Sponsored

UPDATE PSA: Make sure to add a spacer to RCI trans skid IF you are running Icon Stage 3+ Suspension

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

UPDATE PSA: If you are running the Icon Stage 3+ suspension kits they have a sway bar relocation bracket spacer added on the swaybar mount which means that you need to drop the RCI plate further with spacers to provide enough clearance or your s will end up looking like mine. Easy fix and RCI was great with their customer service along the way..

[Original Post]
Have you ever seen this? As you can see, the sway bar hydraulic valve block is grinding away the RCI aluminum trans skid from the top down and has removed a large amount of skid. It's just a matter of time before it eats all the way through the skid.

Disregard the fluids on the skid and sway bar; the transmission has a leak and Ford is fixing it on Monday after waiting weeks for parts.

Thanks for your insights!

Ford Bronco UPDATE PSA: Make sure to add a spacer to RCI trans skid IF you are running Icon Stage 3+ Suspension trans-skid-1

Ford Bronco UPDATE PSA: Make sure to add a spacer to RCI trans skid IF you are running Icon Stage 3+ Suspension trans-skid-upclose

Ford Bronco UPDATE PSA: Make sure to add a spacer to RCI trans skid IF you are running Icon Stage 3+ Suspension sway-bar
Sponsored

Last edited:

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, first I have heard of this. The obvious question is whether your skid had been impacted enough to push it in to the point that the rubbing is occurring. Is this possible?

OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, first I have heard of this. The obvious question is whether your skid had been impacted enough to push it in to the point that the rubbing is occurring. Is this possible?
I do wheel often but theres not even marking on the underside. My guess is RCIs design doesn't allow enough clearance for the swsy bar block. They may have even
Mocked this up in a non-squatch with out sway bar. They wouldn't be the first to miss something in early aftermarket Bronco dev on a non-squatch and finding out later.

Likely many may have this issue but have no idea because they never pull and inspect their skids unless they change their own oil or like in my case have a trans leak.

I emailed RCI and will see what they say. They may not be aware either and I may just be the canary in the coal mine.

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do wheel often but theres not even marking on the underside. My guess is RCIs design doesn't allow enough clearance for the swsy bar block. They may have even
Mocked this up in a non-squatch with out sway bar. They wouldn't be the first to miss something in early aftermarket Bronco dev on a non-squatch and finding out later.

Likely many may have this issue but have no idea because they never pull and inspect their skids unless they change their own oil or like in my case have a trans leak.

I emailed RCI and will see what they say. They may not be aware either and I may just be the canary in the coal mine.
Very possible that RCI designed it on a Bronco without the sway bar, hence the issue you are experiencing. I will be interesting to see what RCI responds with. Keep us posted.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The easy solution involves 2x4s and a hammer. The even easier solution is to do nothing since it seems to be clearancing itself haha

Sponsored
OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The easy solution involves 2x4s and a hammer. The even easier solution is to do nothing since it seems to be clearancing itself haha
right? Created its own “relief” lol

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So anyone with a badlands should worry about ground clearance and this rotating valve body. Good thing it looks higher then the curbs at the mall or id be in trouble.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As others stated , probably wasn’t designed for the electric disconnect. Maybe add a washer between the skid plate and frame so no more damage to the disconnect.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm using the Mabett trans skid and it might hang down a little lower because I was able to keep the hoop of the original sway bar skid. If you could squeeze that back in there it would help.

OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm using the Mabett trans skid and it might hang down a little lower because I was able to keep the hoop of the original sway bar skid. If you could squeeze that back in there it would help.
yeah no room to leave the hoop.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like RCI did design this for a Bronco with sway bar disconnect since there is one in this picture from the install instructions.

7DCBBE7C-22A1-46C7-9022-73001BABF5C0.jpeg

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would also make sure your swaybar assembly is tight. It looks as if there’s been movement between the two.

OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would also make sure your swaybar assembly is tight. It looks as if there’s been movement between the two.
thanks great advice. It seems solidly in place but Ill recheck everything.

OP
OP
DangerMTBBronco

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)