Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just an FYI for anyone planning on working on their bronco with the Torx bolts on it.

They are a mix of Torx and Torx PLUS. Torx PLUS is not the same as Torx even though they are the same size.

Take off your beauty rings with a T45 Torx bit and you risk stripping them at worst and frustration with the bit "camming out" at best.

Wheel trim rings are regular Torx. Bronco bolts are Torx+

I talked to TWO different auto parts stores. The individuals I talked to had never heard of Torx PLUS and assured me that Torx bits would work fine.

$24 to me is a cheap investment to make sure you have the right tools for the job: https://smile.amazon.com/Neiko-10086A-Tp8-Steel-Socket/dp/B004UC9WJE/

Courtesy of @VoltageDrop a very reasonably priced set Made in USA:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005OH0MES

Apologize if this posts belongs somewhere else but I feel like it should be more prominently displayed if it is somewhere else.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They didn't give us the right head to pull the "Bronco" bolts . . . .

Amazing.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I believe it’s been mentioned quite a bit, but will continue to be an issue.

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just an FYI for anyone planning on working on their bronco with the Torx bolts on it.

They are Torx PLUS. Torx PLUS is not the same as Torx even though they are the same size.

Take off your beauty rings with a T45 Torx bit and you risk stripping them at worst and frustration with the bit "camming out" at best.

I talked to TWO different auto parts stores. The individuals I talked to had never heard of Torx PLUS and assured me that Torx bits would work fine.

$24 to me is a cheap investment to make sure you have the right tools for the job: https://smile.amazon.com/Neiko-10086A-Tp8-Steel-Socket/dp/B004UC9WJE/

Apologize if this posts belongs somewhere else but I feel like it should be more prominently displayed if it is somewhere else.
Agree had to go to harbor freight to get the right size torque bit to install bull bar

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh great it's like JIS screws on Japanese motorcycles. Most people use Phillips and you get a lot of mangled screws.

Sponsored

Sponsored

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Oh great it's like JIS screws on Japanese motorcycles. Most people use Phillips and you get a lot of mangled screws.
Oh boy I remember thesis ,taking the secondary butterflies out of my zx14 you had one chance at it and you had to heat the bit and hold it in there so the lock title melted.

Busterbronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT Premium and 1982 F100 Short Bed.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They are Torx PLUS. Torx PLUS is not the same as Torx even though they are the same size.

Thank you for this information!!!
Sponsored