Sponsored

Update: 3rd Differential lasts 2 months New Front Differential Implodes in 2 miles

OP
OP
Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As you said, if nothing is wrong then nothing gets repaired. But if there is a potential problem I would rather know what potential issues it could be from and know where to start looking. Obvious issues aside I would have the TSB to discuss with the dealership. Without it I am in the dark and the dealership has the upper hand. This is not my first rodeo with a new vehicles and having issues (Chysler, Isuzu, VW and now Ford again).
I think they should be issuing a TSB for the differential and seal leak, maybe its a matter of still trying to determine how many Broncos are impacted and from which plant or build dates, etc…it can’t be easy to sort out until they start seeing lots of these issues. Honestly I would not have noticed the first leak if I was not changing my oil.
Sponsored

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes I am glad it happened right away. I checked in on it today, and they have a new from differential ordered so far. I am kind of worried about where the drive shaft connects to it. I was assured everything would be inspected and any parts needed would be ordered under warranty.

I am waiting to hear what happened, right now their are working under the assumption that it was a defective part from the manufacturer.

I called Ford customer service and they were pretty much useless, all they wanted to know is if I wanted to request a repurchase and go through that process. I asked about extending the warranty and I was told nobody at Ford Corp could do that. I don’t know if this is true or not. But I have to say it really is not a good feeling to be dealing with this at 8k miles after waiting 3 years and wondering when the next issue is going to happen.

Honestly going 50mph and having the Bronco buck like that was very unsettling, it could have been worse had I been going faster, thank goodness for LA traffic I guess.

To me this is a safety issue and more importantly a trust in the Bronco issue, like if I can’t have it run on paved roads without issues, am I going to feel comfortable wheeling again with lockers on wondering if I am going to get stranded deep on a trail?

I mean just look at the threads with people having this issue with the front differential, how is this not a manufacturing part issue?

I had a new in the crate differential shipped and installed and it failed. Unbelievable, not even a TSB about the leak.
They can’t extend the warranty, but they can and do offer ESP service plans. You have to ask, they won’t just give it to you.

retiredarmymp

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the leaking front differential and they just replaced the seal. I haven’t had a problem since.

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Your issue sounds a lot like when my 2013 platinum SCREW 4x4 had an issue with an IWE vacuum leak that resulted in the truck tying to engage 4L at 55mph…made a hell of a racket, grinding/squealing, sounded like a front wheel had come off and I was driving on the rotor…good luck!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had the leaking front differential and they just replaced the seal. I haven’t had a problem since.
How bad typically is the leak? Just a weeping or something more substantial? All my other older 4x4s leak to various degrees, so I guess I'm use to it.

Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your issue sounds a lot like when my 2013 platinum SCREW 4x4 had an issue with an IWE vacuum leak that resulted in the truck tying to engage 4L at 55mph…made a hell of a racket, grinding/squealing, sounded like a front wheel had come off and I was driving on the rotor…good luck!
Your truck wasn't trying to engage 4L, IWE (integrated wheel end) with no vacuum was trying to engage the hub. It's a common issue and an easy fix and not too pricey.

To the OP, I don't know why they didn't just re-seal your existing front diff. The one they put in that grenaded, it was probably messed up from the get go, aka manufacturer defect like they said. They will get the new one in, see about any other damages caused by this incident and that should be the end of it. I think your over thinking this whole thing.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your truck wasn't trying to engage 4L, IWE (integrated wheel end) with no vacuum was trying to engage the hub. It's a common issue and an easy fix and not too pricey.
Fighting the IWE issue on my F150 right now. Replaced the check valve and solenoid but noise is still there. Hubs were replaced about 6 months ago as well. Going to tear back into this afternoon and try and get it figured out.

OP, sorry about your bad luck and hope you get it sorted out.

615_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2D BL, SAS, MT, & 2015 F-350 DRW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How bad typically is the leak? Just a weeping or something more substantial? All my other older 4x4s leak to various degrees, so I guess I'm use to it.
Not much, I went a month or two and 3-4 thousand miles and only put roughly 2 oz in it twice.
Easy to spot too if you have a skid there.

