Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, those saying Torx plus are wrong?
Haven’t installed it yet since I have no Bronco but my T-40 seems to fit, although it does wiggle a bit. Wouldn’t surprise me if Ford was wrong or if the bolts are just super cheap and not a precise fit to any size.
Sponsored

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After seeing the socket wrench that came with the Bronco, nothing in the quality department would surprise me. That socket wrench makes Harbor Freight look like a Snap-On competitor.

That said, I ordered a set of Lisle's T+ for the Bronco. For US made, the price and quality make them a good deal.

Last edited:

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The bronco tool kit is probably harbor freight quality or less. Definitely need a quality bit. Thanks for the heads up.
Actually Harbor Freight offers a life time warranty with the tools they sell ... no questions asked, they will replace it on the spot

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A couple of notes on the torx head screws on the Bronco.
First there are two #30 Torx bits in the tool kit. The chrome one is a standard T30 and the gray one
is a T30+. The only standard T30's I have found are on the four guide pins on the MIC top in the back and they are not marked as "Bronco Bolts".
All of the "Bronco Bolts" I have found are Torx Plus.
Ford Bronco Warning: Bronco bolts strip easily 1640890358085

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bought a t40 bit from auto store to remove bolts to put on a relocated license plate frame…it’s the size you need so keep that in your tool kit

DrBriGuy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A couple of notes on the torx head screws on the Bronco.
First there are two #30 Torx bits in the tool kit. The chrome one is a standard T30 and the gray one
is a T30+. The only standard T30's I have found are on the four guide pins on the MIC top in the back and they are not marked as "Bronco Bolts".
All of the "Bronco Bolts" I have found are Torx Plus.
Ford Bronco Warning: Bronco bolts strip easily 1640890358085
I knew nothing about Torx (other than which ones open my computer) before first trying to remove the mod bumper bolts. Regular T40 worked okay but the bolts were not in there very tight on mine and it was obvious to me the bit was not perfect. I should say, like others, I did not look up the spec before I started removing them but was exceedingly careful as I noticed IP-X tools in the toolbox and T-X in my hand. Clearly this is stuff many in the forum know, but good for everyone to keep in mind our understanding and skill sets are very diverse. To those on the low end (myself included) this thread is a good reminder to slow down, read, and consult. There are many folks here with decades of mechanical experience to tap into. This thread was enlightening! Quick explanation here was interesting, too.

Sponsored

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Defender / 1985 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Umm... I own a Bronco... I develop mounting hardware for Broncos... and i've tried Torx, Torx Security and Torx Plus... soooo that's my my authority on the subject :)

You need a TP40 (Torx #40 PLUS / Torx Plus 40), at least on the front bumper parts. I've used a TP (Torx Plus) on some internal things.

You can test this yourself. If you use a Torx, you'll notice there is a slight play. Use a Torx plus, no play.
Good luck finding a TP40 on a Saturday in a mountain town :-( Wishing you would have tossed one in the box with my lights (or had it as a recommended option.) Really, really, really hard to find (HD, Lowes, Advance, O'reilley, ACE, etc.) Have to wait for Monday to get one from NAPA. So looking forward to my light cluster but now I wait like a sad little boy who doesn't have batteries for his new toy....

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good luck finding a TP40 on a Saturday in a mountain town :-( Wishing you would have tossed one in the box with my lights (or had it as a recommended option.) Really, really, really hard to find (HD, Lowes, Advance, O'reilley, ACE, etc.) Have to wait for Monday to get one from NAPA. So looking forward to my light cluster but now I wait like a sad little boy who doesn't have batteries for his new toy....
At that point why not throw in the wrench also :)

I mean, we sell lights, not hardware and tools lol.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wish websites would say if their products were made in USA or elsewhere. You can never be sure these days, even with so-called American companies.
... yep... HF not the only place that sells tools made out of harborfreightium.

TNSasquatch

Base
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
I appreciate what Sandy Munro told the Mach E engineering chief “a threaded fastener is actually a threaded unfastener”
As well as free labor there I can see 🤣.
I have one of those too. He's a MY2010 though.

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Defender / 1985 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At that point why not throw in the wrench also :)

I mean, we sell lights, not hardware and tools lol.
I mean I get free wrenches with my IKEA shit. Thule engineered a plastic torque wrench for the racks. Not unprecedented :) Not that I actually expect it, i did however expect that someone around here sold it. Can’t even get them at HF!
Sponsored