First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I’ve installed OEM tail lights on my base model, so far no issues other than a slight flicker. I’ve been trying to research to see if maybe a resistor would help? But I can’t find specs to order the right ones to try it, anyone else end up trying?
Sponsored

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So...dumb question,

BUT what the hell is the actual difference between BASE and Signature LED lighting? My order (Badlands) got a $500 base LED light credit. I assume I won't be getting signature headlights and now base, correct? So what exactly am I missing out on? Are there any visual pictures of the difference?

BamaBronco98

Base
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I’ve installed OEM tail lights on my base model, so far no issues other than a slight flicker. I’ve been trying to research to see if maybe a resistor would help? But I can’t find specs to order the right ones to try it, anyone else end up trying?
Hey, I had been debating an upgrade for months, and thanks to your post, decided to give it a shot. I purchased a set of OEM LED tail lights and installed them on my base model a few days ago. I have no flicker and did not use any resistors.

The only thing I did was to make two Forscan changes. I disabled the Rear Bulb Turn Outage and the Rear Stop Bulb Outage. No amber turn signal is not a big deal given the overall massive improvement in performance and looks. The LED ones are SO much brighter than the weak halogen ones.

Ford Bronco Upgrading from base tail lights to OBX LED Taillights Questions 20230423_150707

Ford Bronco Upgrading from base tail lights to OBX LED Taillights Questions 20230423_154926

Ford Bronco Upgrading from base tail lights to OBX LED Taillights Questions 20230423_205100

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blueberry OJ

Big Bend
First Name
Giancarlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco big bend 4D Non-sas, 2016 F150 3.5l EB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey, I had been debating an upgrade for months, and thanks to your post, decided to give it a shot. I purchased a set of OEM LED tail lights and installed them on my base model a few days ago. I have no flicker and did not use any resistors.

The only thing I did was to make two Forscan changes. I disabled the Rear Bulb Turn Outage and the Rear Stop Bulb Outage. No amber turn signal is not a big deal given the overall massive improvement in performance and looks. The LED ones are SO much brighter than the weak halogen ones.

Ford Bronco Upgrading from base tail lights to OBX LED Taillights Questions 20230423_205100

How have these been working? Do they work consistently? I have these in place of halogen lights and they work minus a few things. Mainly it's the right light that doesn't fully work consistently. For example when I hit the brake the right one won't illuminate. Sometimes turn signal won't turn on. And when I lock the vehicle the right one won't flash like the left. You having any if these problems?

IMG_20230506_120251_413.jpg

BamaBronco98

Base
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
How have these been working? Do they work consistently? I have these in place of halogen lights and they work minus a few things. Mainly it's the right light that doesn't fully work consistently. For example when I hit the brake the right one won't illuminate. Sometimes turn signal won't turn on. And when I lock the vehicle the right one won't flash like the left. You having any if these problems?

Ford Bronco Upgrading from base tail lights to OBX LED Taillights Questions IMG_20230506_120251_413
So far, so good. I half expected there to be a problem by now, but working perfectly the past few weeks. Just curious - did you make the two Forscan changes?

gringoloco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

This is great news! Did you try running them without the Forscan tweaks? I have a set and was planning on using resistors to defeat the quick flash and any associated indications.

BamaBronco98

Base
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is great news! Did you try running them without the Forscan tweaks? I have a set and was planning on using resistors to defeat the quick flash and any associated indications.
No, I made the Forscan changes before installation. Figured that I would avoid any potential problems this way.

I initially got Forscan to change the tire size, but it sure has come in handy with the tail lights and turning off various annoying factory settings. It's surprisingly easy to use, especially with all of the great Youtube instructional videos and posts on here.

BamaBronco98

Base
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

For the record, I did notice a slight flicker with the running lights on today. More noticeable up close. When you walk back 8-10 feet, not so much. No flicker with the brake light.

Sponsored

Blueberry OJ

Big Bend
First Name
Giancarlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco big bend 4D Non-sas, 2016 F150 3.5l EB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So far, so good. I half expected there to be a problem by now, but working perfectly the past few weeks. Just curious - did you make the two Forscan changes?
No, no changes to forscan. Just added resistors but that did nothing. I bought a forscan tool, installed the software. Plugged it in the Bronco. Says basically cannot detect bronco. So I think I got a defective one, unfortunately.

gringoloco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For the record, I did notice a slight flicker with the running lights on today. More noticeable up close. When you walk back 8-10 feet, not so much. No flicker with the brake light.
Thanks for the update, I experienced the same. What I think we’re seeing with the flicker is pulse-width modulation, or PWM. I found the attached chart posted here on the forum which shows that the halogens are PWM and the LEDs are not.

