Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm pretty sure I don't have a windshield issue, but you gave me an idea. I'm going to put tape over the gap between the windshield and targa, where the rubber seal is and see if it makes a difference. The thought is the gap may be causing turbulence

I notice behind the windshield seal there is a second rubber seal that does not touch the targa panel. Maybe with the soft top this second seal is making contact reducing the noise. While the overall ambient noise level is less with the TOR top, I'm definitely hearing more wind noise coming from this area than with the soft top at 50+ mph. Its probably more noticable because my base all season tires have virtually no road noise, the wind noise is all I hear.
Please let us know how it goes with the tape. If that is the reasoning (with the second rubber seal) I wonder if it's an easy fix with another piece of weatherstripping or something placed in there. Or is that gap needed to help water channel off the roof?
Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, yet another (very) happy TOR Hardtop customer! I received my hardtop on Friday and can't say enough good things about both the product and customer service from the Turn Off Road crew. Todd and company answered my endless questions and provided more direct status updates on my order in 3 months than the other guys did over the course of a year. They have my full confidence going forward and they'll be the first place I look for any of my future upgrade needs.

Most things have been covered by this point, but here's a few additional thoughts:
  • Everything is EXTREMELY well packed and protected.
  • I know the slant/square back debate is personal preference, but damn does this top look good. It finally looks like a Bronco from the rear.
  • It's been raining nonstop here in the lovely PNW since install and the top has been bone dry and quiet.
  • No wind noise or whistling at all.
  • The glue smell is real, but I can tell it's diminishing.
  • During install I found the upper/forward holes in hardtop were nowhere near being in alignment with the rollbar bracket on my vehicle. To get everything aligned I removed the top, loosened both bolts on each bracket, put the top in place with all hardtop bolts loosely installed, fully tightened down the forward rollbar bolt, then removed all the hardtop bolts, slid the top back and tightened the rear rollbar bracket bolt. With the bracket correctly aligned on the rollbar the top then installed perfectly, with everything in alignment.
  • It was easier to lift the hardtop into place than it was to lift the soft top off.
  • I had a bit of a squeak from one of the latches after install. I tightened that latch one more turn and the squeak is gone.
  • The latches are almost invisible in daily use, anybody not buying this top because they aren't fancy should reasses their priorities.

• The only negative I have is the first night the hardtop was on it rained lightly and that glossy coating ran all over the place, leaving an uneven milky film all over the windows and sides. It took a considerable amount of washing, rinsing and scrubbing to get it all off.
Overall, an absolutely outstanding product with customer service to match. Thanks @Turn Offroad !
Wow this top looks good on your red Bronco. I had the same issue with the top mounting bolts, and like you loosening up the mounting plate bolts did the trick. Like most things, I think it is a good idea to install all the mounting bolts before tightening down.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Please let us know how it goes with the tape. If that is the reasoning (with the second rubber seal) I wonder if it's an easy fix with another piece of weatherstripping or something placed in there. Or is that gap needed to help water channel off the roof?
I don't think there is a good way to mitigate the gap if it turns out to be causing noise. One possibility is a strip of foam or similair between the two rubber seals (top of windshield). This would be invisible and perhaps cut down the sound.

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another quick update: I know it's been said before to "check your bolts" to ensure they are tight, but for whatever reason, I was hearing a slight rattling sound above my head. I reached up, and the bolt above the drivers side was super loose. When I re-tightened it a couple weeks back, it was definitely snug (not over tight), but couldn't be backed-off by hand. Today it was very loose. I popped off the targa top and both sides needed to be re-tightened again.

Not sure if this is a common issue or not, but if it happens again I plan on adding some blue thread locker.

Something to keep an eye open for.

kingcon99

Base
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I realize I never responded above. Mine looks just like these photos, indented, no tears.

I'm also trying to hunt down a rattle that sounds like the top rattling, but I think it might just be crap under my goose gear floor. Stay tuned.
Any luck on identifying the rattling? I too hear a deep rattle when going over certain bumps, though not consistently. Mine sounds like the rear and I can't seem to isolate anything in my drawers or anything so I assume it's the top.

Sponsored

kingcon99

Base
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't think there is a good way to mitigate the gap if it turns out to be causing noise. One possibility is a strip of foam or similair between the two rubber seals (top of windshield). This would be invisible and perhaps cut down the sound.
I've also got a decent amount of wind noise, in fact I got a whistle from the drivers side corner today in particularly rough cross winds. And my latches are tightened down a lot; I'm wondering if I went overboard on the tightening.

I also see the same indentations in the weather stripping in the back hinge windhsield.

