Sponsored

Use for the door latch push/pull "lock" button?

OP
OP
theslide

theslide

Big Bend
First Name
Slide
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Electronics fail quite frequently in car accidents. I’m pretty sure every car comes with manual backup. Doesn’t take much force to rip the wires from the battery. Would you rather slowly burn to death trapped in a car that’s on fire, or would you rather have a double or triple redundant backup system to open your door and get out? Some cars have the door unlock mechanically as well if you pull on the handle from the inside. I’m one of those kinda guys who’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I also carry a glass breaker and seat belt cutter in my pocket at all times. You just never know when shit will save your life.
Nope. This is why it makes me wonder why my '19 Ford Edge and '20 Ford Ranger only have electronic lock buttons with no manual lock option. There's no consistency..
Sponsored

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. This is why it makes me wonder why my '19 Ford Edge and '20 Ford Ranger only have electronic lock buttons with no manual lock option. There's no consistency..
From the Ranger Owners Manual:

Ford Bronco Use for the door latch push/pull "lock" button? E2C186B0-D0AE-48B1-A27F-DBD186FFA049

TavisB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ManSquatch, 10 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Are you sure about that?

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How are you going to lock it when the battery fails?

Sponsored

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

recently a Tesla caught on fire and the occupant had to kick out the window because the electric only locks didn't work

Debc

Base
First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TAcoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh the Rabbit hole that you have started lol . People are saying so you can get out on a power failure just think tho if windows are up and top is on or closed that window dosent drop so it will hang up door from opening lol

OP
OP
theslide

theslide

Big Bend
First Name
Slide
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Oh the Rabbit hole that you have started lol . People are saying so you can get out on a power failure just think tho if windows are up and top is on or closed that window dosent drop so it will hang up door from opening lol
Also i believe that the double-pull to open/unlock (on the other vehicles with electric lock only) is triggered electronically. So in the event of power failure, the occupant is still screwed..

Last edited:

Destroyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevy SWB NBS, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

recently a Tesla caught on fire and the occupant had to kick out the window because the electric only locks didn't work
Except they have a physical door unlock as well, but the owner didn't know about it. It's a legal requirement for ALL vehicles to have a physical unlock method in the case of an electronic failure for this exact reason.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like a question for the Edge and Ranger forums. "Why don't we have a backup like everyone else?" Or "How can we retrofit this common sense feature into our Edge/Ranger?"

Questioning why this vehicle has _more_ features is like trying to find something to complain about.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Also i believe that the double-pull to open/unlock (on the other vehicles with electric lock only) is triggered electronically. So in the event of power failure, the occupant is still screwed..
Go disconnect the battery in your Ranger and see if you can get out with the doors locked. Report back your findings…

Abundigas

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
That is true. Yet if that were a widespread concern, why doesn't every vehicle come with both manual and electric lock/unlock buttons? Is the Bronco somehow more susceptible to lock/unlock failure than others? The owners manual doesn't address it at all, leaving it open to question. Anyway--thanks..
Its so you can still lock the doors when they are removed........You know to keep them safe from theft

OP
OP
theslide

theslide

Big Bend
First Name
Slide
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sounds like a question for the Edge and Ranger forums. "Why don't we have a backup like everyone else?" Or "How can we retrofit this common sense feature into our Edge/Ranger?"

Questioning why this vehicle has _more_ features is like trying to find something to complain about.
Not really. The forum is about predicated around Bronco related questions. I was genuinely curious and have had some quality replies. You don’t have to answer or even read the question.
Sponsored