, the automaker went through the trouble of filing a patent application for the name and even put some references to the name in its camouflage. And yet, after all that, Ford decided to borrow the F-150’s Raptor designation.​
In the end, Mark Grueber, marketing manager for the Ford Bronco, told Muscle Cars & Trucks that it was that familiarity that made the decision.​
“People have a general sense of what a Raptor is,” said Grueber. “There’s a ton of equity in the Raptor name now that it’s been out in the marketplace a dozen years, and I think it’s easily understood what that brand means. And that’s what is most important. It was developed and intended to be a Raptor.”​
Indeed, the truck’s success took the world by storm, leading to competitors like the Ram 1500 TRX. Now in its third generation, the F-150 Raptor is a well-established brand with plenty of cachet.​
“I do think it’s a unique time in the automotive space right now,” Grueber said. “My first exposure was as the F-150 brand manager, and I helped launch the original Raptor… nobody saw it coming, and when it came you couldn’t get it for years.”​
The Warthog name, on the other hand, has some pretty strong connotations that aren’t necessarily related to Ford. The “Warthog,” of course, is the name of the military troop vehicle in the Halo series.​
It’s also the name of a warplane used by the U.S. Air Force. Indeed, hidden in the Bronco Raptor’s camouflage is the term “BRRRT,” seemingly a reference to a meme that, according to Know Your Meme, attempts to imitate the sound plane’s guns. Since that meme directly references the taking of human lives, its use could be considered to be in bad taste by many, including this writer.​
Too many snowflakes offended by a war-name...typical pansies.
Sponsored