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any luck on identifying the rattling? I too hear a deep rattle when going over certain bumps, though not consistently. Mine sounds like the rear and I can't seem to isolate anything in my drawers or anything so I assume it's the top.
Is it a rattle, or a creaking sound? If you're able to get some sound clips of it, that would be helpful. Maybe put your phone back there while you drive or something.

kingcon99

Base
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is it a rattle, or a creaking sound? If you're able to get some sound clips of it, that would be helpful. Maybe put your phone back there while you drive or something.
Good idea, i'll try that on my way home today.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, my bolts are fairly tight, though I've not checked the ones under the targa. To me it "sounds" like the rear glass is wiggling.

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, my bolts are fairly tight, though I've not checked the ones under the targa. To me it "sounds" like the rear glass is wiggling.
I tried driving down a quiet road (no traffic) with the rear glass hatch open for a few metres a couple weeks back, and found the noise I had was still occurring. That eliminated the issue being the glass and the weatherstripping being the issue.

I would try to adjust the hard top bolts in the back though - They may be too tight, and causing an issue.

Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tried driving down a quiet road (no traffic) with the rear glass hatch open for a few metres a couple weeks back, and found the noise I had was still occurring. That eliminated the issue being the glass and the weatherstripping being the issue.

I would try to adjust the hard top bolts in the back though - They may be too tight, and causing an issue.
I'll give that a shot. I've also got some RockworkX bolts on the way, so it'll just be hand tight going forward.

kingcon99

Base
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's a perfect way of describing what I'm hearing as well, I couldn't quite figure out what it sounded like but that's totally it. I will also check my rear bolts and the "hatch open" test when I can today. Thanks for the responses, both of you, I'll update if I find anything out!

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I notice behind the windshield seal there is a second rubber seal that does not touch the targa panel. Maybe with the soft top this second seal is making contact reducing the noise. While the overall ambient noise level is less with the TOR top, I'm definitely hearing more wind noise coming from this area than with the soft top at 50+ mph. Its probably more noticable because my base all season tires have virtually no road noise, the wind noise is all I hear.
So I checked wifes OEM top. The OEM does make contact on that 2nd seal. TOR top is molded just before it and doesn't use the 2nd seal. Not sure why, but you could try to put some additional rubber seal in there and see if it makes a difference. I have less wind noise than wife's OEM top so I'm not sure that solves the issue. I've done decibel readings on both, TOR and OEM are almost the same. However the TOR top is at a significant disadvantage because I'm in a Badlands with washout interior and after mkt exhaust while wife is in a Wildtrak with carpet and stock exhaust. At idle mine is 61.5 dB while her's is at 43.1dB!!! So my readings on the highway catch road noise in my BL and wind noise in her WT.

Last edited:

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just so everyone knows we are following along here but it is really hard to diagnose noises heard while driving!

In general we've noticed that it usually ends up being something simple or something unrelated to the hard top but we are more than happy to listen and learn!

First thoughts would be:

-Lube up all of your seals/ gaskets- This may sound odd but when the tailgate or rear window gaskets get dirty they make noise when the tailgate moves a bit over bumps.

-Check that the hardware is all properly tightened

-Put a moving blanket over suspect areas, if the tone changes it's likely coming from under the blanket (repeat with smaller and smaller areas until you've isolated the noise.

-If you still can't isolate the noise it never hurts to have a passenger ride in the back on listen while you replicate the noise.

If anyone has questions about anything specific please reach out to us!

Thanks!

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Rockworkx Hardtop Quick Removal Thumb Bolts (From Rockworkx):

Well, I just installed the @Rockworkx thumb bolts on my @Turn Offroad hard top, and I have to say, this is a great pairing!

These thumb bolts are amazing quality. They look awesome, and they feel great and very well made! They install in seconds, and I love the fact they have a wider base vs. the OEM (including MIC top) hard top bolts. It gives me a sense of better pressure distribution in holding the hard top down vs. having it all on a single small point (even with a washer) - Albeit, this might just be in my head. Plus you have the added benefit of having some extra tie down anchors. Plus since I'm OCD and have them lined up all facing one direction, I can tell at quick glance if any are coming loose and require re-tightening (although I don't suspect this will be an issue).

One thing to note: If you have the Turn Off Road hard top, you only need 6 bolts vs. the standard 8 bolts the MIC top uses. The solution is to buy Rockworkx Jeep pack of thumb bolts, as they come in a 6 pack and are the exact same size. Saves you a few bucks and you won't end up with 2 extra thumb bolts.

Here's some pictures of them, as well as compared to the regular bolts:

img_4995-jpeg.jpg

img_4996-jpeg.jpg

img_4997-jpeg.jpg

img_4998-jpeg.jpg

img_4999-jpeg.jpg
"Plus since I'm OCD and have them lined up all facing one direction," If you used a paint pen to index mark them you might be OCD+ ;). Honestly I was very very close to the same thing but my need for equal tension won out.
Sponsored