Sponsored

To remove or not remove Brush Bar and Roof Rack from 2DR order....

Jd1539

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2Dr Badlands Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really getting tempted to remove both from my order to expedite production.
Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the brush bar seems rather useless to me, so close to the grill, it won't keep anything from smashing your front if you run into it. And if you want it just for looks - meh, better options out there.
Roof rack only you can decide, will you need it? Right away? Or just getting it for looks? Remove if not an immediate need (say to transport your ski or kayak or what not) and wait for aftermarket, lots of things will show up soon.

Will removing those things get you your ride faster? Nobody knows, nobody can tell you, it's a shot in the dark. So don't remove things you actually rally want on your ride.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really getting tempted to remove both from my order to expedite production.
You'll regret deleting the roof rack.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do it. Plenty of better looking and more functional options to be had (roof racks will be launched en masse soon).

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The roof rack comes off in minutes. So get the rack, and stash it away until you need to use it. Roof racks are only noticed by me when I wash the vehicle or removing snow. Mine will be garaged so it only becomes a pain when I wash it.

BobT

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I believe in ordering it how I want it.
But, necessities override all.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you really going to use the roof rack? You better bring a ladder or be NBA tall. That's one of the reasons we kept the Grand Cherokee, I can actually get the kayak on/ off of it. Not happening with the Bronco, way too high.

I like this push bar better than the factory option.

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BR6SB-J.html

I like the way it sits low under the Bronco letters. One of the best things, to me, about the Bronco is the super clean frontend. I'm very reluctant to mess with it but Lisa likes that bar so we may end up going with it. I really want a winch too on this one so I'm OK with the bar.

Carson

Base
First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I plan to drop the brush gaurd today. I, like others, like aftermarket better and I do not need more constraints on my 2 door order.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I question the purpose of the brush bar. To me, it just seems to deflect air from going into the radiator.

I was looking at some after markets as I want to get a winch eventually but I'm concerned about air flow.

For carrying, I have that rear basket for holidays. Much better than the roof rack. I don't regret not having it as my wife wants more of a cage system anyway.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jd1539

Jd1539

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks everyone for the thoughts! Since I can get an aftermarket brush guard pretty easily and I don't need the roof rack right away, I think I'm going to 86 them.

OP
OP
Jd1539

Jd1539

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are there any watchouts if I have them re-submit my order? I know I'd have to make sure they select HD bumper. I'm sasquatch Badlands. I think everything else is available but I know the ordering had been spotty on certain combos lately.

skhubbard93

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, '01 Z8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you really going to use the roof rack? You better bring a ladder or be NBA tall. That's one of the reasons we kept the Grand Cherokee, I can actually get the kayak on/ off of it. Not happening with the Bronco, way too high.

I like this push bar better than the factory option.

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BR6SB-J.html

I like the way it sits low under the Bronco letters. One of the best things, to me, about the Bronco is the super clean frontend. I'm very reluctant to mess with it but Lisa likes that bar so we may end up going with it. I really want a winch too on this one so I'm OK with the bar.
I use my roof rack for skiing, currently. I stand on either (a) the floor in front of the rear seats, (b) the rear tire, or (c) both in order to reach up there. You do need to be taller than an oompa-loompa, but I'm certainly nowhere near NBA height.

Roof racks are not easy to come by. In fact, it was impossible to even get one on most 4-door configurations in the '21 B&P tool due to what I assume to be weight and balance issues. So if you decide you don't like it, you will likely be able to sell it for as much as you paid (I believe they cost more as accessories than from the factory, likely due to packaging, shipping and handling), and if you don't get it but need it, you may well regret it.

There does exist a 3rd party back-only roof mounted platform-style rack accessory that was recently marketed on this forum. The thing to keep in mind is that it can only hold 75 lbs - and I'd be concerned about even that much given that it mounts by clamping to the back section rack mount points. I know those points are designed for lateral loads, but I have concerns about how much longitudinal (think emergency braking) strength they have since the Ford rack is bolted to the windshield frame mount points for strength, so those rear-section points would not need to bear longitudinal loads for that rack.

FWIW, my Bronco looks something like this, though in my garage with a license plate instead of on the Ford B&P image generator background:
Ford Bronco To remove or not remove Brush Bar and Roof Rack from 2DR order.... Vehicle with Ski Rack

Last edited:

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks everyone for the thoughts! Since I can get an aftermarket brush guard pretty easily and I don't need the roof rack right away, I think I'm going to 86 them.
The reason I said you'll regret it is cost. They currently aren't available as a unit. Some people are piecing together factory units for $1700 in components across the parts counter. The aftermarket ones look like afterthoughts. Take it off if you don't like it or don't want it on all the time. Like @MayhemMike said, it comes off easily in no time.

If you don't like it.. sell it at a profit to one of those in the community with the dammit-I-didn't-order-the-rack-when-I-had-the-chance regret syndrome. Save them the trouble of getting in all the parts, but finding out the right bolts are on backorder for 9 months. Unless you are really scared it's the one constraint that won't get it built... it's a win-win for both of you. Just my .02.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I chose not to get the rack and sometimes question if it was the right move. You won't find a cheaper aftermarket option for a while. The bull bar should be an easy drop, nothing special there.
Sponsored