Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hello Texas Broncos!

When I ordered my Bronco I did not select the towing package and now I am in need of that capability. Has anyone used an aftermarket kit, and if so how is it?

Or is my only option to buy the equipment directly from Ford?

Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Phil B

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OP
OP
JRICH7272

JRICH7272

Base
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks! I am looking at the Curt trailer hitch, the wiring seems to be my biggest issue. I have never installed a wiring harness, so a little nervous. Just trying to make sure I get the correct pieces I need.

Phil B

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Sponsored

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just ordered the ford hitch and bolts from Ruxer ford. It was about $210 shipped for the parts.

I also ordered the lumen kit from ford:
https://accessories.ford.com/products/trailer-hitch-wiring-harness-4-7-pin-by-lumen

They currently have a 20% off coupon that take 20% off the parts and labor (if you select it). Labor comes out to be less that $100, so the parts and labor for the electronics is about $300

Total is $500ish so less than the $600 from the factory, for essentially the same setup.

My hitch should arrive tomorrow and I am scheduled to get the install done at the Ford dealership mid next week.

(I am installing the hitch since it should only take a few minutes)

Disciple Mike

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500, Bronco, 600RR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hello Texas Broncos!

When I ordered my Bronco I did not select the towing package and now I am in need of that capability. Has anyone used an aftermarket kit, and if so how is it?

Are you wanting to have the 7 pin connection or just 4 pin? As others have mentioned, Ford factory parts aren’t the only solution, but whatever harness you get, you’ll want to make sure you can mount the connector somewhere, preferably on the hitch. Far as harnesses go, personally I went with one from Tekonsha that allowed me to have a 7 pin connection. I then paired that with a Ford part that gave me both a 7 pin and 4 pin connection at the hitch, which is how it would come from the factory.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you wanting to have the 7 pin connection or just 4 pin? As others have mentioned, Ford factory parts aren’t the only solution, but whatever harness you get, you’ll want to make sure you can mount the connector somewhere, preferably on the hitch. Far as harnesses go, personally I went with one from Tekonsha that allowed me to have a 7 pin connection. I then paired that with a Ford part that gave me both a 7 pin and 4 pin connection at the hitch, which is how it would come from the factory.
What P/N was that?

Disciple Mike

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500, Bronco, 600RR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What P/N was that?
I’m assuming you mean the Ford part? ‎9U5Z-14489-MAA is the 7 pin/4 pin plug (not sure what to call it, but it’s the piece your trailer electrically and physically connects to) without the bracket. M2DZ-14666-B is with the bracket. I originally got this information from a couple of other posts on here, so I can’t take any credit.

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes! Waiting for that 2 door to ship!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
https://accessories.ford.com/products/trailer-hitch-wiring-harness-4-7-pin-by-lumen

I had my Dealer install this. I am still waiting for the hitch. I did plug it in and test it with my 7pin and 4pin yesterday just to make sure it worked. Looks just like factory. Showed up on the screen. Turned off the BLIS and autostart etc.

My dealership seems to have doubled prices on all the accessories. I wasn't paying $400 for the Ford hitch that I could get other places for $200 or from Curt for $120.

Tech said it was great. Install including all the FDRS programming took about an hour.

Sponsored

FDHog

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat FX4, 22 Road Glide ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did the Curt install. It's not hard. Just take your time routing the wire to the front. You can follow the brake lines or other wiring under the chassis. Zip ties are your friend. Use this connector.
Ford Bronco Aftermarket Towing Package / Kit? Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 8.35.49 AM

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My dealership seems to have doubled prices on all the accessories. I wasn't paying $400 for the Ford hitch that I could get other places for $200 or from Curt for $120.
Ford sells the hitch as a kit with the bolts and a plate for the 4-7 pin connector for $420. You can buy the hitch and bolts individually for about $200. The 4-7 pin plate looks like it is included with the lumen kit.

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes! Waiting for that 2 door to ship!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford sells the hitch as a kit with the bolts and a plate for the 4-7 pin connector for $420. You can buy the hitch and bolts individually for about $200. The 4-7 pin plate looks like it is included with the lumen kit.

I thought I had bought an original Ford hitch online. But it didn't show up on tracking after they "shipped" it a couple weeks ago. It was like $189 I think. Dunno if it had the bolts. I've seen the Curt one for like $129. I wouldn't buy one of those Amazon no name brand hitches for $50. I am heading to the Bronco Stampede in Pigeon Forge this weekend. If I don't find one there I will search around and order one next week. I really want the thicker Raptor hitch. But not paying that Raptor tax for my 2dr.

The Lumen included two plates to mount the 4/7 pin. One goes on the Ford mount in the factory position. The other piggybacks with 2 of the bolts through the frame to accommodate aftermarket hitches like the Lumen.

Gotta say I am really impressed with the Lumen wiring set. I was upset when Ford magically removed my trailer hitch after one of my model year re-orders and wouldn't allow it to be added back. I got the short end of the stick all around with both of my Bronco builds.

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought I had bought an original Ford hitch online. But it didn't show up on tracking after they "shipped" it a couple weeks ago. It was like $189 I think. Dunno if it had the bolts. I've seen the Curt one for like $129. I wouldn't buy one of those Amazon no name brand hitches for $50. I am heading to the Bronco Stampede in Pigeon Forge this weekend. If I don't find one there I will search around and order one next week. I really want the thicker Raptor hitch. But not paying that Raptor tax for my 2dr.

The Lumen included two plates to mount the 4/7 pin. One goes on the Ford mount in the factory position. The other piggybacks with 2 of the bolts through the frame to accommodate aftermarket hitches like the Lumen.

Gotta say I am really impressed with the Lumen wiring set. I was upset when Ford magically removed my trailer hitch after one of my model year re-orders and wouldn't allow it to be added back. I got the short end of the stick all around with both of my Bronco builds.
I totally forgot about the Raptor hitch. I would have ordered that instead. It is about $100 more. I should get my hitch this afternoon. Probably will install early on Saturday morning before the asphalt starts melting.

SmokeSaves

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC, Chevy, Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello Texas Broncos!

I have a Ford OEM hitch and wiring harness still in the box I have been meaning to put on the classifieds here but never get around to it. Make me a reasonable offer and it could be yours (Or anyone reading this that wants the OEM stuff)
Sponsored