Weight limit / size limit on the factory spare tire carrier?

Broncridin

First Edition
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Does anyone know the weight limit and or size limit on the spare tire carrier that comes on the Bronco? I have a First Edition on order and plan on up sizing to 37 Maxxis Razr MT so I'm not sure if I will need to invest in a heavy duty tire carrier. I haven't even seen a heavy duty tire carrier for the Bronco yet so hopefully it isn’t needed. I am having the dealer install a 2in lift and trade in the 35's for 37's so I wondering about my spare and if a heavy duty carrier is needed will they even be out by then.

Advertisement

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Willys , '00 BMWZ3, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Not sure about that, but I do remember there being some limit on the size of the tire that would be able to still have the brake light visible, which could be an insurance/ticket issue, I would think. Don't think there was any 'extender' for that - at least at that point.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Zack
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler JKU
Clubs

If it’s anything like Jeep, we wont know what the practical limit is for weight until owners start reporting back that the pinch welds failed after they hung a certain size tire off the back. Ford could state a weight limit for the carrier, but the fact they haven’t by now makes me think they wont ever. (Though, the Bronco coming with 35s from the factory is a good sign.)

As far as the brake light… I believe the recent Town and Country video showed the 37” tire interfering with the CHMSL… but again, like Jeep, there will surely be aftermarket extenders or relocation brackets available.

I guess all that is to say, we don‘t actually know yet.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tacoma, 2016 Camaro, 2018 Indian
Clubs

How long you plan on owning it? I’ll be going bumper mounted tire carrier for long term durability. I doubt the rear gate and hinges will hold up to 10 years use on the trail with a heavy spare mounted on it.

Silver-Bolt

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5
The reality is hanging a 100+ pounds on a hinge attached to sheet metal long term durability is not good. I will be going aftermarket with a bumper mounted version. I did the same on my FJ. Expy-1 make a great setup that opened and closed with the rear door. Betting they will do the same with the Bronco.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
I thought you were gonna flip yours when it came in? Why put money into it?

OP
OP
Broncridin

Broncridin

First Edition
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I'm going to drive it for awhile. Why are you concerned about it?

Wizard1183

Badlands
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Does anyone know the weight limit and or size limit on the spare tire carrier that comes on the Bronco? I have a First Edition on order and plan on up sizing to 37 Maxxis Razr MT so I'm not sure if I will need to invest in a heavy duty tire carrier. I haven't even seen a heavy duty tire carrier for the Bronco yet so hopefully it isn’t needed. I am having the dealer install a 2in lift and trade in the 35's for 37's so I wondering about my spare and if a heavy duty carrier is needed will they even be out by then.
Put 44s on it. You’ll be good to go

Advertisement

Ridergraphix

Advertisement