Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You ever find specs for the M1-209 filter? Just hit 2500 miles and am going to do my first change. I usually run Mobil 1 filters.

My one concern about the different filters is what back pressure they generate (at least new) verses flow rate. While the pump is positive displacement that pressure will translate into stress in the oil pump.

Back pressure should increase over time depending on how much crap the filter accumulates. I note the pressure relief is 38% higher in the 400S. That could suggest a typically higher back pressure since I think you said both have the same flow rate range. Or maybe it is expected to go higher before the oil change interval is reached.

As an engineer I recognize the smaller particle size and higher filtration percent requires more surface area to keep pressure from getting higher hence the longer length. Even if it runs higher with a brand-new filter, more frequent oil changes should keep back pressure from reaching higher than the factory filter levels or even keep it from what the factor filter with factory interval sees.
The oil pump is a positive displacement pump, so a little higher resistance in the filter won't have a significant impact on flow rate.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You ever find specs for the M1-209 filter? Just hit 2500 miles and am going to do my first change. I usually run Mobil 1 filters.

My one concern about the different filters is what back pressure they generate (at least new) verses flow rate. While the pump is positive displacement that pressure will translate into stress in the oil pump.

Back pressure should increase over time depending on how much crap the filter accumulates. I note the pressure relief is 38% higher in the 400S. That could suggest a typically higher back pressure since I think you said both have the same flow rate range. Or maybe it is expected to go higher before the oil change interval is reached.

As an engineer I recognize the smaller particle size and higher filtration percent requires more surface area to keep pressure from getting higher hence the longer length. Even if it runs higher with a brand-new filter, more frequent oil changes should keep back pressure from reaching higher than the factory filter levels or even keep it from what the factor filter with factory interval sees.
I did not. If you're able to find out more I am curious.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
The oil pump is a positive displacement pump, so a little higher resistance in the filter won't have a significant impact on flow rate.
Yes I stated it was positive displacement, but the concern I stated wasn't the flow rate.

The concern is the higher back pressure will put extra stress on the pump. Stress that will cause wear and premature failure. 38% higher pressure (inferred by the higher check valve pressure) may not sound significant, but since that is pressure per square inch, the absolute force caused by 38% higher is squared. That means a 90% increase in absolute force.

Now it may be that downstream pressure drops after the oil filter will make that less significant. And as I said in my original comment, back pressure from the filter will go up with use as particles get captured by it, so there is certainly a point it wouldn't be a problem but it may be wise to change it earlier since the highest pressures will be towards the end of the interval.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes I stated it was positive displacement, but the concern I stated wasn't the flow rate.

The concern is the higher back pressure will put extra stress on the pump. Stress that will cause wear and premature failure. 38% higher pressure (inferred by the higher check valve pressure) may not sound significant, but since that is pressure per square inch, the absolute force caused by 38% higher is squared. That means a 90% increase in absolute force.

Now it may be that downstream pressure drops after the oil filter will make that less significant. And as I said in my original comment, back pressure from the filter will go up with use as particles get captured by it, so there is certainly a point it wouldn't be a problem but it may be wise to change it earlier since the highest pressures will be towards the end of the interval.
The pump will have a pressure regulating valve...in the past it was just a ball and spring to relieve pressure. I don't get too concerned over a higher pressure in a PD pump. That is what they are made for. It isn't like running a lot higher pressure with a centrifugal pump where you can get different loading on bearings.

The valve in the filter is also a relief bypass valve. It having a higher rating than a stock filter doesn't really tell you anything about the filter media and its ability to filter at different flow rates/pressure drop. All it says is that the filter housing is capable of handling a higher pressure. Consider that the filter's valve is like a relief valve on a tank/pressure vessel. A higher set point really only says the tank can handle more pressure.

Just my opinion that is worth as much as you paid for it.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
FL-400S next to M1-209 and FL-400S next to a FL-910S.