As I understand, this rapid on/off switching is used to reduce power consumption and extend bulb filament life. Typically unnoticeable to the human eye on an incandescent bulb due to how slow the circuit reacts, it can cause visible flickering on LEDs which switch on/off more rapidly.

All that said, I wonder if telling the BCM that you’re using LED taillights via FORSCAN will turn off the PWM to the circuit. The other option I’ve considered is installing a capacitor across the leads to smooth the signal, which is used to great success in many PWM headlight LED conversions.

Ford Bronco Upgrading from base tail lights to OBX LED Taillights Questions IMG_8380

BamaBronco98

Base
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the update, I experienced the same. What I think we’re seeing with the flicker is pulse-width modulation, or PWM. I found the attached chart posted here on the forum which shows that the halogens are PWM and the LEDs are not.

As I understand, this rapid on/off switching is used to reduce power consumption and extend bulb filament life. Typically unnoticeable to the human eye on an incandescent bulb due to how slow the circuit reacts, it can cause visible flickering on LEDs which switch on/off more rapidly.

All that said, I wonder if telling the BCM that you’re using LED taillights via FORSCAN will turn off the PWM to the circuit. The other option I’ve considered is installing a capacitor across the leads to smooth the signal, which is used to great success in many PWM headlight LED conversions.

Ford Bronco Upgrading from base tail lights to OBX LED Taillights Questions IMG_8380
Thanks for sharing that information. Yes, I had just recently read about PWM, and it makes sense now with the flickering. I looked online for PWM adapters, but could not find any specific to what we need. Most were for headlights.

I looked again the other night with the Bronco running, and the flickering is ever so slight. Not really noticeable from several feet away. I'm just going to live with it for now and see if a solution is offered down the road. It's still a vast improvement over the halogens.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not an OEM solution, but the Oracle flush lights are LED and are (supposedly) plug and play over the base tail lights.
My vote is the Oracle taillights as well. Better protection not having the assembly stick out, and in my opinion also look better, win-win. I've cracked enough Jeep tail lights in the past, would rather have the taillights more integrated with the body.

Otherwise someone posted side by side photos of stock halogen vs led. I kind of prefer the halogen, but bottom line either taillight will get the driver up a mountain trail somewhere, away from anyone who might care about seeing the taillights, that's what it's all about in my book.

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@BamaBronco98 When you made your changes in Forscan, were there other options for tail light features?

Let me add some context, I've been considering this upgrade but hopeful someone would be completely successful before I attempted it.

Logic leads me to believe that FORD having 2 entirely separate wire harness for halogen vs. non-halogen would add unreasonable complexity and cost, and I think I'm generally correct. When I was pulling the interior rear plastic body panel off my base 2 door for a different project (halogen, no BLIS) I noticed that their was a connector on the main harness that then goes to the taillight connecter.

I counted 8 wires going into that connector, and only 7 coming out:

GN/BN - reverse
BU/GY - park
WH/GN - stop/turn (driver)
BK/GY- ground
WH/BL - unknown
Yellow(purple?) -unknown

Now of those 8 wires going in
GN/BN
BU/GY
BK/GY

Those 3 and the unknowns appear to be on both sides of the connection (makes sense, both broncos use the same signals here I believe)
In addition there is a BL/GN which aligns with stop on the LED taillight wiring.

If in Forscan there is some option that turns the stop signal off over the same turn signal wire, I would assume, swapping this section of harness would give amber turn signals. It's possible deactivating this signal also switch off the PWM.

Oh and I'm not sure what part number that would be for both side, but it does exist:

I believe M2DZ13A409H is a possible option. I'll not there seems to be parts specific to production date. M2Dz13k371c look like 2021's to early 2022.

Marked at M2DZ13A409 A&B in the image

Ford Bronco Upgrading from base tail lights to OBX LED Taillights Questions Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 7.26.26 PM
Sponsored

Last edited: