Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm not a newb to off road driving, but have questions about using available tech to full advantage. All Broncos have a HERO switch to disable Traction Control, my question is 'When is it advisable to disable Traction Control ? in which off road situations'? In mud and deep snow wheel spin can help. But what about Rocks? TC or no? I would assume leave it engaged. I not getting Sas, so no front locker, will TC help with one front wheel in the air? Input welcome.

And does anyone know if TC is disabled in low range? I which GOAT modes?
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. TC will be turned off by several of the GOAT modes by default. Which I cannot tell you, but it was frequently mentioned by the drivers in all the ride along videos. It will automatically be turned off in 4L regardless of the GOAT mode. Same as my Tremor.

Turn TC off when you need wheel slippage and/or maximum power, such powering through mud or over rocks.

Leave it on for high speed driving or cruising through snow/over gravel (use 4A if you have it) Just think about what you want the tires to actually accomplish in a logical fashion and you’ll generally have your answer.

Your crawl control (if you have an automatic) will handle front wheel slippage for you. I have the same setup in my Ranger Tremor. If you need a front “locker”, just use trail control at <1mph and it’ll handle any wheel slippage automatically. You’ll hear the antilock brakes going nuts, but it’ll get you through the obstacle. Works like a hot damn on the Tremor.

Last edited:

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I typically turn off TC when off-road. I've never found a good reason to have my engine bog when in the woods. I'm not sure how the upcoming Ford Bronco will perform it's traction control duties or allow them to be disabled. I can say that my Tundra cuts engine power until the slipping tire regains traction. My Tundra also has a fake limited slip axle function that engages the brake of the spinning tire, but still causes the engine to bog down. There is a disable process on the Tundra with pressing and holding the VSC button for 3 seconds then releasing twice and viola' all Nanny's are bypassed.

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It can only help you until you're stuck. Like any vehicle, turn off traction control when the vehicle is stuck or you encounter heavy mud or snow at low speeds (driveway etc...). You can cause lots of damage to the transmission otherwise.

OP
OP
dgorsett

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I see TC is disabled always when in 4L. I suppose if all else fails a person could shift into 4H with TC engaged and see if it helps.

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see TC is disabled always when in 4L. I suppose if all else fails a person could shift into 4H with TC engaged and see if it helps.
One time I was so stuck in mud that 4L barely got me rotated around. I had to put it back into 4H and just let the wheel speed get me out. If you are on "The Rocks" in 4L and stuck, you need to winch yourself out. If you try and gas it out you will just break axles (hopefully) or worst case destroy your front diff, transfer case or transmission.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Simply put, when in 4lo ditch the nannies.

Based on the manual's pages 202-206, we have two major nannies, traction control and stability control. Stability control is fully functional when traction control is user disabled. 4lo disables both traction and stability control.
Ford Bronco Using Traction Control Off Road 1623161465005

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Simply put, when in 4lo ditch the nannies.

Based on the manual's pages 202-206, we have two major nannies, traction control and stability control. Stability control is fully functional when traction control is user disabled. 4lo disables both traction and stability control.
Ford Bronco Using Traction Control Off Road 1623161465005
Yes, and I believe the "AdvanceTrac" is the brake limited slip function and that remains unless you hold the button for the five seconds. This is good to leave on unless you have and are using both front and rear lockers.
Sponsored