Sponsored

Towing Capacity - Upgradable? Can it haul a car?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't care, you could put the Raptor cab on the normal '150 frame. My point is is the door sticker (which also has the VIN on it) is what mandates the GVWR at the consumer level.

There is no changing it.

Raptor was just a nice example as there is a peer model that is similar (normal F-150) has substantially better ratings.
Don't forget that with the lower trims the 3500lb tow cap can be easily exceeded without hitting GCWR (or GVWR). Depending on what you are considering to be set in stone, some modifications to comfortably increas the tow cap may not even be problematic.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't forget that with the lower trims the 3500lb tow cap can be easily exceeded without hitting GCWR (or GVWR). Depending on what you are considering to be set in stone, some modifications to comfortably increas the tow cap may not even be problematic.
If you get in an accident and somebody decides to see if your car is overweight and if that could have been a factor they go by the sticker.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't care, you could put the Raptor cab on the normal '150 frame. My point is is the door sticker (which also has the VIN on it) is what mandates the GVWR at the consumer level.

There is no changing it.

Raptor was just a nice example as there is a peer model that is similar (normal F-150) has substantially better ratings.
Helium, lots and lots of Helium... LOL. ;) Either that or changing the gravitational constant of the earth.

As for the F-150, there is a lot of variance even between F-150's. The F-250 guys soil themselves when I tell them that they have a lower payload capacity than my 2011 F-150 (which is just north of 3,000 pounds payload capacity). Most F-150's and most F-250's have no where near 3,000 pounds of payload capacity. Although my "towing capacity" is only 11,000 pounds.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
3500 lbs. is the limit and the rule of thumb is 10% tongue weight. It really is pretty simple.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you get in an accident and somebody decides to see if your car is overweight and if that could have been a factor they go by the sticker.
Indeed the sticker is king. Does that sticker show the actual tow cap, or does it only show GVWR, GCWR, and GAWRs? I've never seen tow cap specifically butnI haven't looked too hard.

My point is that Bases, BBs, and OBXs can tow way more than the tow cap without actually going over any of those capacities. BDs not so much and BLs, WTs, and FEs are definitely limited by the vehicle's gross weight ratings.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

3500 lbs. is the limit and the rule of thumb is 10% tongue weight. It really is pretty simple.
Actually it's explicitely stated that the Class II reciever is only rated for 350lbs.

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Have to agree with those saying it's a bad idea.

If you want a real off-roader that can tow decently then buy a power wagon, raptor or gladiator maybe even look at ZR2 bison or Ranger tremor(although thats not a real off-roader more a package) if you only tow light. Ironically all of those vehicles can end up being very close in price as a loaded up bronco too. And even more ironically all are fairly similar in MPGs as a squatch bronco with the little trucks being better.

I've always found it funny how you can buy a HD truck or a tiny SUV for about the same money. Maybe competition will between Wrangler and Bronco will make the prices for little off-road SUVs come down, but I'm not counting on it.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Have to agree with those saying it's a bad idea.

If you want a real off-roader that can tow decently then buy a power wagon, raptor or gladiator maybe even look at ZR2 bison or Ranger tremor(although thats not a real off-roader more a package) if you only tow light. Ironically all of those vehicles can end up being very close in price as a loaded up bronco too. And even more ironically all are fairly similar in MPGs as a squatch bronco with the little trucks being better.

I've always found it funny how you can buy a HD truck or a tiny SUV for about the same money. Maybe competition will between Wrangler and Bronco will make the prices for little off-road SUVs come down, but I'm not counting on it.
Don't forget a suitably-packaged Taco too. Unfortunately only two of these options come with a stick, and the Galdiator's gear spacing is terrible.
Sponsored