First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Carb or FI. If it’s carbd def want Weber’s. The 4.0s seem to love them.
Sponsored

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the single best base 4x4 you can buy to offroad/rockclimb/hardcore wheel, period. The only tiny problem is the unibody construction, but that is fixed with not caring because it's cheap or modifying as things break if you can weld.

Solid front and rear axles. That 4.0 is bulletproof if you do basic maintenance. Two door is fun. Is that on 32s/33s? I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it starts and runs clean, and there isn't rust issues.

If it's in decent condition and they aren't trying to gouge you, buy it. Keep it forever. You'll be glad you did. Beat it to death or build something TRULY amazing for under 10k, which would be a lift, wheels/tires and some upgraded gearing. If they are asking insane money, these can be found cheap, built cheap, and keep up with the joneses all day long.

Matt's XJ is amazing. He rescues 80k dollar wranglers with it. This thing is just bonkers. He also has a video why he chose that for the work he does... watch a few videos. The XJ is just a beast.
That's a glowing endorsement if I ever heard one. 31s I think. It shouldn't have a spot of rust, nothing here does, we're on the dry side of the mountains.

SpeedTwin

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've owned two XJs and miss them both. Good value off roader. I don't have much to add to what has already been stated. Let us know what you decide.
Ford Bronco Thinking about a Jeep XJ while I wait. FB_IMG_1607666290390
Ford Bronco Thinking about a Jeep XJ while I wait. FB_IMG_1607665494860

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
3000. Pretty steep IMO. I think my tap out on this example might be 2500.
For reference, I got a 2000 wj 4.7 ltd, 142k for 2500. This was 1.5 year ago. Little rust but what jeep isn't..

Sponsored

wavydave

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8 GXP, 04 F150 FX4, Wildtrak 2DR, Badlands 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's because Obama's cash for clunkers program killed a whole lot of them.
Broncos too...
Ford Bronco Thinking about a Jeep XJ while I wait. cash-for-clunkers
I was really into 1st and 2nd gen explorers back then and it killed off tons of those too. The way they destroyed them they weren't even good for many parts.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
My good friend who owns an off road shop swears by XJ’s as a budget vehicle. His last one he sold with 350k and said that it ran like a top. The guy he sold it to drove it to 450k and rolled it on the street.

Dude walked away.

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So this motorcycle only thing is really putting a cramp in my lifestyle, as was the Focus I just got rid of to put myself in this predicament. I've always had a 4x4.

Since I'm a good 3-4 months out, I've been looking into a beater XJ for the summer. I found a 91 4.0 5spd 2dr 4x4 that has my attention.

I imagine there's quite a bit of XJ experience on this forum. They've gotten a little pricey for what it is but what hasn't over the last year?

Screenshot_20210619-110322~2.png
Mmmm
Pacific North West
Maybe Washington plates, but you say in the desert and parked on grass.
142 Anywhere St. USA
This XJ is what I was looking for.
2 door. Manual. 4.0 inline.
I would buy it. I’ve only seen one in person at KOH and the guy just picked it up. Check the driver door hinges. Heavier longer door on 2 doors wear and sag. Pass looks okay in picture. Heating, rear main, normal issues. Like said before. You’ll always be able to sell if still running. Good luck with it if you get it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mmmm
Pacific North West
Maybe Washington plates, but you say in the desert and parked on grass.
142 Anywhere St. USA
This XJ is what I was looking for.
2 door. Manual. 4.0 inline.
I would buy it. I’ve only seen one in person at KOH and the guy just picked it up. Check the driver door hinges. Heavier longer door on 2 doors wear and sag. Pass looks okay in picture. Heating, rear main, normal issues. Like said before. You’ll always be able to sell if still running. Good luck with it if you get it.
I think I've decided against it, so no need to be cryptic any more. I suppose the area might not technically be desert, but it averages only 8-9" of rain a year and is hot as hell so it counts imo. It's in Moses Lake, WA.

I'm leaning towards putting the money into one of my projects instead and getting it running.

wavydave

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8 GXP, 04 F150 FX4, Wildtrak 2DR, Badlands 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've owned one and sold it years ago for about KBB. I've tried to find another, and no joke people want about what I sold mine for, 12 years ago. It's one of the only vehicles I ever regretted selling. XJs, 4x4 with 4.0L, are about perfect, especially HP D30 and 8.25. Fock.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

XJ owner here (two-4door 1998). I don't have any experience or insight for a manual, but I'll tell you that most of the issues I've had with our two XJs over the last few years have been sensors that mess with the auto. So , maybe that's in your favor.
How many miles on the 4.0L? I think that year had 185 HP--probably much less now unless the engine was rebuilt or replaced somewhere along the line. I bet the rear main seal leaks too--they all do.
I've routinely seen XJs with 250K+ miles. SO, unless the one you're looking at is in bad shape, it should get you through the next 3-4 months.
They're fun to wheel. The wheelbase (~101 inches) and light weight (~3600 lbs) works really well. Looks like it has been lifted and is running 31" tires. Even if it has open diffs, it will surprise you where it can go! If it doesn't already have sway bar disconnects, get some. They make a HUGE difference when climbing rocks and traversing rutted roads.
My bet is that, unless you drive the wheels off it or wreck it, you'll be able to sell it for darn near what you paid once you get your Bronco. But beware, you might decide to keep it!
I saw a really bitchin one yesterday with about 4-6 lift with cut out wheel wells and Yj type big black bush whacked flares on it. It looked cool!
And had a bunch of wheel clearance they usually are limited in the rear.

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lots of 5.0's died a horrible premature death...
Seriously. I just picked up a '96 Bronco with a 5.0 and the thing still runs like a top after a quarter of a century! Bet a lot 'of those clunkers had a lot of life left in 'em.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.