PXL_20220928_010343807.jpg

Screenshot_20200316-172056_Gallery.jpg
TD, I just noticed something that confuses me. Both pics have a FL-400S and I can see labels on the filters confirming that, but the two FL-400S are different. One has the same wrench pattern as the M1-209A and FL-910S, but the other has a different wrench pattern. What is up with that?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TD, I just noticed something that confuses me. Both pics have a FL-400S and I can see labels on the filters confirming that, but the two FL-400S are different. One has the same wrench pattern as the M1-209A and FL-910S, but the other has a different wrench pattern. What is up with that?
Odd. The bottom pic is older, I stole it off the internet. The top pic are the ones I bought.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Time for another oil change and I started looking into upgrades. The FL-910S is the spec for us, but many other people with other 2.3 equipped cars have switched to the FL-400S. Additionally, the Mobile 1 M1-209 has been discussed as another step up further. I haven't pulled the specs on it yet.

FL-400 Specifications:
Thread Inside Diameter (in.): 3/4"-16
Outside Diameter Top (in.): 2.98"
Outside Diameter Bottom (in.): 2.98" Length (in.): 4.14"
Spin-On Filter: Yes
Bypass Valve: YES Color: White Burst
Pressure (PSI): 250 psi
Pressure Relief Valve: YES
PSI Relief: 20 PSI
Micron Rating: 80%@20um
Height (in.): 4.14"
Seal Outside Diameter (in.): 2.75"
Seal Inside Diameter (in.): 2.40"
Anti-drainback Valve: YES

FL-910S Specifcations:
Thread Inside Diameter (in.):3/4"-16
Outside Diameter Top (in.):3.15"
Outside Diameter Bottom (in.):3.15" Length (in.): 3.36"
Spin-On Filter:Yes
Bypass Valve:YES
Color:White
Burst Pressure (PSI): 250 PSI
Pressure Relief Valve:YES
PSI Relief:14.5 PSI
Micron Rating:50%@35um
Height (in.):3.36"
Seal Outside Diameter (in.): 2.75"
Seal Inside Diameter (in.): 2.40"
Anti-drainback Valve:YES

I'm picking up a FL-400S tomorrow and possibly the M1-209 to compare. Both of these are taller than the FL-910S but it looks like there's plenty of room.

FL-400S next to M1-209 and FL-400S next to a FL-910S.

PXL_20220928_010343807.jpg

Screenshot_20200316-172056_Gallery.jpg
Been watching this thread and approaching oil change time. Did some surfing and came across AFE's "Pro-Guard D2 filters" at a smoking closeout deal at $18 for four filters. I haven't been able to find a huge amount of info but they claim 98% multi-pass efficiency at 25-30 micron NF21 synthetic media. It does have an anti drain back valve and pressure relief valve however I am not able to find the relief pressure.

Does anyone have any experience w/ AFE filters?

https://afepower.com/afe-power-44-lf014-mb-pro-guard-d2-oil-filter-4-pack

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Odd. The bottom pic is older, I stole it off the internet. The top pic are the ones I bought.
I wanted to think you for the M1-209A suggestion. It fits real nice with plenty of space for an end cap type socket wrench and the extra few inches of length makes it easier to reach from either underneath or thru the wheel well.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been watching this thread and approaching oil change time. Did some surfing and came across AFE's "Pro-Guard D2 filters" at a smoking closeout deal at $18 for four filters. I haven't been able to find a huge amount of info but they claim 98% multi-pass efficiency at 25-30 micron NF21 synthetic media. It does have an anti drain back valve and pressure relief valve however I am not able to find the relief pressure.

Does anyone have any experience w/ AFE filters?

https://afepower.com/afe-power-44-lf014-mb-pro-guard-d2-oil-filter-4-pack
No idea on them, but I hope someone chimes in. More data is good.

I wanted to think you for the M1-209A suggestion. It fits real nice with plenty of space for an end cap type socket wrench and the extra few inches of length makes it easier to reach from either underneath or thru the wheel well.
I never thought about that, I've been doing my oil changes from underneath. (all 2 of them) It's pretty easy to reach up and spin it off, then I wipe out the drip tray while I'm down there. (I wipe it out before loosening the filter too, in case there's debris that will block the flow)

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For anyone reading this - The Mountune relocation adapter won't work on Bronco 2.3's.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh yeah I agree it has better filtration, I'm just wondering if there was a reason that they engineered it and stuck the 910S on it. Maybe there isn't a reason they put the 910S on it but it's got me pondering lol
So they can sell more 2.3L Ecoboot Motors!!!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.