Towing Package question

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Not saying you can't express your disappointment, but for a deal breaker? What were you expecting from an SUV?
It's a deal breaker for many because our wives prefer it to be versatile to replace a truck. Luckily if we do get a boat I SHOULD be okay with 3,500 pounds but I'd be a lot happier if I knew I had up to 5,000.

Advertisement

Phosvitin

Big Bend
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota matrix and honda civic
Compared pics of an FJ Cruiser to a 2021 Bronco as it is now. FJ spare tire on the tailgate sits high enough to hook up a trailer with a straight hitch. The Bronco I doubt I could hook up the same trailers with the spare on.

fj cruiser tow hookup1.JPG

fj cruiser tow hookup.JPG

fj cruiser tow hookup2.png

fj cruiser tow hookup3.JPG

fj cruiser tow hookup4.JPG

fj cruiser tow hookup5.JPG

fj cruiser tow hookup6.JPG

fj cruiser tow hookup7.JPG
Thought you could pull a sneaky with that blue "FJ Cruiser" huh? I see that spoon in the background ?

da_jokker

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee XJ
Clubs

So after all this ... looks like I am going to have to buy the Towing simply because I can't get Roof Rails on anything I want. So with at least a hitch, I can put my little carrier on the back and carry some stuff.

Way to bend me over Ford!

Last edited:

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tundra
So after all this ... looks like I am going to have to buy the Towing simply because I can't get Roof Rails on anything I want. So with at least a hitch, I can put my little carrier on the back and carry some stuff.

Way to bend me over Ford!
Just put them on yourself as an accessory.

Squatch Bronc

Base
First Name
Squatch
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sasquatch
I have a question on Towing:
It does state that Base model does not have an optional "Towing package". Is there something fundamentally different in the frame/body to other models or does it simply mean that the "tow hitch" itself is an option that you cant choose for Base right of the bat?
If that is the case, is Base prewired for a tow and can accept aftermarket or Ford hitch ordered separately?

So to sum it up, what does it take to have a Base model towing 3500lbs? Or can it out of the box?

Is there a chance for the "Towing Package" which is described as "TBD" to be able to handle over 3500lbs?

This is how my E70 X5 came - prewired, and I installed Curt hitch without any issues.
Therefore, just in case I have also reserved Black Diamond to cover the worst case scenario.
Late answer, but I just saw your post. Towing capacity has to do with frame and how the hitch is mounted. The Bronco has the old style channel frame, and with the proper welded or bolted hitch to this frame, the Bronco Base can tow 3,500 Pounds (or more).

Usually the reason that Ford does not offer certain equipment or packages on base models, it they want customers to buy upgraded vehicles because the profit margin is greater.

You can take the Base Bronco and get a really good hitch welded or bolted to the channel frame, and it will be just as good as the very expensive Broncos. It is possible that a base model could have a higher towing capacity because the vehicle is lighter, lacking all the extra equipment of the higher priced models.

Wiring is also easily installed by the hitch companies. The wiring harness plug for the hitch is usually there in the back of the vehicle when it is built.

Advertisement

Diode Dynamics

Advertisement