First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can do a 7 pin set up with an aftermarket brake controller, not really a big deal, but certainly not as clean as the OEM one.

I doubt I'll need a brake controller on a vehicle with such a low tow weight ability. 3500# is nothing.
Sponsored

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have an October order- Badlands SAS, MIC, 2.7. Do you think removing the tow package would help or don't bother?
I'm a Badlands MIC, dropped tow last week and got a build day on Thursday.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can do a 7 pin set up with an aftermarket brake controller, not really a big deal, but certainly not as clean as the OEM one.

I doubt I'll need a brake controller on a vehicle with such a low tow weight ability. 3500# is nothing.
7 pin is not only for brake controls. My boat trailer needs 5 pins, one for the reverse solenoid actuation. Many people have spent more money on after market hitches than the stock Ford unit. There also is the time factor. I certainly don’t want to butcher my new Bronco and mess with it’s electronics/warranty.
They are building plenty of Broncos with the hitches. Or do you want to devalue your ride?

NaturalFlorida

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 4Runner SR-5 / 7" lift / 5.29 Gears / Lockers
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The last couple of days I have been researching the Tow Package / Constraint Conundrum since I don't really need the Trailer Brakes or Constant 12V in the 7 pin.

Watched a couple of YouTube Install videos & researched Curt Hitch & 4 pin harness.

Self install is Simple , Straight Forward and Budget Friendly.

Was still on the fence after my morning coffee today.

This afternoon, I received a text from by Sales Rep that he thought the TP and Sas Pkg was holding back my order being pulled.

Dropping Sas Pkg is a Deal Killer even though there are several available work arounds and that I may still take off the Sas Pkg and lift to fit 37s. I am just stuck on it for some reason.

I decided to take his unsolicited information as a "Sign From Above" and drop the TP along with adding the Remote Entry Keypad since I was back into my order and would need to sign a new DORA.

After last weeks Build Schedule came out , Rep told me his order #166 had just got a VIN, ours is #170 so I am trying to give it a nudge since I did not have a Reservation and seem to need several of the constraints already.

2 Door High Bad Man Squatch w/ Roof Rails @ MSRP

They have allocation and are down to the end of their Reservations and mine is the 1st MY22 walk-in order.

Also don't know if it matters but after me politely asking every time we have communicated since placing the our Priority Code 19 was bumped to 10 on the new DORA.

Really hoping since the Sas Pkg is offered across all models his mentioning as it being Constrained is a case of "My Dealer Said".

I will watch this thread and follow up to add info to this helping or not with getting pulled.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

For those that question the difference from 4 pin to 7 pin.

12v
Trailer Brakes
Back up lights (will actuate reverse solenoid if trailer is equipped)

Ford Bronco Remove tow package or not? EB202303-2320-442A-8705-5F478C1BDF96

Sponsored

scottfwalter

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond Sasquatch MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I dropped the tow package on my Black Diamond and still no build date

Busterbronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT Premium and 1982 F100 Short Bed.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My build is very similar to yours, and I removed the tow package when I reordered in October for the 22 model year. I received my production email very shortly after, it was built at the beginning of this month and I pick her up this afternoon. I believe fully it was the tow package removal that mattered. For my needs I don't need a trailer brake controller on something that tows 3500 lb. Mine will have a seven and four pin connector on the aftermarket trailer hitch that I'm putting on. If I need trailer brakes I'll just add an aftermarket controller I just don't see that happening.
Same story for me! got scheduled about two weeks after i dropped it. Installing a tow hitch is not a difficult thing anyway.

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It tows 3500 lbs max. What are you guys planning to tow that would require a 7-pin brake setup?

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
7 pin is not only for brake controls. My boat trailer needs 5 pins, one for the reverse solenoid actuation. Many people have spent more money on after market hitches than the stock Ford unit. There also is the time factor. I certainly don’t want to butcher my new Bronco and mess with it’s electronics/warranty.
They are building plenty of Broncos with the hitches. Or do you want to devalue your ride?
You probably should pay to get work done.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I buckled under the pressure, and dropped the tow package when I put in my '22 order. I fell even lower last week, and removed the MIC top, and the 2.7L. Will it help? Only time will tell.

Note: I'm keeping the LUX package if I never get the thing. I ain't goin' any lower.

Sponsored

Kdk12

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Yamaha V-star Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ordered mine (4d BB) with tow as the only restraint, got it 4 months later... With no reservation

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will be towing in the mountains of CO and at full capacity so a brake controller is a must.
Tow does not include a factory brake controller.
No but you can buy it and add it after the fact. If you buy an aftermarket hitch the Ford controller won't work

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll toss this in for discussion:
The Raptor adds 1,000 lbs tow capacity, apparently through a redesign on the reciever/frame mounting design. This was made possible by the new exhaust/muffler configuration.

So, if you don't need to tow anything with it in the next year or so, I'd say aftermarket will provide a "raptor design like" exhaust/muffler option coupled with the higher capacity add-on receiver.

Add that to your analysis paralysis! :)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

To kind of recap what other people have mentioned as well,

Adding a hitch in a 4-pin after the fact is relatively easy. However, nobody has been able to add the 7-pin harness afterwards and get it successfully to work with ANY brake controller.

There are a couple folks much smarter than me that seem close.

And before you just dismiss needing 7 pins, You may want to check the state laws on trailer weight requirements for anywhere you plan on traveling. In addition, if you plan on towing any trailer that needs anything other than basic turn signals and brake lights, you're going to need the 7-pin.

Some examples: trailers with hydraulic brakes that use the reverse light to bypass or trailers that need 12V for accessories, etc.
Sponsored