Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, there is zero confusion about it. It’s not there unless you have the factory tow package. Show me a Bronco without the tow package that has the towing menu. Its not there. The forscan guys haven’t found a way to enable it because the self sense module isn’t there to enable towing features, disable proximity sensors, modify BLIS, etc.
Is that true for 2022 as well??

On the 2021 tow guide the trailer sway control is listed as an optional upgrade and not a standard feature. But for 2022 it is listed as a standard feature.
Ford Bronco Tow Package? 1642877914232
Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

On the 2021 tow guide the trailer sway control is listed as an optional upgrade and not a standard feature. But for 2022 it is listed as a standard feature.
1642877914232.png
Yup, confirmed for 2022 as well. No trailer sway control without the tow package.

Ford Bronco Tow Package? 9AF5B5A2-8E01-49B8-80A2-2ADC3B44D4DC

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
New York requires trailer brakes on the following:
  • On every trailer weighing over 1000 lbs unladen (unloaded)
  • On every trailer weighing over 3000 lbs that was manufactured after December 1970.
In addition, if driving on the highway, the trailer’s wheels cannot extend more than 6 inches out from the path of the pulling vehicle. Which is mega confusing, but it effectively puts width restrictions on the trailer and where exactly the trailer can be attached. The highway piece is (probably) meant to provide an exemption for farm equipment
As if we need another reason to avoid NY :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
No, there is zero confusion about it. It’s not there unless you have the factory tow package. Show me a Bronco without the tow package that has the towing menu. Its not there. The forscan guys haven’t found a way to enable it because the self sense module isn’t there to enable towing features, disable proximity sensors, modify BLIS, etc.

8D447258-B568-41BD-A310-27A3D2A852AC.jpeg
I wouldn't be so sure about that, just because the lack of the towing package doesn't give you an option to turn it on or off does not mean that it's not there, on F150's it's default is on all the time whether you have a trailer hooked up or not (though you do have an option to turn it off). Until someone actually confirms it there is not "zero confusion". Even if it doesn't have it the stability control is going to pretty much do the same thing as sway control (it already has the sensors because stability control needs them).

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup, confirmed for 2022 as well. No trailer sway control without the tow package.

Well… huh.

Honestly the Bronco doesn’t really need trailer sway control—trailers are too light for it to really to cause an issue (unless you load your trailer like an idiot). BUT, Ford should fix their documentation because that is super misleading.

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Well… huh.

Honestly the Bronco doesn’t really need trailer sway control—trailers are too light for it to really to cause an issue (unless you load your trailer like an idiot). BUT, Ford should fix their documentation because that is super misleading.
Depends what trailer someone wants to tow. If your going to tow a small camper your pushing the Broncos towing capability, especially the tongue weight. That can lead to sway issues especially at highway speeds, wind conditions, etc.

I’m not trying to sway anyone one way or another, but if your listing the difference between factory tow and aftermarket you need to list all the differences so someone can make their own informed decision.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Keep in mind that the current version (Nov 29) of the guide on the US site (there's nothing for FOC yet) has some errors for the Bronco, so that could be one as well. See if you can pick out the issues in the table below:

Screenshot_20220121-215748_Office.jpg

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends what trailer someone wants to tow. If your going to tow a small camper your pushing the Broncos towing capability, especially the tongue weight. That can lead to sway issues especially at highway speeds, wind conditions, etc.

I’m not trying to sway anyone one way or another, but if your listing the difference between factory tow and aftermarket you need to list all the differences so someone can make their own informed decision.
Yeah, I agree. Especially if you are towing a tall camper with a heavy crosswind... that's basically like driving with a sail attached to your vehicle and can cause all kinds of issues (even if you do have trailer sway control).

I guess I'm just more frustrated that you can't make an informed decision based on documentation that Ford provides and instead of you have to come to a community forum to figure out what you are actually buying (or not buying, in this case).

