Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most vehicles (trucks) already come with the wiring/plug even without a hitch (tow package)....so that’s what i was curious about $595 hitch? Or are they not gonna put the plug either if you don’t get the “package”. If it’s a “package”, I’m assuming it’s more than a hitch?
This isn’t a “truck”... it’s a body on frame, small SUV with a relatively low GVWR and a tow limit of 3500lbs.

The tow “package” on the bronco is the receiver, and the wiring/plug.

Tow package does not add any additional components (transmission cooler, springs, etc).

Trailer sway control is built into the ECU and if I remember correctly Ford has stated or implied it’s “included in all trims”... but that’s because it’s software, not equipment.

Everyone agrees on the forum that the package cost is a lot for what you’re getting, and that it’ll be cheaper aftermarket. Some people are still choosing to purchase it from Ford to save them the headache after the fact... some people are used to adding receivers and harnesses and it’s not that big of a deal for them.
Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Most vehicles (trucks) already come with the wiring/plug even without a hitch (tow package)....so that’s what i was curious about $595 hitch? Or are they not gonna put the plug either if you don’t get the “package”. If it’s a “package”, I’m assuming it’s more than a hitch?
The wires may be under the bronco, but I think the actual plug connectors are on the same piece as the hitch receiver so without a hitch receiver, no plugs. There’s some photos on here of the bronco chassis without the body and looks to me like the plug is on the same piece as the hitch receiver

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm one of those fools that are probably going to get it but here is why..

1) It has been said, that if you get the Mod Bumper, not only do you lose the Fog lights, but you actually lose the entire wiring harness. So it suggest Ford has no issues using different wire harnesses and so adding an aftermarket hitch will require you to hack/tap into the wiring ... possibly the very expensive Taillights.

2) With the wonderful news about not being able to get roof racks with many configurations... I need to be able to have some storage the day I bring the Bronco home. So having a factory hitch, will allow me to make use of my Hitch Carrier until I can figure out how to get roof rails going.

Think about it this way... yes.. you could do your own hitch for what $200.... so you are talking about $400 more... yes it's 400... but it is only 400 in the big picture.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curt has a Plug & Play 7 Pin Wiring Harness for the 2020 Ranger, so they will develop one for the Bronco: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56431

So all of the Cut/Splice comments are .... well... unfounded. With a Plug & Play Harness, you'll just unplug a tail light from the main harness and plug in the aftermarket harness, route the wires and mount the trailer connector.

I didn't look, but there should also be Trailer Brake Controllers that will be Plug & Play as well.

The almost $600 for what FoMoCo is providing is a Total Joke in My Opinion.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don't have to convince me. I agree with everything you said.

I was responding to the other poster who are arguing that other "trucks" come with the tow wiring/plug even if you don't spec the receiver... and the point I was trying to make (perhaps poorly) was that the Bronco isn't being marketed as a "truck" the same way a Ranger, F150, Tundra, etc etc etc are, so they shouldn't assume it would be equipped the same way as those other vehicles.

I for one think it's a crime against humanity that the 4-door couldn't have come with a 5,000 lb tow rating, even if a "max tow package" came with stiffer rear springs at the cost of off-road ability.... but clearly Ford (at least at this time) isn't interested in splitting the Bronco's philosophy of use away from the off-road image.

Sponsored

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford confirmed in one of the QA’s that the controller is not included in the package.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Trailer sway control is built into the ECU and if I remember correctly Ford has stated or implied it’s “included in all trims”... but that’s because it’s software, not equipment.
Yep. Funny thing about TSC is, unless you're running a trailer with electric brakes and a controller , it doesn't actually do a damn thing with the trailer brakes/ wiring. Vehicle's own yaw/ pitch sensors determine if it's starting to sway and cuts throttle/ apply vehicle brakes accordingly to try and get it back in line.

If that sounds a lot like stability control, it's because it essentially is - just formulated to pick up on the motions specifically associated with trailer sway and adapt accordingly. Not remotely surprising to see it included across the board, and I very much doubt it suddenly gets removed should you not buy the trailering package.

I've come to the conclusion that skipping this package is probably for the best. I have use for the hitch, but can likely install it myself just fine - even if I wind up having to drop the bumper in order to do so. Hoping the wiring is similar to what's on the 5G Ranger, wherein there's just a T-harness to connect between wiring connectors on the truck itself. Understand that's a gamble, but one I'm willing to take in order to not be raked over the coals on this.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not surprising - the press photos of the bare frame that's been also shown at regional events made that clear.

Ford Bronco Tow Package Question 1603722232699

But yes, I'm with you - sourcing a Curt or Draw-Tite equivalent should be extremely affordable.
Ford's profit margin on this package is THICC.

Last edited:

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's good to know, I've always used the hitch as a recovery point, even with a very similar hitch set-up, and no problem; but maybe it's not the best. Would those tow loops to the left and right be stronger?
Sponsored