Sponsored

Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove?

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That's some crazy stuff!!! I saw you said you were taking it easy but, maybe our throttle modulation (taking it easy) has two different meaning... It sure looks like some hard hits! Hope it's a rental.... LOL
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The more I look at this mess the more I think to just cut it in 1/2 & unbolt the frame side when my Bronco arrives & test it. I would leave the frame brackets until I felt comfortable there wasn't any shimmy, then cut it clean off. If worst case I could just weld the 2 sections back together.

Hey @ Flip, do you happen to have a part number / price for the cross member just incase? šŸ˜¬
pxl_20220516_231449121-jpg.jpg

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am amazed by everything hanging under these things...obviously the designers/engineers at Ford have no idea what happens off-road...

OP
OP
VoltageDrop

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The more I look at this mess the more I think to just cut it in 1/2 & unbolt the frame side when my Bronco arrives & test it. I would leave the frame brackets until I felt comfortable there wasn't any shimmy, then cut it clean off. If worst case I could just weld the 2 sections back together.

Hey @ Flip, do you happen to have a part number / price for the cross member just incase? šŸ˜¬
Ford Bronco Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove? pxl_20220516_231449121-
I don't think your tag worked so let me page @flip again. Maybe a 2.3L xmember would work so you have a reversion plan? Flip, is the 2.3 automatic devoid of these braces or is it just the 7MT? If so, is the rubber transmission mount the same between the two engines? I'm OK with the sawzall method but if there's a cheap bolt-on option then I'm game since it would look less conspicuous for future warranty work. I'm afraid those frame brackets need to go, too.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think your tag worked so let me page @flip again. Maybe a 2.3L xmember would work so you have a reversion plan? Flip, is the 2.3 automatic devoid of these braces or is it just the 7MT? If so, is the rubber transmission mount the same between the two engines? I'm OK with the sawzall method but if there's a cheap bolt-on option then I'm game since it would look less conspicuous for future warranty work. I'm afraid those frame brackets need to go, too.
4D 2.3 wit under body protection
Ford Bronco Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove? 1654255991533

2D 2.3 w/o under body
Ford Bronco Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove? 1654256126024

Only serviced with the whole frame assembly.
Ford Bronco Transmission crossmember braces - improve or remove? 1654256211648

RB goes to MB3Z-5005-BN

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for fixing the tag ;)

I don't think I would bother with ordering the 2.3 cross member due to you still have the frame brackets hanging down that the 2.3 does not, shouting something's missing here :unsure: . If no issues without the support brackets (post sawzall) then I would use a cutting wheel to remove the brackets from the frame, which looks like it wouldn't take much.
As far as warranty, I think they would have a hard time if the trans mount on the cross member had no signs of deterioration, as these are just braces and not supports. But that has never stopped warranty denials before. Magnuson-Moss be dammed :cautious:.

Oceanfabreze

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
4D 2.3 wit under body protection

2D 2.3 w/o under body

Only serviced with the whole frame assembly.

RB goes to MB3Z-5005-BN
Where are people finding these drawings? I've seen quite a few in various threads.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a half baked idea in my head to replace these. but like others Iā€™m not in a rush to cut my Bronco up. But they get hung up on everything!!

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The consensus seems to be these are completely unnecessary and they do nothing?
Depends, I don't think they are needed for strength. They seem to get tons of trail damage so I believe they are more of a semi skid/slider that I would not get rid of without putting another skid there.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depends, I don't think they are needed for strength. They seem to get tons of trail damage so I believe they are more of a semi skid/slider that I would not get rid of without putting another skid there.
Yep, I assure you the engineers didnā€™t put those there because they ā€œdo nothingā€.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So they put them for what reason?
Yep, I assure you the engineers didnā€™t put those there because they ā€œdo nothingā€.
I donā€™t know
I think since most people arenā€™t structural engineers they donā€™t do anything if value

itā€™s like the sway bars
Ford only puts them because they cost money and the more it costs the more you can charge!

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So they put them for what reason?

I donā€™t know
I think since most people arenā€™t structural engineers they donā€™t do anything if value

itā€™s like the sway bars
Ford only puts them because they cost money and the more it costs the more you can charge!
ya think?
Sponsored