First Name
Vahe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hello friends, I know how terrible the Bronco's interior lightning is, and this is not the first thread about it. So I got Lights from @IAG Performance , but I didn't like the way how they operated, so by their instructions you need to connect them to the door opening "sensor" wire and if you want you can hook them up to up-fitters. I found a way to make them work in conjunction with OEM lights Since we can't just attach those additional lights to the OEM lights by parallel connection. But we can use OEM lights as a signal to turn on the additional lights in a synchrony way. Initially I was thinking about relaying with a LDR sensor activation, but found an easy and much much less power consumption way by using a Transistor IRFP 9140, this is a P-Channel transistor. I will attach below the simpliest scheme to connect it to the back Dome light.
Ford Bronco Transistor IRFP 9140 Mosfet for interior lights IMG_5274.PNG

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 11.20.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 11.19.23 PM.png

Sponsored

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice work! Thanks for sharing.
I assume it was it easier to run to the rear dome?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, what about the front dome light?

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This got me to thinking where the lights should be tied into. The rear dome is good, but if someone in the back seat turns on the dome, wont it light up all four lights?
Maybe tie the rear lights to the rear dome, and the front lights to the front dome?

OP
OP
drvahe

drvahe

Wildtrak
First Name
Vahe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nice work! Thanks for sharing.
I assume it was it easier to run to the rear dome?
@redone17
Welcome! Yes it was super easy to route them to the rear dome, so was testing with 4 lights and I didn't like it, front of the car has enough light for me that's why I just used 2 of those IAG lights, but if you want all 4 of course it's better to wire them to the front dome lights so it will work with front OEM dome lights.

Sponsored

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@redone17
Welcome! Yes it was super easy to route them to the rear dome, so was testing with 4 lights and I didn't like it, front of the car has enough light for me that's why I just used 2 of those IAG lights, but if you want all 4 of course it's better to wire them to the front dome lights so it will work with front OEM dome lights.
Using this, I think I will divide my lighting into 3 zones, front off of the front dome, rear off the rear dome, and the cargo area driven by the light in the cargo area.

I owe you a beverage of your choice sir!

BroncoRob_Reignited

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 m240i Convertible, 2021 Bronco (pending)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello friends, I know how terrible the Bronco's interior lightning is, and this is not the first thread about it. So I got Lights from @IAG Performance , but I didn't like the way how they operated, so by their instructions you need to connect them to the door opening "sensor" wire and if you want you can hook them up to up-fitters. I found a way to make them work in conjunction with OEM lights Since we can't just attach those additional lights to the OEM lights by parallel connection. But we can use OEM lights as a signal to turn on the additional lights in a synchrony way. Initially I was thinking about relaying with a LDR sensor activation, but found an easy and much much less power consumption way by using a Transistor IRFP 9140, this is a P-Channel transistor. I will attach below the simpliest scheme to connect it to the back Dome light.
Ford Bronco Transistor IRFP 9140 Mosfet for interior lights Untitled Project

Shout out to Ltjb8 for getting me here and thank you drvahe for this post; it's exactly what I was looking for. I bought the same kit and was very disappointed to find it disconnected from the interior factory light functions. Thanks and Kudos for figuring this out for everyone.

Now to order some electronics! Haven't had this much fun since I dicked around in a RadioShack back in the 90's building my own cable descrambler...

OP
OP
drvahe

drvahe

Wildtrak
First Name
Vahe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Shout out to Ltjb8 for getting me here and thank you drvahe for this post; it's exactly what I was looking for. I bought the same kit and was very disappointed to find it disconnected from the interior factory light functions. Thanks and Kudos for figuring this out for everyone.

Now to order some electronics! Haven't had this much fun since I dicked around in a RadioShack back in the 90's building my own cable descrambler...
Sure, ask if any questions

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you add the bypass diode or is it integral with the 9140 package?

Sponsored

BroncoRob_Reignited

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you add the bypass diode or is it integral with the 9140 package?
The diods are the LEDs on his simplified diagram. Where the purple line goes to on the board is where he soldered onto in order to pick up the change in state.

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What was wrong with the way the instructions told you to connect it? I have these lights and don’t understand if I should be worried.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The diods are the LEDs on his simplified diagram. Where the purple line goes to on the board is where he soldered onto in order to pick up the change in state.
There's a diode from the source to the drain. Is that integral to the package or did you add it?

BroncoRob_Reignited

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What was wrong with the way the instructions told you to connect it? I have these lights and don’t understand if I should be worried.
There's nothing wrong with installing per instructions that came with the lights; however, this mod allows you to use your interior light switch to turn the lights on and off rather than needing to open the door or install a secondary switch.

I'm very pleased with the install using this mod as I can turn on all interior lights with the switch above the rearview mirror.

One think to note, I couldn't find an IRFP 1940 transistor, so I substituted another. As long as it's a P-type and within the voltage/amperage range of use, it'll work. I think the transistor I got was rated up to 70V rather than 12V.

BroncoRob_Reignited

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's a diode from the source to the drain. Is that integral to the package or did you add it?
I can't tell if you're trolling or are confused...

Ford Bronco Transistor IRFP 9140 Mosfet for interior lights Screenshot_20230430_024525_Chrome~2

Inside the red box is the transistor. There are no additional diodes... Inside the green box is the rear dome light circuit board. I did make a mistake in my previous post, but it doesn't affect how you connect it. I dont think the diodes on the circuit board are not LEDs, else the symbol would have a couple arrows coming out to indicate light emitting. Those must be the diodes on the circuit board prior to the LED.

Anyway- just connect a lead where the purple line is on the circuit board to the G on the transistor. Yellow wire in harness to S and run D to the new LED lights. Pretty easy tbh.
Sponsored