First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
well if you don’t care about peak numbers you’ll LOVE! the Ecoboost. Either v6 the 90+% of torque comes on at 2200 rpm and lasts all the way to Redline at around 7500

vs a N/A motor like the pentastar or even the 5.0 Coyote. Don’t kick90% till over 4000 rpm
For what I need it for a prefer normally aspirated in a gas engine. Dont like turbos offroad. Need a linear pedal and power flow. Pentastar work fine offroad. Coyote would be interesting. I dont need a POS turbo tuned for mpg and to gov regs.

Dave
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
For what I need it for a prefer normally aspirated in a gas engine. Dont like turbos offroad. Need a linear pedal and power flow. Pentastar work fine offroad. Coyote would be interesting. I dont need a POS turbo tuned for mpg and to gov regs.

Dave
And you don’t think N/A motors arnt soft tuned for mpg? And n/A motors have VVT so not 100% linear.

and good luck finding a N/A motor with 300+lbft that’s not a diesel

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And you don’t think N/A motors arnt soft tuned for mpg? And n/A motors have VVT so not 100% linear.

and good luck finding a N/A motor with 300+lbft that’s not a diesel
the 5.0 and 7.3 would like a chat, as would any V8 (granted, I know we arent getting an 8, but there are plenty out there.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
the 5.0 and 7.3 would like a chat, as would any V8 (granted, I know we arent getting an 8, but there are plenty out there.
well duh on that one. V8 never gonna happen. More and more v8s are being phased out. Thanks to emissions regulations

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
well duh on that one. V8 never gonna happen. More and more v8s are being phased out. Thanks to emissions regulations
well, ok, also straight 6's can hit that easy enough. and a V6 with a bit of work could as well

Sponsored

Dave2002ti

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not for US emissions but for Cali emissions and mpg regs. I dont see the Bronco outweighing my current 2012 Grand Cherokee so depending on the gearing and the hp and torque curves 300+ ft lbs of torque really isnt needed. I dont tow and will never tow with it. Again its the area under the curves even for track days and racing. Peak numbers are for bragging rights. I used to own a VW Rabbit with a Oettinger 16v kit and 1.6 liters and 70 911S and I like peaky for certain uses but not for offroad work and getting tthrough mud, slop, puddles and snow.

Dave

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not for US emissions but for Cali emissions and mpg regs. I dont see the Bronco outweighing my current 2012 Grand Cherokee so depending on the gearing and the hp and torque curves 300+ ft lbs of torque really isnt needed. I dont tow and will never tow with it. Again its the area under the curves even for track days and racing. Peak numbers are for bragging rights. I used to own a VW Rabbit with a Oettinger 16v kit and 1.6 liters and 70 911S and I like peaky for certain uses but not for offroad work and getting tthrough mud, slop, puddles and snow.

Dave
not just California, Europe and China too. So auto makers arnt going to make cars for just part of the world

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
well, ok, also straight 6's can hit that easy enough. and a V6 with a bit of work could as well
Man, I would love a straight 6 turbo!

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
It isn't front wheel drive ...

I think you meant longitudinally.

And they fit an inline 5 3.2L in a bunch of stuff. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch.
i meant transversely. Ford isnt going to make a motor JUST for a hand full of cars. (Hence why they killed off the Barra)

The only vehicles that a i6t would fit in would be

1 Mustang (it would have to be weaker than the 5.0 enough to justify it)
2 F series (would replace 3.5)
3 Transit

that’s about it. Simply no need.
I would LOVE IT (modern barra 2.7L I6T with 380/380) but it ain’t gonna happen with the 3.0 and 3.5 running around

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Need a linear pedal and power flow. Pentastar work fine offroad. Coyote would be interesting.

I like peaky for certain uses but not for offroad work and getting tthrough mud, slop, puddles and snow
This is interesting to me. I had my heart set on a Coyote for my F150, but after driving both I bought the 2.7EB because it felt like what you want above.. linear power flow and I know you said you don't really need much torque but the EB has ample and comforting torque from the bottom as a bonus.

The 5.0 felt more "peaky" like it needed to wind up a bit before the fun happened.

The EB felt like what I expected the V8 to feel like and the V8 felt like what I expected the EB to feel like. It was an eye-opener for me.

I had the dealer get 2 identical trucks, same cab, rear end, trans everything with just the 2 different motors so I could compare apples to apples.

It is interesting how after driving them you came up with a completely opposite opinion. I guess that is why Ford offers options!

Last edited:

PAPA old school

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 bronco. 2018 chevy z71
Your Bronco Model
Base
just ordered 6 grand of addons for my v8 jeep!!! tired of waiting!!!! And it's time for an upgrade of my daily drivers

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm tired of waiting too.

I might actually have to change the oil in my jeep.

I was hoping I could part it out before then.
Sponsored