Sponsored

Use for the door latch push/pull "lock" button?

theslide

Big Bend
First Name
Slide
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I haven't been able to find an identified use for the door latch push/pull "lock" button (see pic below). The owner's manual does not address it. I assume it is a manual lock--but what would the purpose be if there's already electric lock/unlock buttons? Can someone solve this probably simple mystery?
Ford Bronco Use for the door latch push/pull "lock" button? DoorLatch
Sponsored

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone was born after 2000….

Sponsored

cmcbronco

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not at all. The question is: why is this lock/unlock (ie manual and electric) redundancy needed? Why not just have the electric buttons and be done with it? What’s the point..
Electronics do fail from time to time…

OP
OP
theslide

theslide

Big Bend
First Name
Slide
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Electronics do fail from time to time…
That is true. Yet if that were a widespread concern, why doesn't every vehicle come with both manual and electric lock/unlock buttons? Is the Bronco somehow more susceptible to lock/unlock failure than others? The owners manual doesn't address it at all, leaving it open to question. Anyway--thanks..

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
My 1996 Jeep XJ that I'm sitting in as I type has electronic door locks, yet each door has its own mechanical lock/unlock rocker switch.

I'm sure being locked in your vehicle without electrical power would be fun, especially on a very hot day or while sinking in a body of water. Lol!

Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is true. Yet if that were a widespread concern, why doesn't every vehicle come with both manual and electric lock/unlock buttons? Is the Bronco somehow more susceptible to lock/unlock failure than others? The owners manual doesn't address it at all, leaving it open to question. Anyway--thanks..
It’s redundancy. Considering the rather “extreme” scope of capability the Bronco was built for and what owners might put it through I’m not sure why you have so much concern with it. Ford has been placing mechanical backups in door mechanisms since they started doing electronic releases and locks. This is the mechanical backup

I guess I can forward this through and suggest the owners manual be annotated with a message saying “in case of unexpected system failure such as a broken electrical plug from removal and attachment of doors please remove top panels (hard top) or unlatch the soft top for emergency egress”

OP
OP
theslide

theslide

Big Bend
First Name
Slide
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It’s redundancy. Considering the rather “extreme” scope of capability the Bronco was built for and what owners might put it through I’m not sure why you have so much concern with it. Ford has been placing mechanical backups in door mechanisms since they started doing electronic releases and locks. This is the mechanical backup

I guess I can forward this through and suggest the owners manual be annotated with a message saying “in case of unexpected system failure such as a broken electrical plug from removal and attachment of doors please remove top panels (hard top) or unlatch the soft top for emergency egress”
That's the most plausible reasoning yet. That or what Silver-bolt mentioned that it is required for certain vehicles..

What piqued my curiosity is that neither my Edge or Ranger have the redundant manual/electronic lock feature (just electric) but the Bronco does. The owner's manual glossing over it just made me want to know more as to why. My intention wasn't to p*ss anyone off and I apologize if anyone finds this useless or trivial:)

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Electronics fail quite frequently in car accidents. I’m pretty sure every car comes with manual backup. Doesn’t take much force to rip the wires from the battery. Would you rather slowly burn to death trapped in a car that’s on fire, or would you rather have a double or triple redundant backup system to open your door and get out? Some cars have the door unlock mechanically as well if you pull on the handle from the inside. I’m one of those kinda guys who’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I also carry a glass breaker and seat belt cutter in my pocket at all times. You just never know when shit will save your life.
Sponsored