Sponsored

What dashcams work with the Dongar tech mirror adapter besides garmin mini?

Inchworm

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What dashcams work with the Dongar tech mirror adapter besides garmin mini? Thank you
Sponsored

OP
OP

Inchworm

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a Viofo A129 pro hooked up with the dongar mirror adapter for power…. Just dosnt give me parking mode. I’ll hardwire it as soon as weather gets better and I have time.
Does parking mode not work bc of the Dongar? It needs to be hard wired to record in parking mode?

JB4Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford f 150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does parking mode not work bc of the Dongar? It needs to be hard wired to record in parking mode?
Yes it needs to be powered to a constant power so that it does not turn off when the vehicle is off.

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think any that is USB powered should work, but can I ask why you don't want the Garmin Mini 2? That's actually exactly what I have with the Dongar adapter and it's a great little camera that's basically invisible behind the mirror

Sponsored
OP
OP

Inchworm

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think any that is USB powered should work, but can I ask why you don't want the Garmin Mini 2? That's actually exactly what I have with the Dongar adapter and it's a great little camera that's basically invisible behind the mirror
Never said I don’t want the mini just looking for all options prior to buying one. Does the mini have a parking mode that works with the car off? Just trying to find the best possible option that’s all!

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Never said I don’t want the mini just looking for all options prior to buying one. Does the mini have a parking mode that works with the car off? Just trying to find the best possible option that’s all!
Unfortunately mine doesn't, but I think that's more because of the dongar adapter than anything. The power of the mirror turns off from the car is off so I don't think any dash cam will have a parking mode if that's how you install it. I could be wrong but I think Garmin sells a kit that you can use to power the dash cam when your car is off though.

Nosferatu

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep. I use that combo in my F350. Works great and got put to use within the first 2 weeks when a rogue wheel came off an oncoming 5th wheel trailer and smacked the front end of the truck. It was good backup to show the insurance company.

Changa

Outer Banks
First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just installed the Dongar adapter with the Garmin mini 2 and so far I like it. The only headache is attempting to connect to the Garmin's WiFi. It's a constant battle with my Apple Carplay. I am still trying to find the workaround for that.

Last edited:

mohner72

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruuser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just installed the Dongar adapter with the Garmin mini 2 and so far I like it. The only headache is attempting to connect to the Garmin's WiFi. It's a constant battle with my Apple Carplay. I am still trying to find the workaround for that.
I have the same issue, I have to disconnect Apple Car Play in order to connect to the Garmin Mini 2. Frustrating to say the least. If you find a workaround other than disconnecting please share.

Sponsored

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just got the Ring Car Cam today, it looks promising, it's powered through the OBD-II port and if you pay for a subscription it will run over LTE Cellular, otherwise it's only through wi-fi, but it does store videos on it.

IMG_0937-XL.jpg

IMG_0939-XL.png

It caught me in my garage, when I climbed up on the rear tire to get something off the roof rack.

It can also do two-way talk. Has a privacy feature for the inside and you can tell it to record a traffic stop, etc.

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same Wi-Fi issue with Thinkware cameras. I have found going into the phones settings and disabling the auto connect Wi-Fi for the bronco works. Just have to remember to change it back when done or you get the plug the phone in warning. At home I just use the ipad to connect for setting changes or file downloads.

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO that works fine with that USB adapter.

Changa

Outer Banks
First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just got the Ring Car Cam today, it looks promising, it's powered through the OBD-II port and if you pay for a subscription it will run over LTE Cellular, otherwise it's only through wi-fi, but it does store videos on it.

Ford Bronco What dashcams work with the Dongar tech mirror adapter besides garmin mini? RingVideo_20230217_192122.MP

Ford Bronco What dashcams work with the Dongar tech mirror adapter besides garmin mini? RingVideo_20230217_192122.MP

It caught me in my garage, when I climbed up on the rear tire to get something off the roof rack.

It can also do two-way talk. Has a privacy feature for the inside and you can tell it to record a traffic stop, etc.

Hey fellow Pflugervillian! Thank you for sharing this. I was curious how this one was since it was just released. I use Ring cameras all around my house/doorbell, so I was hopeful for this one to keep utilizing the same app. So far, the reviews do not look so great from what I am reading online. My biggest concern is the quality and not being able to read license plates clearly is what I am seeing. Curious to see how it pans out overtime.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey fellow Pflugervillian! Thank you for sharing this. I was curious how this one was since it was just released. I use Ring cameras all around my house/doorbell, so I was hopeful for this one to keep utilizing the same app. So far, the reviews do not look so great from what I am reading online. My biggest concern is the quality and not being able to read license plates clearly is what I am seeing. Curious to see how it pans out overtime.
I'll let you know, been modifying my Bronco and driving my truck, but I will test it while driving and see what it actually does.
Sponsored