Keep in mind that the current version (Nov 29) of the guide on the US site (there's nothing for FOC yet) has some errors for the Bronco, so that could be one as well. See if you can pick out the issues in the table below:

Ford Bronco Tow Package? Screenshot_20220121-215748_Office
Oh wow, I didn't even read that table before.

I could understand missing an option here and there, or having a typo in a few spots. But they got multiple configurations that aren't even build-able on this spreadsheet. At some point they should let the community proof-read their documentation before they publish it.

JMiles74

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most of Forest River campers come with electric brakes so they can make them 50-state compatible.

That doesn't necessarily mean you need the tow package or a brake controller though. Depends on what states you intend on traveling through and where you intend on camping. If you aren't going too far off the beaten path, then you don't need trailer brakes. If you intend on hitting the public lands out west and are on traveling on back-country roads that aren't maintained by the Forest Service or BLM, then yeah... it'll be helpful.

If you are just doing a hitch-mounted bike rack the wiring harness isn't required unless your bike rack has a 3rd brake light on it (some do, most don't).

The say it's required because... well... it's illegal to tow a trailer without brake lights and turn signals. But it isn't required for a rack.
@RagnarKon Thank you so much for your insight. My ultimate goal with the camper is going out west (I live in Georgia) and hitting some BLM and Forest Roads, so it sounds like I should wait a little longer for the factory mount and 7 pin harness and plan on installing a trailer brake too!! Thanks again!!! 😁👍

Sponsored

Kennys2g

Base
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ladies and gentlemen!
PSA!
PLEASE be very careful with your towing choices with the Bronco.
Being a tractor trailer driver and having owned several pickup/trailer combinations, it’s way better to over “truck” than just do the minimum “truck” configuration for your desired trailer. Especially something like a camper that, as mentioned before, can be like towing a sail. You never want to be in a situation where the “ tail is wagging the dog” going down the highway. If that happens, that can definitely be a situation where you’d probably, at a minimum, need to change your shorts if you make it through without putting it in a ditch. @JMiles74
Driving through the plains states, you 100% need to be aware of the weather as Lite Bright experienced in a recent video. 80mph winds will blow you into a ditch in a heartbeat. I’ve known guys in tractor trailers that have been blown over. It’s not a fun ride and I’d hate to see anyone on this forum lose their long-awaited Bronco because they hooked up a trailer that was too big to be safely pulled by our beloved Bronco. And a piece of general trailer towing advise, ALWAYS know where your trailer tires are and make SURE your mirrors are wide enough to see the back corners of the trailer as you’re going down the road.
If your mirrors aren’t wide enough, then you’re putting yourself in a situation where you have HUGE blind spots which makes it extremely difficult to change lanes and, generally maneuver, putting you and other drivers in precarious situations.
From many years of experience, people in cars do not want to ever be behind a trailer and, generally, will not give a trailer any leeway, ever.
Be safe out there!

brnc_o_vrlndr

Badlands
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4-dr non-Sasquatch 7-spd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ford Bronco Tow Package? Screenshot_20220121-215748_Office
I have not been able to play around with a Bronco with the tow package, but is that menu there with no trailer attached? I was curious if the Trailer Module would sense the trailer and activate that menu. I have been able to program a TRM into a Bronco without the factory towing package using Forscan, but will most likely need to activate something in several other modules to get it all to work. I do know that simply adding the TRM into the network does not activate this menu.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have not been able to play around with a Bronco with the tow package, but is that menu there with no trailer attached? I was curious if the Trailer Module would sense the trailer and activate that menu. I have been able to program a TRM into a Bronco without the factory towing package using Forscan, but will most likely need to activate something in several other modules to get it all to work. I do know that simply adding the TRM into the network does not activate this menu.
Correct, Trailer sway will not activate without sensing a trailer connected.

brnc_o_vrlndr

Badlands
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4-dr non-Sasquatch 7-spd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank for that confirmation! Saves me from turning on a bunch of stuff in the APIM, hoping to find the menu. Lol. I will try connecting a trailer once the wiring portion is done and see if I get the menu.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Does the 4-pin connection activate it or does it require the 7-pin to be plugged in?
Sponsored