Last edited:

retiredarmymp

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It formed a drop on the bottom of the differential but I never had any drip onto my garage floor

Ctholl

Black Diamond
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk wrangler (bronco on order)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Fixed the leak boss, drained all the fluid out... She won't leak another drop boss

Last edited:

Sponsored

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes I am glad it happened right away. I checked in on it today, and they have a new from differential ordered so far. I am kind of worried about where the drive shaft connects to it. I was assured everything would be inspected and any parts needed would be ordered under warranty.

I am waiting to hear what happened, right now their are working under the assumption that it was a defective part from the manufacturer.

I called Ford customer service and they were pretty much useless, all they wanted to know is if I wanted to request a repurchase and go through that process. I asked about extending the warranty and I was told nobody at Ford Corp could do that. I don’t know if this is true or not. But I have to say it really is not a good feeling to be dealing with this at 8k miles after waiting 3 years and wondering when the next issue is going to happen.

Honestly going 50mph and having the Bronco buck like that was very unsettling, it could have been worse had I been going faster, thank goodness for LA traffic I guess.

To me this is a safety issue and more importantly a trust in the Bronco issue, like if I can’t have it run on paved roads without issues, am I going to feel comfortable wheeling again with lockers on wondering if I am going to get stranded deep on a trail?

I mean just look at the threads with people having this issue with the front differential, how is this not a manufacturing part issue?

I had a new in the crate differential shipped and installed and it failed. Unbelievable, not even a TSB about the leak.
9 years ago my new Chrysler 300 developed a dash panel short that took out all the gauges. Unfortunately, my model (Varvatos) used a specific instrument cluster that was not available and not interchangeable with a standard 300. After 9 weeks in a rental car due to no gauges, I asked about a repurchase agreement. They started the paperwork and agreed to refund essentially 100% of the initial purchase price. I agreed and the process started. Before the actual repurchase happened, the part arrived, was installed and all was well. I called Chrysler and told them I liked my car, just didn't want to screw myself once the warranty expires. I'd keep my car and waive the repurchase if they'd give me the 7/125k extended bumper to bumper warranty. Nope, I was surprised to hear. So instead of a 2k warranty, they paid me 44k for a year old car.

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think they do have fluid in there from warehouse unless whoever fills it missed one. I had a transfer case on Raptor pickup replaced at 5500 miles and I remember the first one was sent back cause the fluid had all spilled out inside crate it was sent in.

I am not sure, but I believe they ship from the warehouse with it, I would think it would be checked. Let’s see what their investigation finds

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hopefully it gets resolved soon enough.
Mistakes can happen of course. My 22 Silverado was leaking transmission fluid from the factory, and a shop once installed a replacement control arm on the wrong side of my Dodge -- no idea how they got the bolts to line up.

OP
OP
Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

To the OP, I don't know why they didn't just re-seal your existing front diff. The one they put in that grenaded, it was probably messed up from the get go, aka manufacturer defect like they said. They will get the new one in, see about any other damages caused by this incident and that should be the end of it. I think your over thinking this whole thing.
That is what I am hoping, haven’t heard back yet, but I know they ordered a new diff on Friday.

In terms of why they didn’t just replace the seals, it was leaking in a few places and they follow Ford guidance on testing. Perhaps Ford is seeing return visits for people that have similar problems as well.

OP
OP
Gotchaa

Gotchaa

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Got the second front differential installed, went over the install with shop foreman and tech while on the rack. They checked the oil, drained and refilled it from the factory to be sure. No issues with the transfer case or drive shaft.

Set it to Sport and drive it home. Upon pulling into the driveway smoke smell coming in through AC, opened hood and looked like burn white smoke coming near the exhaust area.

I am hoping this is just a new diff burn off from any spill that may have been there from the change.

On the rack I didn’t not see any residue so who knows.

Going to keep it in sport mode and see if it burns itself off eventually.

Good news is it hasn’t imploded yet :)
Sponsored